Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cylinder Head Removal Ka Mk1

pullark

Hi,

I have recently acquired a 2001 Ka with Endura 1.3 engine. The car has suspected blown head gasket or cracked head. I want to take the head off to see what's happening and then I can decide whether to repair or get a second hand motor off a local wrecker.

I don't have a workshop manual yet but will have one by the end of this week hopefully. In the meantime I'd like to get started and I just need some general guidance about head removal. In particular separating everything on the inlet side. Is it possible and advisable to remove the head with intake manifold and throttle body still attached? Looks like some manifold bolts would be difficult to get at if it needs to be removed prior to lifting the head. Any other tricks or issues to be aware of.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

i always undo the manifold, all the studs can be accessed with 3/8thdrive sockets and extensions long enough to allow ratchet to be worked behind the manifold...but either way will work, so whatever you find easier to do really.

removing the head is quite a straightforward task really, maybe worth soaking the spark plugs (coca cola works really well) as its common for them to snap off in the head...but because your taking head off anyway even that is much less of a drama...in fact, if plugs seem tight, dont remove them till head is off...then you can soak the thread from below which will have better chance of working

Thanks for that Tony. I will try and separate the inlet manifold then. Have not tried to remove plugs yet but gave them a squirt of Inox last night knowing they can be troublesome.

Cheers

i dont normally remove either of the manifolds, just undo and pull away from head,j

Hi, Just thought I'd update you on head removal job. I lifted the head off and have taken it to be tested for cracking and if OK will get it skimmed and put it back on. What a !Removed! of a job... I cannot see how you can undo the bottom bolts on the inlet manifold if working from above the engine. I undid various electrical connectors and then rotated head 90 degrees to get the manifold bolts out. This engine is really shoe-horned into the car. Headbolts were incredibly tight. Really had to lean on a bar to crack them. Plugs all came out OK so that was good.

One thing I can't work out is how to get the vaccum line out of the manifold or alternatively the brake booster. Normally these can be prised/wiggled out of their fitting but on this car the thing won't budge. Does anyone know how these are removed on the Endura E engine? I want to refit the manifold to the head on the bench before I reattach the head back onto the engine block. The vacuum hose is now the only thing securing the manifold to the engine bay.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

cant remember tbh, but why not just pull the pipe from the servo unit, give it plenty of wd40 and lever out with a screwdriver carefully

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club