Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Head Unit on New Mk7

TitaniumSteve

I am just putting this thread up incase anyone is interested in knowing how to take the head unit out for example fitting a rear sub box which is why I have worked out how to do this.

First of all carefully place flat blade screwdriver under display surround and carefully lever up the clips the secure it down.

Image0024.jpg

This is a picture of the underside so you can aproximate where the clips are

Image0026.jpg

This is view with display surround removed

Image0025.jpg

Then remove the panel below the main unit and above the temperature controls. This is done by carefully placing flat blade screwdriver along the top edge, the cattch that holds it in is located at the middle of the top edge. Lever this very carefully so not the break the catch.

Now to remove the main unit it you have to first undo the four screws at the top of the unit. Two of them are 7mm screws and two of them are torx size T25.

Once the bottom panel is out you can then pull the main unit surround out. The catches that hold this in are along the bottom edge. You can pull these straight back, no need for any tools at this stage, the catches are quite stiff but it is only them (after the top screws have been removed) that are holding the unit in. Once you have the main surround out you can easily disconnect the multi-block connector.

View of main unit removed

Image0022.jpg

Next to remove the actual head unit. Without any tools simply pull the head unit out.

As you can see from the image below there is no pre amp out sockets or USB inputs on te rear of the head unit. If you want to fit a sub box you will need to fit an RCA converter something like this LINK

View with head unit out.

Image0023.jpg

To refit reverse the above making sure to carefully line up catches so not to break them.

View with it all back together.

Image0027.jpg

I will be fitting a sub box once I have purchased a RCA converter and I will then put a thread up describing how to do this.

Thanks for sharing that, not something I would do nowadays but I used to be very into the whole ICE thing, the fiesta IMHO doesn't lend it's self to ICE without major works be interesting if a din or double din adaptor comes out.

Look forward to more of your guides.

Eep! i could NEVER do that to my baby fiesta! Nice guide tho :)

Thanks man. I was wondering how to go about that. It's something I may be interested in if I choose to install a sub, but with the Speakers provided in modern cars I don;t think ill bother. Thanks anyway though. :D

Super guide.

I have already bought the sub and amplifier, but it´s currently living in the living room because I didn´t know how do get a linesignal from the head unit.

Thanks for your help, just need a stif drink before I´ll start ruining my baby Fiesta. :o)

Iv'e always concidered installing a Sub, but there are two issues for me now:

1) The Speakers in the Titanium (6 Speakers aposed to 4) are suposed to be pretty wicked anyway...

2) The weight of a sub must surely depleate performance a little?

very good pics, am thankful some one has had the guts to tear down their dash to go for an exploration.

...but there is a much much simpler alternative for fitting a sub, you don't need the headunit out to do it (sigh of relief peeps?)

You can piggy back from the rear Speakers and use a decent amp which will have the option for 'speaker level inputs' but yeah the secondary alternative to an amp with that functionality built in would be to use the rca conversion link Steve wrote about

The last car I had amp'd up professionally, the guy was insistent I needed the rca to speaker level cables but my trusty old kenwood amp had no need for them. Silly thing was most of the amps in the shop had the speaker level input terminals built in.

So that just leaves the 'remote' lead which usually is connected from the H/U so the amp only powers up when radio is on, so you could if you wanted wire that to a seperate switch or to come on with ignition

1) The speakers in the Titanium (6 speakers aposed to 4) are suposed to be pretty wicked anyway...

They are indeed

Well if you are in need of uber bass, you could diet (or remove the spare wheel for short distance trips)

They are indeed

Well if you are in need of uber bass, you could diet (or remove the spare wheel for short distance trips)

And not forgetting, it's a 1.6 Fiesta, hardly a hot hatch anyway.

Yea I know lol. I always crank up the bass with the normal Speakers, I'm sure that will be fine.

Out of interest, where are the two extra Speakers located? Are they bass sepaers or what?

I expect them to be two extra ones in the rear of the cabin towards the bottom of the seats?

Also, which model's come with 6 as oposed to 4 Speakers?

OMG I am shocked by those pictures!!

by the way my car clock still set on winter time oops

How could you abuse your baby like that? If you don't want your car, i'll have it :lol:

1) The speakers in the Titanium (6 speakers aposed to 4) are suposed to be pretty wicked anyway...

Firstly I don't know who told you they are 'wicked' thay are OK but not 'wicked', so I believe a sub would vastly improve the sound.

Secondly the weight thing is hardly an issue, you are not doing timed 1/4 mile drags are you. Trust me the speed and or fuel consumption you would barely notice esp with a 1.6 engine.

very good pics, am thankful some one has had the guts to tear down their dash to go for an exploration.

...but there is a much much simpler alternative for fitting a sub, you don't need the headunit out to do it (sigh of relief peeps?)

You can piggy back from the rear speakers and use a decent amp which will have the option for 'speaker level inputs' but yeah the secondary alternative to an amp with that functionality built in would be to use the rca conversion link Steve wrote about

The last car I had amp'd up professionally, the guy was insistent I needed the rca to speaker level cables but my trusty old kenwood amp had no need for them. Silly thing was most of the amps in the shop had the speaker level input terminals built in.

So that just leaves the 'remote' lead which usually is connected from the H/U so the amp only powers up when radio is on, so you could if you wanted wire that to a seperate switch or to come on with ignition

Thank you for your kind comments. I was aware you could connect an amp with the way you are saying in fact you can connect an RCA convertor to the speaker wire going to the speaker in the back door. However I thought that it would be more complicated to strip down the rear panel to the get to the rear speaker than take out the front dash. Plus by taking out the dash I can tap into a wire plus tap into a remote power supply. Also the amp which I have already only has RCA inputs, as it is an active set up. However I do agree your way is possible just I think my way has more advantages.

Yea I know lol. I always crank up the bass with the normal speakers, I'm sure that will be fine.

Out of interest, where are the two extra speakers located? Are they bass sepaers or what?

I expect them to be two extra ones in the rear of the cabin towards the bottom of the seats?

Also, which model's come with 6 as oposed to 4 speakers?

No they are not bass Speakers, just plain full range Speakers, and yes they are in the rear panels next to the rear seats.

How could you abuse your baby like that? If you don't want your car, i'll have it :lol:

I was not abusing it at all, I was merely doing what a garage would do if they were asked to fit a sub to a Mk7. I would rather I did the work than some spotty teenager in a car audio shop. I do know what I am doing and have installed many sounds system in cars plus recently built a complete boot install for my other car a 1994 Celica.

So it is ok everyone no harm or damage was caused in the making of this thread.

I do know what I am doing and have installed many sounds system in cars plus recently built a complete boot install for my other car a 1994 Celica.

Celicas, yumm B) Steve, are you a member of any Celica clubs?? I was a member of CCUK, TOC, Jap North East, etc with a modded Gen 7 TSport. I'd changed her with some TRD, TTE, Blitz, Wings West, etc. Eventually I took it all off and sold the parts to the club. I'd actually like a late Gen 7 GT as a weekend car. Her she is:

Oh, by the way, congrats on being a new Fiesta pioneer. :) Steve, seeing you doing that to your car brought back memories of Perry190 in CCUK. Pezzer was da man in 'appropriate' car mods. RIP Perry :(

Anthracite4.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Steve, it looks like you know what you are up to and as you have blue teeth I assume you have usb also, when you get round to fitting your audio how about doing a check as to where your usb is connected to onthe head unit, a simple point to point with a multimeter should do it and it would help a few of us out here to see if a usb cable could be fitted to the multi plugs on the head unit....Ta

Sorry but I don't have USB, just bluetooth. There is no connection in the rear of the head unit that is all I can tell you I am afraid.

Great guide matey

Has anyone attempted taking the panels apart near the Aux port to see if a spare cable is hanging around for a usb port? Reason I ask is because I really want to do this to mine when I get it. (delivery thur)

Great guide matey

Has anyone attempted taking the panels apart near the Aux port to see if a spare cable is hanging around for a usb port? Reason I ask is because I really want to do this to mine when I get it. (delivery thur)

Hey. Im not certain but I doubt it - As the usb provides a different radio unit 0 and screen for that matter which can interprit the data from a device such as an Ipod, so I doubt there will be a USB connection available - alhtough I could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Celicas, yumm B) Steve, are you a member of any Celica clubs?? I was a member of CCUK, TOC, Jap North East, etc with a modded Gen 7 TSport. I'd changed her with some TRD, TTE, Blitz, Wings West, etc. Eventually I took it all off and sold the parts to the club. I'd actually like a late Gen 7 GT as a weekend car. Her she is:

Oh, by the way, congrats on being a new Fiesta pioneer. :) Steve, seeing you doing that to your car brought back memories of Perry190 in CCUK. Pezzer was da man in 'appropriate' car mods. RIP Perry :(

Anthracite4.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I live right round the corner from you! haha

Oll

P.S great guide matey, really want the back two Speakers and a sub in my car, does anyone know the FINIS number for the rear Speakers from ford?

Thanks Again.

would be really smart if there was a way to replace the main screen there on the fiesta with an ipod touch screen, would look really smart

• 1 year later...

Removed my head unit today!!

Thanks for the guide

Was a HUGE help!

nice 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide, I picked up my mk7 today and it has bluetooth and voice control but no usb...

ive got a dension unit from my old focus so ill see what I can jimmy together

The USB is actually connected to the voice/bluetooth unit behind the glovebox and not the headunit...

Ken

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club