Do Not Sell My Personal Information

59 Zetec S To The New St - Worth The Switch?

TheLyonKing90

I'm the proud owner of a black Zetec S, and have been for 2 years. I have made some adaptations, purely cosmetic, including adding a white strip of DRLs under the headlamp units, upgrading the lights to LED or otherwise better, and finally adding the custom grille at the front. It makes for one proud owner.

And then we have the ST - what a car! A really top drive. Apart from the opinion dividing front end, better in every way. Personally I think both old and new are good looking cars. But this is the question - is it worth upgrading to? I thought I'd pose this question to a more objective audience on here rather than friends/family who seem to think that they're identical (true to an extent) and a car is 'just a car'.

What do you all think? Anyone out the made a similar change? Again, worth it? I was thinking about adding the Mountune engine upgrade too.

Long message, I know - my bad. Thanks in advance guys, really stumped on this one!

It should be a gut feeling! I questioned buying my new ZS but once I test drove one then couldn't say no. If I were in a position to be able to get a new fiesta ST I wouldn't think twice! :)

Thanks for the replies so far guys. In response to Clarky2013, if you were able to trade your ZS for the ST, could you justify the price hike? Just interested.

Cheers fellas.

Definately - yes - if you can afford to buy/ insure/ run it

FOCA, same question to you. All things considered, would you upgrade your ZS to a ST? Cheers.

I'm looking to do this as well (currently got a 60 plate ZS which I bought new 3 years ago). I've already test driven the new Focus ST but buying it just didn't feel right for some reason. I have a much better feeling about the Fiesta ST and thus have a test drive booked for next Saturday. If this goes well I'll be buying one, so in my opinion it's definately worth the upgrade (you've already driven it I take it based on your first post?).

It has the extra power, better brakes, a 6th gear, should cost about the same in petrol (and tax & servicing), the front end looks more aggresive, interior is much better (eg seats, steering wheel and for me the sony dab) and probably loads more stuff I can't recall at the moment. Assuming the price is right it's a no brainer!

Thanks again guys. This forum is great for this sort of thing. Will have to do some maths to see whether it can be done.

Cheers fellas. Keep opinions coming!

Btw MartynS, it's a cracking drive - Saturday can't come quicker!

All the best.

Best thing to do is test drive the ST you wont thonk twice about your decision ;)

i was in the same situation as you as i had an 10 plate zetec s tdci fully loaded which i had from new =great car,but then after looking at pics and reviews decided without driving it mind you! to just go for it, st=exceptional car. :D

now its sat on my drive its not just the driving experience it's the whole package like the build quality it is way way better it's like all the gripes i had about interior quality they have answered aswell.

you won't regret it mate as long as you can afford itl lol :driving: .

FOCA, same question to you. All things considered, would you upgrade your ZS to a ST? Cheers.

I don't have a ZS

I found this -

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2012/1232690/ford_fiesta_1_6_ti-vct_zetec-s.html

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/performance/2013/1845800/ford_fiesta_st.html

Hi Alex , just read this thread as not been on here for a while , i had a 59plate Zetec S and then moved onto the S1600 :) both were great cars with S1600 having a bit more power and luxuries but they don't compare or come close to the St !

I test drove a Focus St with the view of buying one but couldn't justify the price even with my Privilege Discount plus it's the 5 doors i don't like as in being sporty looking , i waited for the Fiesta St and was totally worth the wait without even test driving one as no Demos were available at the time as i ordered mine back in January taking delivery in mid April .

I am just sitting on 1900 miles in mine so far as didn't use it much at first after being made redundant , now back working doing a 53 round trip to work and driving as if i am taking Miss Daisy out for a drive and returning good Mpg , on my present tank i have done 210miles with 279miles showing to end of range with the the average trip reading 47.9 Mpg so it quite good if you take it easy changing up at 2/2,500rpm and when you fancy a blast on boost you get the biggest grin on ya face and the sound is amazing :)

Mine gets better with more miles getting looser as in gear change seems slicker and the engine getting livelier especially in 2nd and 3rd gear with great punch out of roundabouts with amazing grip , i run mine in sport mode with a bit of slip so get a slight bit of wheel spin in 2nd at high rev's or if the road is uneven , it handles like a go-kart and runs rings round most cars an suprises the bigger ones too as i raced an Audi S5 3.0 Tdi which has massive torque away from traffic lights , he got away sharp ish probably due to being an auto but i nearly had him but it went 2 lanes into 1 so i backed off !

If you can run to it and afford one then go for it and get one as its Fun Fun with big Smiles :)