Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Traffic Sign Recognition

IanJ37

Hi, I've recently taken delivery of a new Focus with Sony Sat Nav and the Driver Assist Pack (amongst others - I'm addicted to techo toys!). After discussions with Ford and with my dealer today it appears that because I have the Traffic Sign Recognition system I don't get the speed of the road I'm on displayed on the sat nav map, which is a bit disappointing as I think this is really useful.

The Ford logic appears to be that I should use the Traffic Sign Recognition system but I'm finding the output from that a bit bizarre and I wondered if anyone could advise me whether the functionality I'm getting is usual or perhaps mine might be faulty.

It has 'found' 90 mph speed limit signs in an urban area and told me there was a no overtaking sign on a 4 lane motorway but I accept that this is developing technology and these things will crop up! What has me vexed is the number of times it misses speed limit signs and when it has detected them the time they're displayed for. There seems to be no consistency in the display time sometimes they are on for several minutes and others gone in a couple of seconds - I thought I had it figured that once the car turned at a junction the display cleared but then next junction I went round it stayed on! Also sometimes it just seems to have shutdown and not be looking and then after missing several signs it suddenly comes to life and picks up the next one.

I'm at a loss as to whether this erratic behavior is normal or indicates a problem - all information gratefully received.

Many thanks

Ian

from what ive read its quite common ask ford if there is a fix for this perhaps theres a software update but i read a few reviews where the testers had teh same issue saying in theory it was a great idea in practice it was a flop and a waste of the extra cash to get it they may have found a fix for it by now i would speak to the dealership and ask

I too have had the 90 mph sign come up as i was turning a corner at about 5mph haha , i don't take much notice of it really , if they wanted it to be functional they should have added either a beep or vibration to steering like on the lane departure.

Thanks for the information. Ford Customer service Centre are going to ring me next week and if anything of interest comes out of that discussion I'll post it.

I too have had the 90 mph sign come up as i was turning a corner at about 5mph haha , i don't take much notice of it really , if they wanted it to be functional they should have added either a beep or vibration to steering like on the lane departure.

Oh but the lane departure does http://www.euroncap.com/rewards/ford_lanekeepingalert.aspx

Yes i know i have it on mine , Sign recognition should do the same , save taking your eyes of the road to read a pointless display :) , at least that way you would then look to see whats happening.Or they should link it to Speed limiter

• 3 weeks later...

If the speed sign is obscured by something like a tree branch you can get spurious displays. I have had 110 for a 40 sign and near my home I regularly get 80 for 30. The no overtaking sign is a mystery, not sure what triggers it, but have you noticed that it is a left hand drive no overtaking, not a UK sign - red car on wrong side

• 4 months later...

Mine is a C Max. I have had speed limit indicators of 110, 100, 90, 85, 65, 55 plus false 50s when driing close to a 5 ton weight limit sign, but am plagued by the european no overtaking sign - over 15 times when driving in the dark between Nottingham and the South West. The software is misinterpreting other vehicles' rear light clusters.

My dealer has been in touch with Ford Technical who profess not to have had any previous similar complaints before!

• 3 years later...

I have a Focus 2016 with Traffic Sign Recognition, it works well in the UK and in Europe, but when I come back to the UK it gets stuck in KPH, so totally useless. I'v had a software upgrade today, but my car is still in KPH after a trip to Belgium over the past weekend. Ford tech support are aware - but no sensible solution as yet!

Something I've noticed, the traffic sign system and satnav do kinda work in tandem. There are a number of roads around me that have had their limits reduced, and I find often that i'll get two speeds shown on the display. One of the sign it just read, and one of the original speed limit. I also find if there are no speed limit signs sometimes the speed will pop up without them.

• 4 months later...

My TRS is stuck in KPH again, and yes the Sat Nav works in tandem. After the ageing process the TRS uses data from the Sat Nav which gets more out of date as the car gets older. ***** rubbish

I guess that's the future of modern cars :( 

Everything is integrated and automatic. However there is no support from manufacturer and the older the car gets the more useless and frustrating the cool gadgets of today get. If something gets broken after ten years you are on your own. No support from manufacturer, no spare parts or they cost more than gold (get a loan to fix the touch screen of your entertainment system that controls most of your cars functions). And since everything is integrated you loose substantial amount of car functionality.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club