Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Metal License Plates

Lester1102

Hi all I was in Newquay the other week and saw a very nice car with punched license plates the numbers were in a high gloss black finish and were really raised so I though I would take a look at who made them all I could see was a company name called uniplates they have a website but nothing loads so I can't check out there stuff and I was wondering if anyone knows of any other good places to get these sort of plates I bought some for my last car off eBay but they weren't so good came with matt black numbers and were pretty flat so all suggestions would be welcome

A friend of mine recommends a site called DubMeister.. I think they come matt black but it might be worth emailing them and asking? Their plates comply with uk laws as well so keeps pc plod happy (:

http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/webshop/uk-legal-pressed-metal-plates/uk-legal-plates/

A friend of mine recommends a site called DubMeister.. I think they come matt black but it might be worth emailing them and asking? Their plates comply with uk laws as well so keeps pc plod happy (:

http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/webshop/uk-legal-pressed-metal-plates/uk-legal-plates/

I'm happy, does that count? :d

• Like 1

Hi all I was in Newquay the other week and saw a very nice car with punched license plates the numbers were in a high gloss black finish and were really raised so I though I would take a look at who made them all I could see was a company name called uniplates they have a website but nothing loads so I can't check out there stuff and I was wondering if anyone knows of any other good places to get these sort of plates I bought some for my last car off eBay but they weren't so good came with matt black numbers and were pretty flat so all suggestions would be welcome

I've fitted steel pressed plates purchased from WWW.eireplates.ie

I've then secured them with a set of richbrook ford anti-theft screws purchased from WWW.priracing.co.uk using 20% discount code: richbrook20

This combination of steel pressed plates with anti-theft screws makes your reg easily recognisable even if stolen and burned

• Like 2

I'm happy, does that count? :d

Are you a man of the law? Just as well I decided against the choice words I used to describe the jobs worth copper who just cost me an extra £500 on my car insurance renewal :p haha

• Like 1

I am indeed.

I'm more laidback but will carry out my job with no bias or favouritism.

I assume your plate wasn't street legal at some point?

• Like 1

Noo my cars are always legal :) I'm in the Army so to get a car permit to park on barracks the transport officer goes over everything about the car with a fine tooth comb.. Even checking all mods are declared on insurance!

Nah I got 3 points for not indicating on a roundabout :S the offence code given was "MS60 - Offence not covered by other codes".. Sucks but I don't have time to fight it as on only on 2 weeks R&R..

• Like 1

Usually in my region the MS60 is referred to as the attitude test offence.

They must have been having a boring shift.

• Like 1

Ive had ally pressed plates on a couple of my motors and not had any bother off police, but I know a few who have, as long as they have the correct details on, poscode and bs au number, are correctly spaced the white and yellow are of the correct reflective qualities and the font is correct you should be fine, one of the bigger pressed plate company,s say if you get any problem, they will fight for you in court, think sometimes its certain officers not knowing the Law in the first place then peoples backs go up and the result is a really lame fine. on the other hand tho if you mess with your plate spacing and font you deserve the fine you will get eventually.

• Like 1

I wish south Yorkshire police would have a clamp down on illegal plates, it's getting stupid round here, every time I go out I see at least 2 cars with dodgy looking spacings, making them almost impossible to read with the naked eye, heaven knows what the ANPR would make of them.

IKR! How do bikes get away with them tiny plates? And on a Sunday night all the boy racers meet up on the seafront here, most have plates with not only bad spacing, but wrong fonts, coloured letters etc some choose not even to display front plates and they drive past the camped up traffic coppers no worries..

• Like 1

I have just bought some 3d resin license plates and should get them by Thursday or Friday I will post picks when they arrive

• Like 2

IKR! How do bikes get away with them tiny plates? And on a Sunday night all the boy racers meet up on the seafront here, most have plates with not only bad spacing, but wrong fonts, coloured letters etc some choose not even to display front plates and they drive past the camped up traffic coppers no worries..

Safety in numbers perhaps,

They remove front plate over here too, and display it in the windscreen instead,

That or the purchase Irish plates but German style with the German stamps in the center usually the VAG drivers

In the UK it's actually illegal to not have the plates fitted correctly.

Resting on the dash is not allowed but does seem to be ignored.

How do lorry drivers get past having the actual vehicles plate on the front of a truck, and a plate with their name on it on the windscreen when it comes to ANPR?

Lester how much they set you back? You got a link?

ANPR scans everything upto 1 metre above the ground therefore plates on truck or car dashboards are disregarded.

That is also the reason why it's illegal to put car ones there instead of the correct position.

I find quite often that car dealers get pulled due to them throwing their traders plates on the dash rather than attaching them properly.

Technically their trader plates should cover the standard plates or their traders insurance doesn't cover the vehicle.

• Like 1

They cant read land rover defenders rear plate either.

In the UK it's actually illegal to not have the plates fitted correctly.

Resting on the dash is not allowed but does seem to be ignored.

I know of many that have drove like this for years, but I know a few who have had fines too. :huh:

according to the BS rules numberplates have to be made from a retroreflecting material and metal is not classed as so even if painted, so the bs mark cannot be put on the plates hence illegal, if they were legal we would sell them, metal plates only allowed on cars before 1.1.1973, also domed letters on a plate are also illegal because they are not an intrigal part of the plate,only stuck on and they could be removed and miss represented, carbon effect letters are ok if they are 51% black and built into the plate and of course charles write font.

• Like 1

Ive lifted this from another forum, this debate been going on years. has the law been changed since this to make these now illegal as they seem pretty sure the are 100% legal.

As promised here is details of correspondence ive had with Dubmeister regarding these plates.
Paul from dubmeister has been most helpful and I’m sure you will find the following interesting and pleasing smile.gif (I have highlighted some important points).

Our plates have been developed with a large plate manufacturer that supplies for example official Netherlands plates and serves other countries and manufactures to many differing standards world wide.. They don't have to be tested by BSI, just be designed to comply, and actually comply if tested, and this is what we have done.

The BSAU 145d regulation has been finely gone through by our manufacturer and relevant sections have be exceeded or met, including a section specifically designed to exclude metal plates, which necessitated a subtle exclusive redesign of the metal base plate and different material to 'regular' Euro show plates, as well as altered letter tooling and lastly permanent laser marking of supplier info and maker info and the standard they are made to.

They have been fully tested by our manufacturer and pre tested against the BS145d standard by the German DIN institute – (in case any major flaws we hadn’t picked up on), who have set up testing environments for BSAU145d now, are testing and will award a certificate to this effect on completion.

We are fully satisfied they comply or exceed BSAU145d and have been told by a British Standards institute they can be marked as such if we are sure they comply by cross referencing DIN regs that duplicate/exceed sections of BS145d and amendments we have made, and they offered additional help if we needed, which we don't.

No UK authority has the knowledge or means to test plates other than British Standard Institute. No Police or local authority can challenge a user as they are marked correctly as to comply, and that’s the end of it as far as prosecution of the user.
If they want to test them they would have to send off to BSI and pay the £6000 to £15,000 fee...and result would be they pass anyway.

Our dealers/suppliers take proper relevant driver/vehicle ID which is a major part of plates being legal, correct lettering and physical plate spec alone is not sufficient as prevention of vehicle cloning is probably the main issue in 'illegal' plates and prosecutions.

So, we welcome any test to disprove our claim, which is that they do 100% fully comply when supplied by a DVLA registered licence plate supplier.

Paul also commented:

It was a long battle, we had to convince the German blank maker it was worth their while helping us, but they put a lot of R & D into it, and it was lucky they work with the DIN people on testing so closely. A £30,000 investment in laser marking was the final step..
Finished result is pleasing though...

If members of the forum are happy to mail in their legal docs (special delivery is best) we can return then safe with the plates they are entitled to, by guaranteed next day post (24hr turnaround)

My focus came from ford fitted with steel pressed plates the hoonigan's

Perhaps when they say " Show Room Condition" they can't be questioned over the legality of the reg plates, because show plates are not road legal ;)

Lmao

• Like 1

I was discussing this subject with a Traffic Officer today and his definitive answer is British plates must have the BSAU 145d mark displayed or it or else it is not acceptable on the road.

Metal plates are a no-no.

Font type, size and spacing must comply and the only logos accepted are either the standard GB EU logo or GB with regional logos (such as yorkshire rose, welsh dragon, Cornish cross etc).

Car manufacturer logos (Ford, Vaux##ll, BMW etc)are not permitted

I was discussing this subject with a Traffic Officer today and his definitive answer is British plates must have the BSAU 145d mark displayed or it or else it is not acceptable on the road.

Metal plates are a no-no.

Font type, size and spacing must comply and the only logos accepted are either the standard GB EU logo or GB with regional logos (such as yorkshire rose, welsh dragon, Cornish cross etc).

Car manufacturer logos (Ford, Vaux##ll, BMW etc)are not permitted

Oops...