Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12V Sockets Not Charging Phone

schnoodles

I need a bit of advice please. My phone is constantly discharging when plugged into either 12V socket of my new Focus Mk III. I've tried a variety of chargers and cables (up to 2.1 amps), and in all instances, while the phone correctly reports that it's plugged into an AC power source, it discharges faster than it charges. It charged with no problems in my previous car, and it charges fine even when connected to a USB port on a PC.

Any thoughts? It seems to me that the car is limiting the current that the phone can draw, but this would seem odd. Could it be a fault with the car?

Do you have other items you could try such as a GPS unit? best get a multimeter to see if its +12v or -12v.

Do you have other items you could try such as a GPS unit? best get a multimeter to see if its +12v or -12v.

Nothing directly comparable. As I said though, it worked fine in the previous car and charges over PC USB, so the issue doesn't seem to be the phone. My knowledge of electrics isn't great, so I don't know what you mean by "+12v or -12v".

It would be the charger itself I would have thought which can control current.

The 12V sockets are usually rated for around 150W, so powering a 5V transformer to provide 500-2000mA should be no problem.

What type of charger are you using?

Also it is not just that you are asking so much of the phone when in the car it is using battery faster than it can charge it? (I had a phone like that once).

It would be the charger itself I would have thought which can control current.

The 12V sockets are usually rated for around 150W, so powering a 5V transformer to provide 500-2000mA should be no problem.

What type of charger are you using?

Also it is not just that you are asking so much of the phone when in the car it is using battery faster than it can charge it? (I had a phone like that once).

I've tried three different chargers, including the branded charger specific to the phone. Also, one of the chargers I tested was previously working fine in my last car.

While it's possible for a phone to discharge the battery faster than a power outlet can provide charge, that really shouldn't be the case here. Like I said, the phone charges fine over USB (which provides less current than the 12V chargers), and it worked fine in the previous car.

With the same stuff running on the phone, I can watch it discharge when plugged into any of the car chargers, then walk over to a PC and plug it into a USB port and watch it start to charge. As far as I can work out, the single point of failure here is the car.

Is it the same with engine on/off?

I cant remember if the 12v sockets even power up in my Focus with engine off.

Is it the same with engine on/off?

I cant remember if the 12v sockets even power up in my Focus with engine off.

Yes. I've tried it with everything off, with the electrics on, and with the engine running. There's power over the 12V connection, but just not enough to stop the phone discharging. I'd say the drain on the phone was too great, or the 12V adapters weren't providing enough current, but I've ruled those possibilities out as detailed above. I'm stumped.

Do you have the USB port on your Focus?

Have you tried to see if that charges it?

Sorry i meant + and - because if - it will draw power from your phone battery.

Best bet is to get a multimeter and check the full 12v is there.

What phone are you using?

Usually phones have diodes in their charging circuits to protects the battery, but there seems to be something up.

Might also be worth going back to the dealer and getting them to check the 12V - Do you also have the rear 12v socket you can try?

Sorry i meant + and - because if - it will draw power from your phone battery.

Best bet is to get a multimeter and check the full 12v is there.

What phone are you using?

Sony Xperia Z

Usually phones have diodes in their charging circuits to protects the battery, but there seems to be something up.

Might also be worth going back to the dealer and getting them to check the 12V - Do you also have the rear 12v socket you can try?

Yeah, I've tried the rear socket - same result.

Do you have the USB port on your Focus?

Have you tried to see if that charges it?

I've got a USB port, I've thought about trying it, but the problem is that if I plug the phone into the USB port, Sync will try and index the 64 gig of music that I have on there and build voice commands for it, which I really don't want.

I have the same phone and car (but without sync).

I haven't actually needed to charge my phone via the 12v socket yet, but I could certainly give it a go. I've got an el cheapo charger and htc in car charger I could try.

The phone defaults to connecting via MTP over USB, I'm not sure if Sync can actually connect via that? I would have thought it needs Mass Storage mode.

I have the same phone and car (but without sync).

I haven't actually needed to charge my phone via the 12v socket yet, but I could certainly give it a go. I've got an el cheapo charger and htc in car charger I could try.

The phone defaults to connecting via MTP over USB, I'm not sure if Sync can actually connect via that? I would have thought it needs Mass Storage mode.

That would be helpful, thanks. I'm starting to feel that the problem is specific to this car.

The MTP thing hadn't occured to me. I'll hook the phone up to the USB port on the way home from work and see if it charges.

Oh, and out of curiosity, how do you not have sync on a new Titanium X? :wacko:

Sync was only added from around Q3 2012.

My Focus was built 25th May 2012.

I'm actually quite glad from the horror stories I have been hearing, plus I have directional controls for the HU on my steering wheel, which is so much better for safely navigating my usb stick.

Sync was only added from around Q3 2012.

My Focus was built 25th May 2012.

I'm actually quite glad from the horror stories I have been hearing, plus I have directional controls for the HU on my steering wheel, which is so much better for safely navigating my usb stick.

Syn has worked flawlessly for me with a 500gig HD connected. The lack of directional controls on the steering wheel bugs me, but most of the down side is mitigated by the voice control, which (despite being sceptical) I've found incredibly accurate and intuitive.

I guess it's a trade-off. The voice control is a lot better for finding music than directional controls, but on those occasions when you need to navigate manually (like searching through a list of albums when you can't remember the name of the one you're looking for), the lack of steering wheel controls is a pain.

Turned on nfc, bluetooth, GPS and data then used my HTC car charger on the way home and it definitely charged the battery.

Might be worth taking it to your dealer and see if they can check it out.

It's normal for your phone to discharge like this sometimes, it helps to protect the battery long term life. Leave it to charge/discharge completely once the phone has discharged properly it will recharge, it may turn off.

Check your phone manual for phone intake voltage and amps, check the CHARGER for correct outputs, A good battery should produce more than 12v.

A car battery will always produce more voltage and amps than required for any phone or laptop in general as it's DC to DC (Domestic chargers are AC to DC) so really if the 12v socket works for anything its more than good enough for a phone. If an incorrect charger has been used at any point it could have damaged the phone battery stopping it from charging beyond a certain point.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club