Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice/ideas Of Problem

Dazzzz7

Hi All,

I have a 59 plate mk7, when i first got it, it was a really smooth and comfortable ride, however now it feels like the steering has become very heavy, basically i need to put in more effort to turn the car, doesnt seem right.

Anyone every had anything like this or any ideas of what to check to solve this issue.

its totally putting me off my car now, dont enjoy driving it as much now because of that issue :(

Cheers,

Daz

Have you checked your power steering fluid level?

Have you checked the front tyre pressures?

If there is a problem with your power steering you can run your front tyre pressures a littie higher (harder) and it will make the steering feel lighter

The steering was designed to feel heavier at higher speeds (for more "feel") and lighter at town speeds (for easier parking etc)

• Like 1

Have you checked the front tyre pressures?

If there is a problem with your power steering you can run your front tyre pressures a littie higher (harder) and it will make the steering feel lighter)

I agree about checking the tyre pressures, but wouldn't you be sacrificing at least some grip & control by running higher pressures than recommended? Could it be better sorting the power steering out if that was the problem?

Might be worth checking the steering rack as well.

• Like 1

hi guys thanks for the response, i get this problem even when tyres have just been inflated, no excessive wear on tyres etc.tyres are inflated to around to 31psi in front when topped up, its actually starting to feel as heavy as my old mk4!

roads are getting worse and i dont know if i've maybe done some damage!, cant really see much of the steering colume to have a good look to be honest, its electric ps, so would i be right in saying i wouldnt top anything up etc?

Tyre pressures are only recomendations

After much experimentation i run 38/ 39PSI in the front and 41 in the back - the ride is a bit hard but the grip and feel is exellent at those pressures (better than at lower pressures on my car with the tyres i run)

Obviously it depends on the car, the amount of weight in the car, the make and type of tyres etc

But if you are running 31psi i see no harm in trying 33 or even 35psi the higher pressures will lighten the steering, and put less strain on the power cteering (rack/ pump) - if you are running low- profile tyres - the higher pressures can help protect the rims from potential damage from pot-holes ./ badly surfaced roads

Putting a little bit extra pressure in your tyres costs (next to) nothing but pumps / racks cost £££££s

It can help lower rolling resistance - helping MPG

The only disadvantage is the ride may be a bit harsher if you go too high and you could wear out the middle of the tyre faster than the shoulders (not something that happens with me - i like to keep my momentum up on the corners - strictly for efficiency :) )

So i would try a couple more psi on the front - see how you get on

• Like 1

Thanks mate, i will hit the pumps the morra n try say 35, hopefully makes a noticable difference, or do you think try 40 psi? Or would that be pushing it?

• Like 1

Thanks mate, i will hit the pumps the morra n try say 35, hopefully makes a noticable difference, or do you think try 40 psi? Or would that be pushing it?

Probably - see how it goes - as above if you go to high it can wear out the middle of the tyre tread quicker and the ride can get harsher

Is it making any strange noises?

If the car used to drive alright, pumping up your tyres above the recommended pressure isn't going to cure anything, & could even be dangerous. Find the real fault.

Sometimes hear a creaking when turning full lock, only when driving slowly mind you, checked most things to be honest, ie springs etc, everything seems fine hense why i posted to see if anyone has any out the box ideas! As i say, car used to be a nice drive, ok its nearly 4 years old but still ! No crashes or bumps etc just feel like i have to fight the steering wheel sometimes

Could also be the strut top mounts as they can Break or go stiff and your steering will go heavy and creak at low speeds but if you get to higher speeds you won't hear the creaking but still feel still so I'd say it could be the top strut mounts

Sometimes hear a creaking when turning full lock, only when driving slowly mind you, checked most things to be honest, ie springs etc, everything seems fine hense why i posted to see if anyone has any out the box ideas! As i say, car used to be a nice drive, ok its nearly 4 years old but still ! No crashes or bumps etc just feel like i have to fight the steering wheel sometimes

If you have heard a creacking, worth getting it checked, (visually, by a pro - can't really be done over the 'net ) the springs can break at the top or bottom and it can be hard to spot, or there may be other damage,(as J has suggested) probably caused by poor roads/ potholes - its a "stitch in time" thing because the extra resistance on the steering can cause a knock-on effect, ie putting the power steering under more stress

Running slightly higher front tyre pressures could put less stress on the power steering rack & pump, helping to protect them from damage

Putting a bit more air in your tyres is not dangerous unless the maximum PSI is exeeded - as an example my Goodyears are max. 44PSI and my Vredstiens 51PSI the recommended pressures, the recommended pressures are just that "recommended" (not "manditory")

I think we have covered the tyre pressure thing on this thread now :lol:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club