Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Drivers Side Knocking

Avenger1978

i keep getting a knock like a bang from the rear drivers side, sounds like its coming from above the wheel or boot floor (maybe its a strut) i dont no, but it sounds like its getting worse every time i go over a speed bump, road grate... even when i brake it knocks,i have checked every thing, the springs under the car there only 5 months old, even changed the exhaust thinking it was that took every thing out of the boot spare tyre and tools drove it..Knock still there, took the rear wheel off cant find nothing even after jumping up and down to make the noise again still cant find the loud knock..

Only thing i can think it could be is the strut. would that make a loud bang?

subframe bushes,or swing arm bush,anti roll bar bush??

I have exact same prob i think & thats even after replacing subframe and trailing arms. Normally if its subframe bushes you can tell by jacking car up & levering SF with a crowbar. I think its a strut related problem. Never had em out to get a look at mounts but im gonna......soon lol

i think im going to have alook at my strut on weekend plenty of mondeos diesels in scrappy. going to get all the unit off in one so i dont after mess with spring (never have since i seen one hit someone in nose didnt look pretty) anyhows i will tell you if it cures the problem when i have refitted it

Did you see the polish guy on tv that broke his finger/s in a compressor? Looked painful. A mate o mines has the sealey tool that goes in a vice & a windy gun goes on end of it. Great tool

Did you see the polish guy on tv that broke his finger/s in a compressor? Looked painful. A mate o mines has the sealey tool that goes in a vice & a windy gun goes on end of it. Great tool

I can imagine. I had a close encounter with the old cheapo type compressors a while back and have since binned them for a hydraulic unit which is absolutely superb!

I was tightening the compressors when all of a sudden they twanged together! It was good fun trying to get then back off

Have a look at the rear drop link bushes while you under there, it's a common fault on the mondy

Any joy with it?

work called me in Saturday. so didnt get the part to sunday, wasnt goin to risk fixing it just in case i broke a bolt or something has i had work at 5am..so going to to do it this Saturday hopefully i get the weekend off to sort it

• 3 weeks later...

got round doing it today changed both the shocks,springs and struts, but the banging noise is still there seems its getting worse im totally lost now, been under car all weekend looking, all bush's are ok every thing seems ok, but cant get it to make that noise whilst not moving. It does sound like the bang is coming from under the boot floor near the wheel arch drivers side so maybe its the rear subframe..also i have noticed the car bounces.... well its hard to explain... more like moves sideways...say im going round a corner and hit a grate, or pothole. you can feel the rear has just moved sideways and swing back to the otherside like a wobble but sideways lol dont no if thats just mondeo's but never had a car do that before

yep rear sub bushes id say. mondeo's tend to skip out at the back when going round bends. my mk4 golf did it also. its due to them not having a rear axle. you should see how a mk5 golf drives.aaahhh now theres a lovely bit a cornering

How hard is it to change the rear sub bush's?

It can be an absolute pig of a job,i did the bushes on a subframe i had lying as a spare & it took about 3 hrs to get em out/in. If u have the proper bush puller it'd be easier. I wouldnt try it again unless youre taking the whole subframe off & using a press to get them out/in.