Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 110 Trubo Blown

pauloldfield13

Hi all, new to this site and not very mechanical so please bear with me!!!!

i have 57 plate 1.6 110 focus, on thursday just driving along doing 30 when i heard a horrible grinding noise no warning lights come on, no black smoke, just a loss of power, took it to my mate he took the turbo off and sure enough it was f***d. bush had split and something else inside had split in three he said also a lot of hard thick oil inside of banjo nut and pipes. so i got on the net and done a bit of research as he told me it would cost £1000 plus to fix!!!!, anyway so i have come across a lot of problems with this engine. i rang around some local garages today and most of the feed back was your engine is done for you will need a new one, but i have also seen people saying to flush the engine out change all filters new turbo and new oil. my question is, is my engine really no good anymore just because the turbo has gone its only done 70,000, will flushing the engine and putting new filters on and new oil not fix the problem?? i am due to be driving the car to london a week saturday and i hope i can do this and the car will be good. any advise will be very much appreciated thank you

Im no diesel expert but i cant see why the engine would be kaput to be honest

Sounds like your pipes blocked up and starved turbo of oil, normally caused by poor servicing and wrong spec/ cheap oil. :o unless he has seen something you are not mentioning, cant see why turbo cant be replaced even with a good used one, turbo oil feed pipe will need replacing, thats the one you say is full of hard thick oil. on top of this all breathers would need to be checked and cleaned, engine flushed with flushing oil then oil and filter dropped and replaced with new oil and filter. failing to replace the turbo oil feed pipe will just make new turbo to fail straight away. then I would give the engine some frequent oil flushes and changes to make sure all is clean and well inside of engine.

the garages who told me i need a new engine have not even seen it i just told them my turbo was gone, they said it will just keep happening, my plan was to replace pipes get it flushed get everything cleaned new filters etc etc, i even rang fords and the service tech told me the new turbo might only last few hundred miles he said he has seen this before, but i think maybe the people who have had this happen to them did not take the advice of getting everything cleaned and buy new pipes and so on, i am just worried about doing all this work and driving to london and it goes half way down the motorway!!! thanks for all your replys and advice

Its true what they say, as the engine is semi blocked with old hard oil/carbon. everything has to be cleaned and thats why i said replace the oil feed pipe for the turbo as its a hard pipe and you have no way of knowing if its totally clear or not. if it was mine i would have rocker cover off all pipes and breathers and everything soaked in petrol and cleaned, but as I said all this happens for a reason and that reason is poor servicing if you oil is solidifying in the feed pipes.

Hi all, new to this site and not very mechanical so please bear with me!!!!

i have 57 plate 1.6 110 focus, on thursday just driving along doing 30 when i heard a horrible grinding noise no warning lights come on, no black smoke, just a loss of power, took it to my mate he took the turbo off and sure enough it was f***d. bush had split and something else inside had split in three he said also a lot of hard thick oil inside of banjo nut and pipes. so i got on the net and done a bit of research as he told me it would cost £1000 plus to fix!!!!, anyway so i have come across a lot of problems with this engine. i rang around some local garages today and most of the feed back was your engine is done for you will need a new one, but i have also seen people saying to flush the engine out change all filters new turbo and new oil. my question is, is my engine really no good anymore just because the turbo has gone its only done 70,000, will flushing the engine and putting new filters on and new oil not fix the problem?? i am due to be driving the car to london a week saturday and i hope i can do this and the car will be good. any advise will be very much appreciated thank you

Have a read of this. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

I think the suspicions of the engine are more likely due to the steel fragments that would be thrown out of the turbo on its disintegration, if they make their way into the engine you will be stuffed. Dont rush to start the car anytime soon, get the turbo replaced, flush the engine block, remove and flush the appropriate pipes, have a full oil change done, if you havent already got piston / cylinder damage then you will be fortunate to keep it from happening...

Think I will stay away from Diesels.

You've not got much choice in the future, if you mean avoiding turbos. They are on all the new ecoboosts too

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club