Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How is your number plate attached?

Nipz

My number plate has been replaced once already because they managed to crack the lettering, making the car look bad, and is getting replaced again tomorrow because they did it again!

So i was wondering if there is a different way they can attach my number plate without screws, as they seam to be unable to do it without braking stuff!

My dads Merc has a holder that is screwed onto the car with the number plate sitting in it, which is a really nice look. Is there anything like this that Ford do?

Cheers in advance :)

Yeah I am sure you can get a holder thing in chrom finish, my OH just has his held on with heavy duty double sided pads!!!!!! ours is screwed on with horrid silver screws, we did ask when they put the private plate on if they could use colour caps to cover but hey no they cannot do that :rolleyes:

When you say colour clips you mean the yellow or black bits over the screws?

Ive told them ive not paid £12,000 for the car with a cracked plate and im really not happy. So just have to see what can be done.

Quite right Nipz. From what I have seen with the fiesta's without registrations at the dealers the plate screws into a metal frame does it not? You might be better off getting the plates made from the ford garage and then installing them yourself. I had a similar problem with my corsa, Halfords built and applied my custom palte.

However it wasn't square and a very ppor finish. I went to a local independent car all parts bloke (like a corner shop for cars) and got him to make me the front and back plate for £15. I then drilled the hole's myself and screwed it into the correct holes for the car. It's important to say at this point if your going to do that use a hand drill, (i.e. one that you turn the handel which rotates the drill-bit) as an electric one is too furoscious.

Also be aware that certain people (Halfords included) just drill the holes wherever in the numberplate and then screw it right into the cars bodywork, regardless of wether there are holes to accomodate the screws or not (i.e. they make new holes). Halfords did this with the first screw so I shouted at them and told them to do it properly.

Regarding the colour coodination, if the screw goes through the letters (like in my corsa) I just painted the screws black, and it works perfectly. If they go through the yellow its probably best to get some caps. I'm sure you can get black caps too, but not sure how much they cost.

Hope that helps. :)

Quite right Nipz. From what I have seen with the fiesta's without registrations at the dealers the plate screws into a metal frame does it not? You might be better off getting the plates made from the ford garage and then installing them yourself. I had a similar problem with my corsa, halfords built and applied my custom palte.

However it wasn't square and a very ppor finish. I went to a local independent car all parts bloke (like a corner shop for cars) and got him to make me the front and back plate for £15. I then drilled the hole's myself and screwed it into the correct holes for the car. It's important to say at this point if your going to do that use a hand drill, (i.e. one that you turn the handel which rotates the drill-bit) as an electric one is too furoscious.

Also be aware that certain people (halfords included) just drill the holes wherever in the numberplate and then screw it right into the cars bodywork, regardless of wether there are holes to accomodate the screws or not (i.e. they make new holes). Halfords did this with the first screw so I shouted at them and told them to do it properly.

Regarding the colour coodination, if the screw goes through the letters (like in my corsa) I just painted the screws black, and it works perfectly. If they go through the yellow its probably best to get some caps. I'm sure you can get black caps too, but not sure how much they cost.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks mate.

Ive just googled and found some chrome holders which look nice. So if they cant offer me anything for free to solve my problem i will just get them to make me new plates with no holes and fit them myself. I really dont want to have any holes on show if i can help it!

I would have thought double sided pads would do but heavy duty ones to keep it looking neat without screws, like Michelle mentioned just make sure they supply the plate with no wholes drilled out!! Our car though has screws to hold the plate on and they are not cracked.

My plates are screwed on. But to stop theiving little sods from nicking my plates, i've used some Anti Theft screws :) Made by Richbrook and i've had my friends try to undo the screw without the special tool - with no luck :)

Clicky to see

Also, if your not too keen on screwed on plates, theres one more option which is this

My plates are screwed on. But to stop theiving little sods from nicking my plates, i've used some Anti Theft screws :) Made by Richbrook and i've had my friends try to undo the screw without the special tool - with no luck :)

Clicky to see

Also, if your not too keen on screwed on plates, theres one more option which is this

The anti theft screws look smart.

Do really want a chrome (if possible) holder for it so there are no screws to crack anything :) Just gonna have to speak to them tomorrow about what they can offer me.

chrome plate holders look tacky, very tacky.

you can get the screw covers from Halfords if you need to. as long as the screws arnt done up to tight then it shouldnt crack again.

its best to take the plate off every time u wash the car anyway

chrome plate holders look tacky, very tacky.

you can get the screw covers from halfords if you need to. as long as the screws arnt done up to tight then it shouldnt crack again.

its best to take the plate off every time u wash the car anyway

Mine are screwed on and look fine--I told the garage to be careful where the screw went as I have a personal plate and didn't want the screw through the letter etc.

The other option, which I did on my Astra TT, is double sided sticky tape available from any motor factors.

It's not strong enough to hold the number plate on a curve so you'd have no choice but to use screws there.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club