Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Ka Accident.

HollyDollyx

As I'm new to this forum I thought I'd just tell you all a bit about my last car, I only passed my test in August 2012 so I'm a fairly new driver, I've not had any bumps or scraps in the year I've been driving until last week when unfortunately I crashed into the back of another car (Peugeot though so it's okay). I was coming up to an island with a car infront of me, i checked it was clear and pulled off, however the car infront me did not. No one was badly hurt I just hurt my leg a little bit, unfortunately though because my car was quite old anyway it was a write off - the radiator had blown, the earths had come detached and my alternator had gone, not too mention the disgusting mess I made of the front and side bumper.

Has anyone else had similar experiences and if so what did you do, go through insurance, fix the car or buy a new one.

post-45678-0-64817200-1375727339_thumb.j

post-45678-0-62436300-1375727364_thumb.j

post-45678-0-09996800-1375727375_thumb.j

Our lass done exactly the same a couple of months ago, both cars involved were 2008 cars and she made quite a mess of the car she hit so both went through on her insurance, and the best bit is the person she hit is her work partner lol.

• Like 1

I think you've done a good job on the old KA middle picture

It look more aggressive :)

Your best option would be to sell it as it is,

Because you would require a front sub frame, bumper side wing, radiator, fan, altinator, possibly radiator hoses, bonnet, and headlights,possibly tracking aswell,

All those parts from a breakers would add up to under £1,000 but then labour would be around £700 so it may be the same profit to sell it as it is.

If the other car wasn't badly damaged id try do it away from your insurance ...it could put ur insurance premium up and would probably be cheaper to scrap your car and get another..good luck in your quest

When in August did you pass? Hate to say this but I believe you have to take a re-test if you have an accident in your first year :/

No way dave ...ye serious??? Good rule but not for holly sorry

• Like 1

Never heard of that one like, I know if you get 6 points within first two years they revoke your license and you have to do the lot again including the theory and test, it happened to my apprentice, for speeding got fine and 6 points at court, left and thought that was it, 3 days later a letter arrived informing him the following day his license was revoked.

• Like 1

No way dave ...ye serious??? Good rule but not for holly sorry

I might be wrong, but I did hear something along those lines not long after I'd passed my first year of driving.

Never heard of that one like, I know if you get 6 points within first two years they revoke your license and you have to do the lot again including the theory and test, it happened to my apprentice, for speeding got fine and 6 points at court, left and thought that was it, 3 days later a letter arrived informing him the following day his license was revoked.

This is all i'd heard of too - just the points (unless the accident constitutes to points?!)

I saw a peugeot with a "Reem" bumper sticker on the back aages ago - hopefully thats what you took out!

Luckily it wasnt in your new upgrade, but insurance wise - have a play on insurance renewals online to see what the difference may be after this claim?

• Like 1

This is all i'd heard of too - just the points (unless the accident constitutes to points?!)

I saw a peugeot with a "Reem" bumper sticker on the back aages ago - hopefully thats what you took out!

Luckily it wasnt in your new upgrade, but insurance wise - have a play on insurance renewals online to see what the difference may be after this claim?

Under a false name if you can, some companies can access these online quotes >.<

You can get points on your license if you cause an accident??? That's mad nothing like that over here in eire ...just points for speeding or breaking rules of road ...think its 12points then you get taken off the road for two years or longer depending

• Like 1

You can for due care and attention, speeding, etc; 12 points = disqualification.

I know for a fact in your first 2 years 6 points = retest, unsure on the accident stuff.

This accident reminds me of the one My GF had with my old MK6 fiesta. So i was repairing her MK6 cause her injectors were leaking... I was then letting her drive my car. (As she is a girl she should drive better than me... , and i trust her lol (have to XD)

She goes to dance class and calls 10 minutes after she left the house... I knew something was wrong. Anyway she comes back home with the front of the car in peices, all lights smashed, bonnet folded up like a "V", radiator bent, front bumper was in the trunk and well i went through all the parts that fell off and the only thing missing was my darn DMB overlay on the front grill lol. still dont understand how it got off without the original logo.

I don't know how this works for you guys in the UK but here in france its my insurance that went up and not my GF's. Youpii i'm only 23 and for my new fiesta I only had two insurers that would insure me. o.O I couldnt beleive it.

• Like 1

You can get points on your liscence if you cause an accident through not paying the proper attention etc you're better to say you went to brake and accidentally hit the accelorator or something if the same happens in future or something similar. I had a similar accident in my works van I was in traffic amd just crawling along and was faffing with something and hadn't realised the car in front had slammed his brakes on n boomf lol luckily I was only going about 10mph and id hit the tow bar of a pick up truck so there was no damage to their vehicle just my own and just by chance there was a police car not far behind the accident who stopped. They said they couldnt deal with it because they were tranporting a prisoner so phoned another unit and waited until they came. While we were waiting for the other unit the guy asked me what had happened and I told him the truth and he told me to say to the other unit who would be taking an official statement that id went to brake and hit the wrong pedal or I could be charged for driving without due car and attention and get 6 points on my liscence for it! Best copper ive ever met apart from or own resident stoney obviously :lol: but learn from your mistake and forget about whats on the round about and focus on whats in front of you untill your at the front of the Que to get on the round about lol just cause you've seen its clear doesnt mean the car in front sees the same thing. I learned my lesson not to let stupid things distract me when im driving. It was obviously all sorted through the insurance with it being my works van

• Like 1

And if you find it hard to pay attention whilst driving have your missus sat beside you ....haven't enough fingers and toes to count leos near misses thank feck I was with him this includes pulling out of empty car park with lamp post at drivers wheel and he nealy hits it...I've had one bad hit in traffic slowly crusing and polish &#33;Removed&#33; with no insurance rammed my back door pulling out of petrol station...he would have got passenger door with leo in it but I put my foot on the gas ...was only !Removed! wee clio but my first car and I was 5months pregnant if I could have stopped crying id have decked him

Holly , welcome to the Forums , if a claim on your insurance is already happening due to the other car , then you may as well go through them to claim for your car if your full comp.

Your car could be repaired , but insurance company will scrap it.

as Lenny has stated a quick list of parts you may require , you could buy an MOT failure Ka and take the parts off that.

Welcome to the forum, and as for the comments of retest, I dont believe that you do require a retest (or at least not under the rules I know of) if you suffer 6 points in your first two years, you lose your license, must reapply and take another set of tests, however, for the accident front, I believe there is no repercussions on your license at all.

As Preee said, if your already in the process of a claim, get a quote for repair via insurance, check out if they would scrap or fix it. If you reair it, you need an MOT test and VIC check to get your car on the road. Otherwise, if you find it cheaper to get the parts and fit yourself, better still! :)

Welcome to the forum, and as for the comments of retest, I dont believe that you do require a retest (or at least not under the rules I know of) if you suffer 6 points in your first two years, you lose your license, must reapply and take another set of tests, however, for the accident front, I believe there is no repercussions on your license at all.

As Preee said, if your already in the process of a claim, get a quote for repair via insurance, check out if they would scrap or fix it. If you reair it, you need an MOT test and VIC check to get your car on the road. Otherwise, if you find it cheaper to get the parts and fit yourself, better still! :)

Hope not, re-tests aren't fun when it's a small mistake >.<

Avoid insurance if possible, in the case of the other driver not claiming, even if they did i would still avoid claiming. it all adds up to raising your insurance to an insane amount as a new driver plus females no longer get cheaper car insurance as that was deemed sexist towards men (I welcome this idea tbh)

This will be added to your dvla and insurance groups record and be used for the next 4 years, this alone increase your quote a lot. Claiming will also be added to your record if you claim... second reason for insurance increase, all on top of being a new driver, not only are you already classed as a higher risk driver being new, (After 6 months of passing insurance company class new drivers at higher risk than normal as they are most likely to an have accident after 6 months based on being more road confident) the accident record will class you as an even higher risk driver.

Visit moneysupermarket.com or gocompare.com do a mock insurance quote for your self excluding recent invents, note the price, then do a quote adding the information of being involve in an inccident within the last 4 years and note the price, then do the same with the above including 1 claim... you may S**** bricks

Do a rough estimate of your car repairs and compare it to the additional cost of increased insurance to better judge your odds.

On the subject of what to do with the car, lenny idea is spot on

Visit moneysupermarket.com or gocompare.com do a mock insurance quote for your self excluding recent invents, note the price, then do a quote adding the information of being involve in an inccident within the last 4 years and note the price, then do the same with the above including 1 claim... you may S**** bricks

Do a rough estimate of your car repairs and compare it to the additional cost of increased insurance to better judge your odds.

DO NOT do this. I used gocompare etc to search just to see how much it exrta it would cost me to add a body kit/alloy wheels and window tints just so I knew what to expect when I had them actually done and also when I had my accident in my works van and a month after id renewed my insurance I got a letter through saying there was discrepancies with my insurance detail between what id eventually put down amd what id beem quoted for on the comparison websites amd that theyd taken £267. This is also because I put in to see how much extra mine would cost with my accident in my works van which when I phoned for my renewal I did inform them about and was told it didnt affect my premium because it was a works vehicle. But because id searched on these comparison websites for it it threw up a discrepancy.

Im lucky all they decided to do was charge me extra (which after a very angry phonecall I got paid back in full) instead of them just deciding to cancel my insurance altogether and then getting pulled up by the police for driving without insurance without having any idea about it

DO NOT do this. I used gocompare etc to search just to see how much it exrta it would cost me to add a body kit/alloy wheels and window tints just so I knew what to expect when I had them actually done and also when I had my accident in my works van and a month after id renewed my insurance I got a letter through saying there was discrepancies with my insurance detail between what id eventually put down amd what id beem quoted for on the comparison websites amd that theyd taken £267. This is also because I put in to see how much extra mine would cost with my accident in my works van which when I phoned for my renewal I did inform them about and was told it didnt affect my premium because it was a works vehicle. But because id searched on these comparison websites for it it threw up a discrepancy.

This is a result of you speaking with your insurance company about the mods, not a comparison website fault, no information is shared with insurance companies can be used to identify you unless you choose to proceed with the quote by either contacting them or requesting to a call back.

If it makes you feel better use a fake name and a different door number on your street, no drivers licence details are required to compare therefore it's impossible to even identify you, i often use fake names and my "spam" e-mail address when using such sites to avoid annoying unwanted phone calls and e-mails about deals and offers...

This is a result of you speaking with your insurance company about the mods, not a comparison website fault, no information is shared with insurance companies can be used to identify you unless you choose to proceed with the quote by either contacting them or requesting to a call back.

If it makes you feel better use a fake name and a different door number on your street, no drivers licence details are required to compare therefore it's impossible to even identify you, i often use fake names and my "spam" e-mail address when using such sites to avoid annoying unwanted phone calls and e-mails about deals and offers...

No I never once mentioned my modifications to my insurance company I mentioned the accident in my work van but as I said they said that was irrelevant unless I was trying to get van insurance but I had two charges one for not declaring that Id had an accident (which I did on the phone) and two for not declaring my modifications which I had only searched for on gocompare to see how much extra it would cost me when I did declare them

I actually stuck with the same insurance company after getting a quote on gocompare. I was actually told by the insurance company that it was because their (admiral) quote for me on goconpare had included my modifications they had assumed I had added them and not told them about said modifications when id phoned to renew with them.

Thanks guys!

Unfortunatly the other car has claimed it on insurance - but i was expecting it to be honest. Luckily I don't have to pay anything else because I have decided not to claim on my insurance, but of course my premium will be higher than last year.

I haven't heard anything about a retest and i didnt get any points.

As for the car - Well its still sat on my drive looking very sorry for itself! I'm stuck between scraping it and selling it for parts, does anyone know roughly what i'd get for each?

Thanks for all your help! :D

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club