Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Fitting A Egr Blanking Plate Cause A Dash Light To Come On (Mk7)

mattiff

Bought a blanking plate from eBay and have been doing the usual Internet reading of various forums etc and it seems the modern diesels recognise that the EGR has been blanked off and throws up a warning light. But as I said, this is just odd people saying it about other models and so was wondering if anyone has done it on the mk7 duratorq diesels or am I going to be the guinea pig lol.

• Like 1

Think you may need to be the guinea pig I'm afraid, I was thinking of doing it but just never got around to doing so unfortunately.

• Like 1

Euro IV and Later engines will more than likely show up a warning light after a period of time.

I know my euro IV mondeo I reset the light roughly every 1-2 weeks. I use a bluetooth device for my iPhone for convenience.

• Like 1

My Euro 4 focus 1.8tdci has been blanked off for a while now, and ive not had 1 problem with it, no lights, no ill effects, nothing..... All going well i'll be changing to a fiesta tdci soon, and this will be one of my first jobs............

• Like 1

Hmmm sounds interesting, I'm going to fit it some time this week as I've got to drive London next week which should be a decent enough stretch for it.m

Stef, do you have an app that turns off warning lights over bluetooth? If so what's it called please?

• Like 1

If you're on Android i can strongly recommend Torque. It can read/show all you're sensors/data live and also you're codes and reset them.

• Like 1

Matthew, its called 'dash command' but its not cheap! £30 IIRC. I use it on a regular basis for myself and others. Having the ability to read live data and codes at anytime is great. I always have the bluetooth bit in the glovebox

• Like 1

£30, you're right that ain't cheap. Might look into it though at a later date as it sounds pretty smart to have.

• Like 1

With the mondeos euro4 onwards, the EML light does come on eventualy when the egr is blanked. But all we do is buy a cheap code reader off eBay (less than £20) and erase it once a week to make sure there are no otherfaults to bring on the EML.

I am assuming it will be a similar set up with the fiesta

Hi Matt,

If it helps I've got a 2010 Focus 1.6TDCi DV6 Dura-Torq engine,

I've blanked the egr last may and put a how to guide on here about it,

It has never thrown up one error at all,

And that's a full blank egr plate no hole in the centre.

All positive results

It was your build thread that I got the idea for it from. Hadn't seen it until I read it.

• Like 1

I'd go with what the other guys have said and just blank it, see what happens.

• Like 1

End of the day there are few quid, if you had a prob and didnt want to reset just remove and clear fault no biggy, And i also got the idea from reading Lenny's build thread. :D

• Like 1

Thanks mate,

Its a pleasure to hear and thanks for reading, blanking the egr will help your engine and I've got the exact same engine in my focus so I doubt you will get any errors coming up, I told my local ford dealer that I had blanked encase he would see an error code on servicing and perhaps charge me extra labour investigating,

But when I told him I'd blanked the egr " he says best thing you could do on a modern diesel is blank the egr with a stainless steel plate" llol and that's ford talking! They build the things and promote blanking.

Anyways here is a link to fitting if required pal :

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

+1.

When my mondeo was in for blowing black smoke. The chief ford mech at my local dealer blanked the egr with an old tin can. If ford mechs put their job on the line by doing something like this, there must be somethign in it. (since then i have replaced it with for a 4mm stainless steel blank)

Also as Lenny says higher up on the thread. Get a solid blank, not one with a hole. It defeats the object of having a blank if you put a hole in it, and, ifthe EML is going to come on it will come on whether the hole is there or not.

• Like 1

It's happening tomorrow unless the missus gets a cob on, she asked me if we were going to do anything tomorrow as "I've been spending ages on the car recently" lol. Sure she won't mind me spending a couple of hours doing this mwhahaha.

• Like 2

It's happening tomorrow unless the missus gets a cob on, she asked me if we were going to do anything tomorrow as "I've been spending ages on the car recently" lol. Sure she won't mind me spending a couple of hours doing this mwhahaha.

Brave man :lol:

• Like 1

Well Matthew mate,

What's the Score ?

Did you get the EGR blanked ? :)

Sadly not, it has been chucking it down all day here and the beginning of the Premier League and 20/20 cricket final has kept me in front of the TV.

I did buy myself some illuminated scuff plates to make up for it though :).

• Like 1

I've got the next two weeks off so plenty of time to fit any mods, but have been there myself before in the rain or cold many a time.

• Like 1

cant beat those desperate times when you just have to crack on haha.

I can remember fitting 4 brake hoses in about 4-5 inches of snow a couple of years ago. I had to park the car across the driveway to stop it running away while I was under it working away.

• Like 2

Brings back old memories, dark evenings with a bedside lamp balanced on the wing whilst chucking it down trying to fix the car

Happy Days!!!!! :lol:

• Like 2