Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removal Of Mk2 Power Output Socket :/

1stghia

Hi all,

So I have got hold of a ashtray/storage compartment for my ghia finally £20 in mint condition :D

Was just having a quick look on removing the power outlet socket where the ashtray fits but cannot for the life of me work out how to remove it in such a small space (lower trim removed in foot well) I thought I bookmarked a guide but alas no :( Any help on removing this would be appreciated or even a link to a guide :D

Also the back of the power outlet seems to have only 2 connecting wires oon the back (can't be 100% as couldn't get in there far enough) and the cig lighter in the ashtray has 3 :/ Does this mean the lighter led has no power when connected or does it wire somewhere different?

many thanks for any help :)

Is it just the socket you want out? If so, there's 2 small plastic tabs that you need to carefully depress with a screwdriver and gently pull up.

Be warned: the tabs are VERY fragile

The third wire would be for light?

SeanW

yes it's the socket I want out, but out of the console not the ashtray, i can't get behind to see the rear of the power output socket :(

Mr_Spock

Yes the 3rd connector is for the ashtray lighter led, but there only seems to be two connectors behind the power output socket thats standard in the console.

It would help if I didn't have hands like dinner plates I must admit lolol

Haynes manual is abut as useful as a chocolate fireguard!

Edited by 1stghia

SeanW

yes it's the socket I want out, but out of the console not the ashtray, i can't get behind to see the rear of the power output socket :(

Mr_Spock

Yes the 3rd connector is for the ashtray lighter led, but there only seems to be two connectors behind the power output socket thats standard in the console.

It would help if I didn't have hands like dinner plates I must admit lolol

Haynes manual is abut as useful as a chocolate fireguard!

I have Power Outlet in my console, first owner did not smoke i would belive :) - and there are only two wires connected behind the outlet - the third - for light is just bent back and not in use.

It sure is a tight space there. I installed a 12V relay to turn of and on the Power Outlet - with the ignition. As I am using the power outlet with a dashcam. And it was not easy to get hold of the wires.

The wire for socket illumination is taped back on the loom behind the socket, just connect it to the bulb holder connector and the earth is provided by a metal spring tab which contacts wirh the outer metal sleeve of the socket.

The locking/locating/insulating ring on the outside of the lighter socket is black plastic with a fake bulb holder sleeve on one side, it basically stops the socket from easily pulling out of the original hole, for an illuminated ring you need to buy a OEM red or green one which has the bulb and contacts included and is clear to allow the light through.

The socket has (as stated earlier) two small tabs which hook into the metal sleeve to lock it into place and are an absolute swine to get out, the easiest option is to snap or cut the black tube off the side of the old ring so the socket can just be pulled out.

Ford do have a proper socket removal tool but I've only found them available on eBay from America and cost a lot to buy and post-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Ford-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Point-Socket-Remover-501-039-Fast-Shipping-/261168050102?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3cced42fb6

Some pics that may help-

Black ring detail for orientation-

BlankLighterSocketRear.jpg

Side view of Black Ring-

BlankLighterSocket.jpg

How you need to cut the tube off to get the socket out of the dash without pushing the tabs or too much fuss-

CutOffBlankLighterSocket.jpg

The ring you need for adding illumination-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAR-LIGHTER-LUMINOUS-RING-Green-/231023594760?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35ca144d08

An option you can try is to get a piece of plastic (old loyalty card or basic windscreen scraper, as long as it's cuttable and reasonably tough) or metal and using the inner dimensions of the lighter socket (22mm plus a couple each side) so the tool will push the tabs out and then hook into the holes to allow the socket to be pulled forward.

YAH HAY

:D Finally did it no more gapping hole in the console :D

Boy did it get warm in the footwell :( went in through the drivers lower trim panel, finally loosened the clips on the power output socket but there was a cylindrical (sp) shape piece of plastic I could not budge what so ever, I ended up chewing it off with long nose pliers :D

Saw what my mistake was straight off in thinking there should be 3 connectors, the lighter itself has a 2into1 block and I found the illumination wire as stated by you kind folks bent back on itself and taped up. (you dont get much slack to attach these connectors)

All in and working as it should. No one! smokes in my car lol its too clean inside. I just didn't like the void behind the gear stick, but as it could be illuminated I wanted it working ;)

Now to wrap or not to wrap :/

many thanks for you guys taking the time to help out it is much appreciated. :D :D

• Like 1

Sorry mate, I meant to say the tabs are inside the barrel itself...hopefully this picture has attached...

post-37110-0-41191800-1375190372_thumb.p

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club