Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Owl Hooting Noise When Accellerating Help!

gwengo

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my 2002 1.8 TDCi that is both very annoying and very embarrising at the same time. With a cold engine, it runs fine, no unusual noises and idles and revs correctly. Once I have been driving for approximately 20mins and the engine has reached running temperature, the car develops a very unusual sound when I'm accellerating and my revs reach around the 2000 mark. It sounds like what I can only describe as an elongated owl hoot (sounds stupid I know). Even when I lift my foot off the accellerator and the revs drop, it's still present and the dies down the lower the revs get.

Trying to cruise along in this nice hot weather, shades on windows down, stop at traffic lights, pretty girls walk by :wub: , accellerate off and my car does that :o :unsure:. zero cool points for me!!!!

I hope it's not, but I think it may be something to do with the turbo. If it is, then this car is gonna be scrapped as I really can't afford anymore repairs on this car, especially not a new turbo anyway.

Has anyone else experienced this noise. Any advice/guidence will be much appreciated!!

Have you had your wheel bearings looked at?

Sometimes they can make that noise.

• Like 1

When was the air filter last changed?

My mums card did something similar when it was in need of changing, also if it has got wet it can make funky noises too.

Does it make the noise just revving the engine or only when moving?

Have you had your wheel bearings looked at?

Sometimes they can make that noise.

Agree, I had the same problem on my car.

It was making any sound if speed was lower then 30mph

As soon as it was getting higher it was making terrible noise. Same as you described.

When you hear that sound try to make some sharp turns to the left or right. If sound disapears when you turn the steering wheel then they are definitely the wheel bearings.

You can also heat up the engine up to the normal temperature and then stop somewhere at the car park. Put it into neutral and then accelerate so revs go up to 2000-3000

If the engine does not make the same noise then it has nothing to do with the engine itself, It's most definitely the bearings. just need to find which ones ;)

sounds like a split pipe

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't think it's the wheel bearings as it happens when the car is stationary and I rev the engine. It does seem to be louder when the car is in lower gears and when it reach 4th or 5th it seems to disappear.

@alexp999: I have had the air filter out and given it a brush off. The car was serviced about 3 months ago, where I would presume they changed the air filter, but it did look rather dirty so I'm starting to question if it was changed in the last service. Might just change it anyway to see if that does the trick.

I have had the intercooler off and checked the pipes around the engine bay and they all seem ok.

Think I might try and record the sound, as it will give you a better idea of what it sounds like rather than my dodgy description :)

@Gerhardva: Funily enough, I only started hearing the noise after my last service at "Kwik !Removed!" I wonder if they've fooked something up?

@stooge75: Sorry to sound like a noob, but where would I look for the vacuum or air leek?

God knows mate, If I find out that they've fooked up my car, I'm taking KF to court. !Removed! Cowboys!!!!!

Is that a guess about the turbo bearings? Is there anything that I can inspect for myself to prove your theory?

Possible Manifold leak maybe?

Still say its air leak-split or hole in a pipe.If u open bonnet & rev engine do you hear it?

They wouldnt put anything but 5/30 in it & its no difference if its full or semi synthetic.

One more thing,is air box screwed down properly?

Yeah mate, once the engine is at temperature and I lift the bonnet and give it a rev, then noise is there. I did check the air box and it's all screwed down correctly. Though I must admit I haven't yet removed and checked the pipe that leads to the turbo. Might have to do that tomorrow if the dry weather holds out long enough.

Thanks for your opinion Stooge I really hope that it is just as simple as replacing a pipe :)

Ive got a similar noise but just audible & no more,wi bonnet open. 10 mins ago i just found a teeny weeny split/hole just before jubilee clip on turbo air pipe,but too dark to do anything tho.

I had my inlet manifold off a while back & torque the bolts up wrong(idiot). Im wondering if its maybe slight leak from either of above.if it was inlet manifold tho id expect soot at outside edge. Mmmm. Roll on tomorrow

When you hear the noise again, pull out the dipstick a tad, if it stops, its the oil filter houising.

Right, I have a small clip now of the noise in question rather than my shoddy description.

http://youtu.be/c1ZmX10udfQ

I must agree with Stooge, what would make that noise on the oil filter housing? I do suppose this would make sense as the filter would have been changed in the service. But I don't have any oil leaks?

mmmm.just had a listen. sure sounds like an air leak or vacuum leak id say.(its interesting anyway)

think the only way you'll find it is by someone revving engine(but not a lot),& going over every inch of engine etc.

looking forward to hearing what it is thats causing it.have you had your manifold off or anything?

have you tried tightening up your oil filter housing part?was the noise not there before the service?

Ive never heard of filter housing problem though & as i own a mondeo i wouldnt know about their common faults its worth a check as the other guy says

I only starting hearing the noise once the weather got a bit better and I had my window open, this was post service. I didn't notice it before, but that's not to say it wasn't there. I will have a look at the oil filter housing when I get home if it stops raining. I really don't think it is this, but if the noise did start to develop after the service then this could be a possibility, it would be good to rule out anyway. Surely if the oil filter wasn't tight enough then there would be a an oil leak of some sort wouldn't there?

I've had the pipes off that lead over the engine to the intercooler and there are no leaks in them. I've had the air box and filter off and given them a bit of a clean, along with the MAF sensor and pipe. They all look fine. I didn't delve deep enough into the engine to check the turbo pipes, so I guess thats my next port of call after inspecting the oil filter.

I was thinking about taking the manifold off, that way I can check the turbo at the same time. But, I am a bit dubious about it, as I use my car for work and I wouldn't want to mess anything up, taking it apart and putting it back together again. Also I have a 9 week on baby and finding the time to do this job is neigh impossible, even at the weekend :). Is it quite a straight forward job? there's no gaskets or anything like that, that I would have to replace once removed is there? I have had a go at doing things like this before and end up scouring different motor factors for washers and gaskets that need replacing under mr Haynes instruction :D

BTW I even ran a DTC test this morning after I filled up. There are no fault codes jumping up thankfully.

If it only happens above about 1800 - 2000 rpm and drops off again at about the same level I'd say now that it may be the turbo itself.

I put new manifold gaskets on mines but only cos i torqued it up wrongly. You'll need torque wrench though.sometimes the gaskets dont wanna sit right after removing em,but rarely happens.

I still think its an air leak on 1 o those pipes. Hope you find it soon. That would annoy the bejesus outta me!lol

i can't tell you how annoying it is mate. You get stares on the street for all the wrong reasons. Well the rain kept on coming down this evening, but hopefully tomorrow afternoon will be ok so that i can have another look. I'll try and keep the post up-to-date anyway.

• 2 months later...

Right, 2 months on and it seems to be getting worse. I think the car is on its last legs really so I don't want to be spending anymore cash on it with garage diagnostics. Also, I don't seem to have a garage near me that I can really trust so I was hoping that someone else might b able to shed some light on this problem. If it is the turbo thats on it's way out, I think I'm gonna just scrap the car.