Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Mk6 2006, Juddering When Pulling Away And Burning Oil

mactell

Hi there,

Yesterday my Fiesta started having problems. The car wouldn't go into some gears, especially when I was down shifting. when pulling away the car was juddering also while stationary and in 1st gear with the clutch down the car was shaking alot more than it should.

I checked my cars oil last week and it was halfway between empty and full. I checked it again just now and its now 1 millimetre above the empty sign. I have now topped this up by the way.

Why is it doing this? Is it safe to drive?

Does the clutch improve if you pump the pedal? I found the biting point on mine was getting lower and lower; a few pumps sorted it out temporarily. The problem was the clutch master cylinder - a relatively cheap, if awkward repair.

However, yours does sound a little more serious than that. Is it leaking oil? To check, put cardboard under the engine area overnight, and see if any has appeared. Is it smoking a lot?

If you are not mechanically minded, I would seek professional advice on both of those issues. As regards to the "safe to drive" - I'd be reluctant to drive it far until I knew what was going on.

I forgot to add - clutch judder in first when pulling away is sometimes due to worn engine mountings; however, as you are experiencing problems with all gears it's probably not that.

Hi there,

Still doesn't help when pumping the clutch :(.

Possibly need new clutch? If thats the case change the flywheel aswell

I thought it would be a new clutch. However I've never had a clutch go so I don't know what it feels like.

I'd take it into the garage. Sounds similar to whats just happened to my 206 which was the head gasket going (Hence why I now have a fiesta haha).

if there is oil around the gearbox it could be that oil has leaked from the engine onto the clutch and contaminated it i had this on a mk3 golf which caused the clutch to slip and judder

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would update all of you. I have taken the car back to where I bought it from.

The onsite engineer said he has never driven one like it. The clutch and the fly wheel needs replacing. Luckily when buying the car I purchased a premium guarantee. Which means both of these are covered. How much do you think both of these parts + labour would be without the guarantee?

Just thought I would let you all know incase anyone else is having this problem.

The last clutch I had done was on our previous Rover 200 - cost around £270 with Mr. Clutch - that was without the flywheel.

Does anyone know if any of the modern diesel Fiestas have DMFs? if your one is a diesel with a Dual Mass Flywheel, that could be big bucks.

In that case I doubt it would have dual mass flywheel. As said the clutch disc may have oil contamination from either the rear main seal or a leaking clutch cylinder or a damaged clutch friction plate.

Ah right. I presume if it wasn't covered by the warranty the labour would be more than the part lol .

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club