Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Washer Problem (Mk2.5 2008 08 Plate)

stevetuk

Car is an 08 plate MK2.5 focus. I noticed a few days ago that the front washers weren't pumping out screenwash as strongly as usual - it's more of a weak dribble!. Today I noticed that the rear washer isn't working at all.

I've removed the front two washer heads and used a pin to check for blockage, and also detatched the connecting pipe and sucked this to check for a blockage in the pipe, and they're all fine. Haven't checked the rear washer head - not sure how I get to it or remove it.

I can hear the pump working, and the wipers are working so I know it's not a fuse problem. But, does this sound like the pump is the problem?

TIA

Something similar happened to me,I think caused by to much soap i got a narrow tube bought from the homebrew shop lol and pushed it right down in to the washer bottle and syphoned(sucked) all the soap and crap up the tube.You may have to do this a good few times i did but i worked tasted rank too haha.

i wouldnt advise that you put youre mouth round a hose and suck the water out you can contract legionares disease from the stale water in the washer get a hose put it in the washer bottle and rinse it out then try again if theres crud there it will get washed out by the hose

Haha im lucky then! yeah use a hose :)

you must be god only once did i ever have to use my mouth and the taste was horrific i was nearly sick then on the tv they were saying people had contracted legionares disease and it had been traced to foul washer water in there car i felt even less well after seeing that

Ar this was last year I wont be doing it again now i know cheers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ta for the replies. Glad I didn't go the whole hog with syphoning manually then in that case...!

Still not having much luck with it. The rear washer isn't working at all. I read it could be that there's a leak somewhere in the piping but haven't spotted any wet patches inside. Also read it's a complete PITA to get at the pipe for the rear washer/jet so don't really want to fiddle around without knowing what I was doing.

The motor does sound like it's straining a bit. Could it be under-use, e.g. could it have seized up or something?

There is a fine filter between the tank and pump, that could easily be gunged up.

Also most washer fluids you can buy have a bitterant added so as to prevent accidental consumption, tastes foul.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out the pump was shot so I had to get that replaced :(

What's strange is that I changed the screen wash to Autoglym Ultimate (quick clear) about a week before the problems started, and at the same time I also refilled the parent's car with it - now theirs is having exactly the same problem.... :S

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club