Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 Fiesta 1.4 Wont Start

shabazmo

First thing this morning, the fiesta wont start. Not a sound. In fact the ignition does not seem to even switch on. (I have the start button model). The battery was only reading 12v , so i charged it all day and still nothing. Tried jump starting it and no difference. The side lights do come on, but that is about it. No radio either.

Any ideas?

What about immobilizer? Hopefully someone more techical and come in and tell you how to check that.

I had the breakdown people out today, and they could not find the problem. Since the ignition does not even turn on, the steering wheel is locked, and so he could not get it out of the driveway and tow it to a garage. Waiting for a flat loader tomorrow.

this surely can't be the first problem of this kind.

The car has been at the dealer for 2 days and they can't get it started yet. They are waiting for Ford HQ to respond.

Keep us updated! I wonder if the ECU has developed a fault.

• Like 1

The car has been at Fords since Monday and they think its the steering lock ecu. This only applies to cars with keyless entry. Having said that, they can't be sure and have asked Ford HQ who are aware of the problem but dont have a fix for it. Lets see what happens. £261 for the part.

So here is Fords answer. We think it could be the KVM keyless vehicle module at £183 or the electronic steering lock at £267, but can't be sure. Try those first and if not we will look at it again. My dealer has tried everything they can, so we are guessing the steering lock and will replace this first. This could cost a lot more money and Ford are unwilling to help pay for this. There is also labour on top of the above, probably one days labour. Will I buy Ford again? No.

Its hard to understand why you wouldn't buy Ford again, the car is out of warranty, although i think it sounds a little wrong that they are willing to charge you for both parts instead of trying both, and only charging for the one. Hope you get it sorted.

Nathan, my point exactly. As the car is out of waranty, i expect to pay whatever is reasonable for diagnostics parts and labour. But in this instance the dealer is unable to diagnose the problem, which is fine as they can escalate this to Ford UK. I expect Ford to work on the problem until they find a solution. In trying to find a solution, I would expect them to subsidise the dealer for time and parts until they establish a fix. By doing this Ford will learn and issue a bulletin for other dealers to use. Instead, Ford are wiping their hands of a problem they don't understand. It is this lack of support from Ford to their dealer that makes me never to want to buy a Ford again.

By the way I have known my dealer for 16 years and they are excellent and I also think Ford cars are great. The only bit that is missing is the dealer support which surely is critical to protect the brand, espacially with todays computerised cars.

i will post an update next week.

I would have thought that the 'dealer' could try both of these fixes costing them nothing other than time which you will be paying for anyway as if the part makes no difference could be boxed and returned to their parts shop, assuming the dealer has their own parts department.

I don't think the dealer can return the parts. But I now have a satisfactory conclusion. Having escalated my argument with various people within Ford, I stated that I would not authorise repairs until the dealer could diagnose the problem or Ford assisted them with costs should the wrong part be fitted and further diagnostics required. My dealer did however order a part and fixed the problem. It was the electronic steering lock at £267 plus labour. Total £444. This I saw as a very reasonable cost for the problem and happy to pay for it. However Ford, very late in the day, offerred me a free service which I did not ask for nor did I think I needed or deservrd it, given the reasonable cost of the repair. So I told them that, and thanked them very much for their generosity, which I will probably donate to a charity or something.

Now if Ford had suggested to me from the outset that they would cover any false repairs and labour, I would all think, what a fanatastic brand and I want always to be part of it. In any event, I take back what I said, and will consider Ford again.

wasnt with a ford but this happened to a mate with a laguna, another keyless car, it was his steering lock with his. I know its a different manufacturer but the technology is prob about the same.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club