Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking Sound From Rear When Going Over Any Kind Of Bump

joepop

Hi guys

I have a very annoying problem that no one seems to be able to solve. Whenever I go over a bump, large or small, there is a knocking sound that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car. I had my mechanic look at it and he thought it might be a loose heat shield. I have checked these and it is not.

I had it looked at by Kwik fit and they relieved me of 70 quid for a rear link of some sort but it was not that.

By the way, the knocking does not happen if I apply the brakes or have the handbrake almost fully up.

My hand brake has been checked and is meant to be fine.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Another problem is a constant whizzing sound whenever I accelarate and the turbo kicks in. The pipes are fine from what I have been told and I have been told the turbo is fine and that some cars are just like that. I do not believe that as it was not making the whizzing sound before.

Please help before I get fleeced!!!!

Cheers

I have a similar noise on mine from the rear drivers side. But it sounds like the spring on mine but i havent had it checked yet as its not all the time and the cars sits and feels fine.

Mines the upper bushes that connect the suspension/frame arms to the body. (Up on inside of rear wheels). Clang like billio.

Thanks for that. My mechanic has looked at it and can not work it out as being anything obvious. It's definitely something to do with the rear drivers side wheel. We tried bouncing the car up and down and the noise was not there but driving forward over anything and it makes the noise. This suggests that it's actually the forward motion instead of the up and down motion. I will have to try the upper bushes. Are they expensive? Do you know what right name for it is as upper bushes are coming up as rubber bits on eBay whereas I need to get the metal part that goes up into the wheel arch?

Cheers

Shock obsorber top mounts do this. Its difficult to trace as it only occurs with the full weight of the car on them. You wont find any play with the car up in the air. You find you get a knocking noise traveling along a road with the slightest ripple in it.

It is a common issue on all cars, not just Fords.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

hi guys

i have a knocking noise when i am doing between 60-75 on a motorway, the noise is like when you are going over a cats eye, that is the only way i describe it, any ideas, my car is a ford fiesta zetec 1.2 year 2012.

Emal.

Some bump mate!

does the knock get faster or slower depending on how quick you are going?

if no then look at the handbrake lines to make sure its clipped on, mine did that for a while, the air was moving it about at high speed

• Like 1

Some bump mate!

does the knock get faster or slower depending on how quick you are going?

if no then look at the handbrake lines to make sure its clipped on, mine did that for a while, the air was moving it about at high speed

Hi Dee 82

the knocking sound is like someone is hammering underneath, not sure but i have scraped the bottom a few times,as the underneath seams a bit low, not sure if i have knocked something, i have had a machanic look underneath but he says there is nothing loose, shall i ask him to look at what you said the handbrake, as for the knocking sound it self it don't get faster or slower if that makes sense, it might happen a couple of times or it might only knock once or twice.

Hammering ??

To me it sounds like the exhaust hitting a heat shield or a bent heat shield scraping against the control blade rear suspension

Jamie

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Had a knocking on my galaxy,the same symtoms as gazsutton and i found it was stones in the rear lower spring platform, stones get trapped in the spring. It has happened twice so far, very easy fix.

• 6 months later...

Just got round a corner going left and a loud bang to the underside. I am now getting a small kind of hollow sound now and again 

If you get a ride like the rear is sliding , it's your trailing arm bushes . Mines done that and knocked aswell

• 2 years later...
On 8/2/2013 at 5:55 PM, joepop said:

OK thanks guys. I will ask my mechanic about both options.

Thanks

Dragging up anmold thread but did.you ever find out what it is? Thamks

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club