Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Summer Tyre Should I Pick?

b55

Hi,

I have 2009 mk2.5 Ford Focus 1.6(petrol) hatcback car. I have been reading comments from tyre review websites and some advices from blogs but I am confused and I heard that most of the car crashes happens because of wrong tire choice. So, I don't want to make a mistake. Could you please help me to pick summer tyre for my car?

Tire size is 195/65/15 91 H. The car came with Bridgestone's Turanza ER300. I haven't had a problem with them so far but they need to be changed. I read that they are good on especially wet but they are noisy. I don't care about the noise at all. Safety and performance is more important to me. I live in Turkey/Izmir which is very hot city in summer and rainy most of the time in the winter. There are lots of cracks and some holes on the roads.(poor asphalt quality) I made a list but I can't decide :ermm:

Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (same on the car)
Bridgestone Turanza T001 (they say it is new er300)
Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 (I saw it on other Focus hatcbacks)
Michelin EnergySaver / +
Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

or if you have other tyre brand/model suggestions please write here.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting...I'm not sure that I'd start from there, exactly.

I have been reading comments from tyre review websites and some advices from blogs but I am confused and I heard that most of the car crashes happens because of wrong tire choice.

well, most people adapt their driving to the grip that their car has, so, if you count 'driving your car like it has very grippy tyres when it doesn't' as an accident due to wrong tyre choice, that's probably true, but it is not the only way of seeing that set of circumstances.

Tire size is 195/65/15 91 H. The car came with Bridgestone's Turanza ER300. I haven't had a problem with them so far but they need to be changed. I read that they are good on especially wet but they are noisy. I don't care about the noise at all. Safety and performance is more important to me.

Given that you don't mention it, it seems that fuel economy isn't that important to you.

I live in Turkey/Izmir which is very hot city in summer and rainy most of the time in the winter.

I'd also guess that performance on snow isn't that important to you, although maybe there are elevated areas where winter snow might occur.

1. Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (same on the car)
  2. Bridgestone Turanza T001 (they say it is new er300)
  3. Continental ContiPremiumContact 2 (I saw it on other Focus hatcbacks)
  4. Michelin EnergySaver / +
  5. Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance

while I know that Bridgestone are usually classified as a premium tyre manufacturer, I can't remember seeing test reults on Bridgestones that are very persuasive. that is, they certainly make 'OK' tyres, I'm not sure that I've seen any that ever make me go 'wow, those Bridgestones are much better!'.

Out of that list, 4 & 5 are 'Eco' (energy saving/fuel efficiency) tyres. Michelins are usually quite expensive too, so, based on your stated priorities, I'd say these aren't the most appropriate tyres 9though the Efficient Grip Performances particularly are good tyres, they just don't seem to be the most appropriate for your stated requirements, which don't emphasise fuel economy at all, given that you 'pay' for fuel economy in grip and purchase price).

If the Conti SC5 is available in your size, I'd consider that against the PC2 (but they are Contis and so quite expensive...but not as expensive as the Michelins, here at least).

The cheapest tyre that would be vaguely reccomendable would be the Syron Race 1 plus. Certainly not a fuel economy tyre, and the best that could be said would be that they are quite close to significantly more expensive tyres in all performance aspects.

In increasing order of price (prices where you are will probably be different, but the overall order may be similar):

Hankook VENTUS PRIME2 K115

Nokian line

Uniroyal Rain Expert

Dunlop Sport blue response *

Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance *

(* fuel efficiency tyres)

Warnings:

• these are based on other people's reviews, and those aren't necessarily totally reliable
  • market conditions where you are are different from those where I am; this will probably impact prices and therefore value
  • above a certain point in the market, tyres are more 'appropriate' (or not) rather than just 'better'; I've left those fuel efficiency tyres in, although they don't sound to be appropriate for you, but maybe I'm wrong, and they are pretty decent tyres anyway

If safety and performance (presumably you mean in wet or dry conditions above 7 degrees C) are paramount to you -

i recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric (its expensive but that was not a criterion)

The best time (for you) to buy and fit new tyres is just before the rainy season - then you will have good tyres with a lot of tread & grip in the rain - they should last through the year - you won't need so much tread in the summer

Ideally you should buy 4 new tyres for your car - or buy 2 new tyres, and put the new ones on the back axle - that way it makes the car more stable and less liable to "spin"

In the UK we replace our tyres before they wear down to 1.6mm (when they become illegal), it used to be 1mm

The condition/ wear on a tyre is as important as the make, if there are cracks/ splits/ bulges on the tyre it should be disposed of, it should be repaired properly if it is punctured

The recommended tyre pressures should be maintained (unless you are carrying extra weight or drive very hard - then you may run custom/ special pressures front- to back or adjust the pressures for fuel saving or handling balance (like me) but not above the maximum specified on the tyre)

the above is just my opinion - not everyone will nessesarily agree

I was going to buy new 4 turanza er300(my current tire) since no one replied here and other websites. Now I'll consider your thoughts and decide which tire again more specifically. Thank your both of you for the comments.

get the efficientgrip performance. i got the turanza t001 and they were slightly worse in ride than the er300. goodyears are rated better for noise and grip

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club