Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Head Unit on New Mk7

TitaniumSteve

would be really smart if there was a way to replace the main screen there on the fiesta with an ipod touch screen, would look really smart

Only thing with removing the screen is....its actually the screen/controller which "controls" the entire system.....and the security aspects of the system are in the screen and not the main CD unit....so removing it would make the entire audio system not work.

Ken

This could be a real problem for me as Im planning a full install of Sub, Components, Amp and processor, but looks like im gonna have to keep the headunit!...which I was reallyhoping to retro fit another, some better DIN slot replacements out now.

I'm trying to get a price for the new Sony Headunit; supplied as standard on the titanium, but need the reg plate of a car with it fitted from the factory for ford parts to find it on comp, anyone got it fitted?

Well...I can kinda help there....

I managed to find a second hand unit....

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0390.jpg

WARNING>>>>>......it isnt a easy fit.......wiring loom is differant and that is basically why you cannot get it retro fit...

Ive spent ALOT of time getting it all working and due to the screen being the security aspect of the system ive ended up keeping the orignal for now untill I get get to a solution....although is actually looks pretty good as it matches the needles...

Ken

This could be a real problem for me as Im planning a full install of Sub, Components, Amp and processor, but looks like im gonna have to keep the headunit!...which I was reallyhoping to retro fit another, some better DIN slot replacements out now.

If your planning to replace the headunit with say the Pioneer dash conversion and a new headunit then its not really a problem as you should be able to get the steering wheel controls to work but the OEM bluetooth and USB will not work. You can add as many amps / processors and Speakers to the orginal headunit if you use something like a "cleansweep" to sort out the headunit EQ levels....

Im going to be fitting lots of sound deadening with some Hertz components and amp in the near future.....but thats as far as im going.....

Ken

I'm actually of getting a basic clean sweep/ processor then amp, and yea sound deadening, but i wanted the tweeter components fitted in to new moulded pillars. As where they are now in the door handles is awful for sound!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i am from Argentina, and The New Ford fiesta just arrived to the country. I bought a dvd, gps audio system to my fiesta. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the audio cables. there are two blocks of wires in the back of the unit, i found surfing the web the details of the big block of wires, but i didnt find anything about the small block. Can you help me? thanks

Raúl

• 6 months later...

I am just putting this thread up incase anyone is interested in knowing how to take the head unit out for example fitting a rear sub box which is why I have worked out how to do this.

First of all carefully place flat blade screwdriver under display surround and carefully lever up the clips the secure it down.

Image0024.jpg

This is a picture of the underside so you can aproximate where the clips are

Image0026.jpg

This is view with display surround removed

Image0025.jpg

Then remove the panel below the main unit and above the temperature controls. This is done by carefully placing flat blade screwdriver along the top edge, the cattch that holds it in is located at the middle of the top edge. Lever this very carefully so not the break the catch.

Now to remove the main unit it you have to first undo the four screws at the top of the unit. Two of them are 7mm screws and two of them are torx size T25.

Once the bottom panel is out you can then pull the main unit surround out. The catches that hold this in are along the bottom edge. You can pull these straight back, no need for any tools at this stage, the catches are quite stiff but it is only them (after the top screws have been removed) that are holding the unit in. Once you have the main surround out you can easily disconnect the multi-block connector.

View of main unit removed

Image0022.jpg

Next to remove the actual head unit. Without any tools simply pull the head unit out.

As you can see from the image below there is no pre amp out sockets or USB inputs on te rear of the head unit. If you want to fit a sub box you will need to fit an RCA converter something like this LINK

View with head unit out.

Image0023.jpg

To refit reverse the above making sure to carefully line up catches so not to break them.

View with it all back together.

Image0027.jpg

I will be fitting a sub box once I have purchased a RCA converter and I will then put a thread up describing how to do this.

Good guide- thanks for posting.

Does anyone know if you can replace the standard head unit with one which has a sat nav integrated?

• 2 months later...

RCA converter link does note work. can you provide me with a new link please???

regards

steven

• 2 months later...

Hi

Great guide thanks alot

Ialso have the marron interior and was just wondering, if i was to purchase this unit.

http://www.car-vision.co.uk/ford-navi-dvd/8147-ford-fiesta-new-high-definition-lcd-built-in-gps-and-bluetooth-dvb-t-ipod-rds.html

Could i use the plstic case i already have. Or do i have to use the new one. I dont really want to have a gap in the red.

If you dont know then no worries.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All

Yesterday i took the stereo out as i am toying with fitting a replacement and needed to see which version i had.

All was going well until it came to take the actual buttons section off, when i pulled this off i had a little black metal clip fly off as well and i cant work out where it came from. I know it must be near the bottom because when it all goes back without it, the bottom (near hazard switch) is still loose.

Does any one know where this goes? or even have any photos of the back of the button unit i can have a look at?

Thanks in advance

Ken

• 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...