Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1L Ecoboost Possible Problem :s

gazsts

Hi all!

Had a new fiesta ecoboost for a couple of weeks now and im little concerned with a noise myself and my other half keep hearing from the engine. Basically whenever the RPM goes above 1500rpm the car makes this strange electrical humming/metaly/clicking noise. Hard to explain but as i say only when car goes above 1500. It will also make this noise when parked up and revving the engine gently.

To top it off if driving along and allow the car to slow under engine braking it goes away but if you tap the pedal it will return for a couple of secs then dissapear again.

I have never heard this noise from any car before.

Took it to ford and the guy just said its noisy injectors and is just a new engine design but im not convinced hence why i ask here.

If anyone were able to shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I have put a couple of vids of youtube to demo the noise for you all if you can help.

http://youtu.be/AXySjClIq20 (very clear metally noise type thing)

http://youtu.be/Phwtf2tKZDM (may need to up the volume as iPhone mic rubbish lol)

Thanks in advance!

might have to listen to mine then and compare. what motor is it? 125 or 100 ?

I have the 125 bud. ZS in red. Absolutely love it apart from this sound which can be heard even when having loud road noise in the background :(

Turbo possibly? I have to say that is one loud 1ltr engine. Is she running fine? I know in the manual they say you might hear engine variations for awhile till it settles down. I know when i had 25 miles on the clock around 3-5000k i noticed different noises that concerned me.

Is it me or does your needle wobble at 1.5k speed. I've noticed mine doing this but quite more consistently .

the motor sound is fine untill he revs. I will check it out when i can cause i need my Girl friend needs to rev it or can you hear it from the inside?

Yep, the car seems absolutely fine overall, it still pulls well etc. It can be heard inside the car quite clearly with the windows up etc and the only way to remove the distraction is put some music on lol I must also add that this noise has been getting louder as time has gone on. It was noticed originally when we had about 700 miles on the car. At first I was thinking 'oh maybe it's just the engine running in'. However it's been getting more noticeable over time. We are now at 1200 miles and it seems to be still getting louder. Took it to Ford and I as say all they think it was is loud injectors but I've never heard injectors like that before :s

Thanks for your input on this guys really do appreciate the help in getting to the bottom of this :D

whats the injectors have to do with that metal sound lol oh dear Ford??

Exactly my thinking bud! :)

I did have the feeling I was maybe being fobbed off as I can understand 'clicking' from the injector, but metal? :s hmmmm

I've heard a few modern cars with direct injection that suffer from quite loud, tappety injectors. BMW's new 'twinpower' 4-cylinder petrol 'N20' engine sufferes from this. Sounds almost diesel-like at times but is completely normal. I couldn't watch your videos at work but it wouldn't surprise me if the ecoboost engines sounded similar.

I can confirm my Fiesta doesn't have that sound (also a 1,0 125). That being said I'd say it sounds like injectors, despite the slightly metallic sound.

EDIT: Forgot to mention it could also have something to do with the turbo, as that comes on at 1.500 rpm and upwards.

Turbo you say. Good point on the 1500 mark. Didn't think of that possibility. Thanks for confirming that yours does not sound like this though. If anyone else can confirm theirs does not sound like this it would be of great help. In fact if it wouldn't be too much to ask could someone possibly post a vid of their sound holding at just around 1500 - 1800 rpm. That way I could maybe use it as ammo against ford to highlight a possible problem. Many thanks so far guys. Going to see if I can maybe narrow down where the sound is coming from to maybe give a better idea. Will def keep you all posted :D

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about recording the video yesterday.

Either way I've recording mine from inside the car using a cellphone, so you'll probably need to increase volume quite a bit. Around midway through the video I roll the window down, in case you wonder what that sound is :)

Also I'm wondering if you notice the sound when the engine is cold, warm or both ?

My video is recording with a warm engine (did around ~12 km (roughly 7,5 miles) before recording it)

The video can be found here:

Have you filled up with supermarket fuel? If so try Esso or Shell before going back to Ford,

Thrash it till it blows up then tell ford "i told you so",

That sounds bad like a fan blade hitting something every time it rotates, definitly needs seeing too.

Injectors. get to the dealer again and get the concern noted - they may have the correct technical answer or a Tech service Bulletin on the topic. The most senior Ford guy in the UK & Europe is Steve Odell his email is: sodell1@ford.com - let him know if you don't get a fix

1.0L Ecoboost here too, and that is definitely not the right sound it should be making. Mine is admittedly noisier than expected with the bonnet up, but it's quiet enough that idiots who like to walk in the middle of the roads around where I live never here the car behind them to the point I have to rev the engine or even beep the horn to get noticed. There is no loud clicking noise like yours is making, the car sounds like it does before 1500rpm just slightly louder and with the appropriate scale increase. the only other noise from mine is a slight squirrely sound when easing off the throttle which I assume is the turbo winding down. I'd take it back to Ford and insist they do something about it. Also, I use supermarket fuels and esso fuel, makes no difference to performance or noise in mine.

Hi all.

Many thanks for all your suggestions so far. Think I could be getting closer to the exact cause of this, to be honest i think i have found the culprit. Using a large full metal screwdriver as an engine stethoscope (neat little home trick :) ) I have found where the sound is coming from. The injectors themselves sound fine when listened to up close but if i listen to what looks like the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) i get the exact noise in my ear which is causing the issue. Heres a pic of the bit I mean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vv5mlhbfyf1pgh/Photo%2009-08-2013%2017%2052%2039.jpg

Is this the FPR or is it something different? Its all part of the fuel line by the looks of it and its whats making the horrible noise.

Thanks everyone! feeling very close to finally cracking this! :lol:

Mine makes this noise a little bit and you only really hear it when its turning off.

It dont sound quite as loud as this though.

• 3 months later...

Hi

I have the same problem.

It is for sure the Bosch high pressure fuel pump. Mine started at about 3000 miles, and it has gradually become worse until now 7000 miles, and is now truly annoying. Sadly the damn thing won't break down properly ...

Ford says everything is fine, but it's not. What was a nice silent car when I bought it, now has a high pitch noise as the most dominant noise from the engine when driving at constant speed.

Does anyone know if Ford ever has acknowledged the problem ?

Bit off topic but I'm wondering... as turbo has been mentioned... if all owners are aware of the need to "warm down" a turbo engine after a good thrash before switching off the engine?

The problems that can occur if you dont warm them down can be rapid wear of bearing surfaces due to heat soak and the high rotation speed of the turbo-charger shaft. Leaving the engine idling for a minute or two should be enough to let the turbo shaft slow down from hundreds of thousands of RPM to something a bit less challenging while still having oil pumped to the bearings.

I'll get back in my box now...

There's also the new tech to think about, like the variable output oil pump, assuming the lube level is good...?

And also the VVT system, if you use a stethoscope, can you locate the noise to the cambelt end of the motor?

• 2 weeks later...

Bit off topic but I'm wondering... as turbo has been mentioned... if all owners are aware of the need to "warm down" a turbo engine after a good thrash before switching off the engine?

The problems that can occur if you dont warm them down can be rapid wear of bearing surfaces due to heat soak and the high rotation speed of the turbo-charger shaft. Leaving the engine idling for a minute or two should be enough to let the turbo shaft slow down from hundreds of thousands of RPM to something a bit less challenging while still having oil pumped to the bearings.

I'll get back in my box now...

Hi, Ford have realised this, the ecoboosts have water cooled turbo bearings with an electric pump that will run on for a while after the engine has been stopped, because of the start/stop. This means that the turbo bearings will continue to be cooled after switching the engine off...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2013 at 9:23 PM, gazsts said:

Hi all!

Had a new fiesta ecoboost for a couple of weeks now and im little concerned with a noise myself and my other half keep hearing from the engine. Basically whenever the RPM goes above 1500rpm the car makes this strange electrical humming/metaly/clicking noise. Hard to explain but as i say only when car goes above 1500. It will also make this noise when parked up and revving the engine gently.

To top it off if driving along and allow the car to slow under engine braking it goes away but if you tap the pedal it will return for a couple of secs then dissapear again.

I have never heard this noise from any car before.

Took it to ford and the guy just said its noisy injectors and is just a new engine design but im not convinced hence why i ask here.

If anyone were able to shed some light on this situation it would be greatly appreciated.

I have put a couple of vids of youtube to demo the noise for you all if you can help.

http://youtu.be/AXySjClIq20 (very clear metally noise type thing)

http://youtu.be/Phwtf2tKZDM (may need to up the volume as iphone mic rubbish lol)

Thanks in advance!

I know this topic is old but did you (or anybody else) ever find out what was wrong with your engine? My Ford Fiesta 1L 125 hp sounds exactly like yours and it really bothers me.

• Like 1

I have listened to the videos and the engine sounds normal to me mine sounds just the same when started from warm or cold, I have found it a bit more noisy / tappy from cold as I believe more ignition advance is used thus increasing the metallic sound ( I think that the metallic sound is combustion) . Direct injection does make a distinct sound in that its a bit more harsher sounding that your standard indirect injection.