Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1992 Granada Scorpio Exterior Chrome Trim

Wabb1t

Hi,

I have a 1992 Granada Scorpio. I need to go about replacing the exterior chrome trim inserts on the bumpers as the chrome is all peppered, and the inserts on the doors as they are too peppered, the laquer is peeling off and on both front doors the trim is coming out of the clips. Can anyone advise whats the best way to replace them, can I get hold of any and how do I get the trim out to replace it. I have a couple of photos which I will post up later when I get home of the car and close up of the trim. Any advice will be appreciated. I have recently had a new paint job and this trim is letting the rest of the car down. Cheers, Terry.

have a look on eBay, search for universal chrome door strips/styling strips...or something like that.

managed to get some for my granada and they looked ok and very reasonably priced

just got to get the size/shape right, sold in rolls so probably need 2-3 to cover the whole car, i only needed to do the rear bumper and two doors.

original ford strips are hard to come by and when you do find some are seriously overpriced

Cheers for that Tony, I have been looking on eBay today and there are a few options. As you say its getting the size right. I have seen there are rolls you can buy that are self adhesive and I guess stick over the top of what is already there, just worried that they might stick out and look like obvious stick ons. The two front doors the trim is lifting out of the runner so I guess it might be easier to glue them in?

i havent got the link anymore unfortunately, but i did find some that were right shape just a fraction smaller width and depth than original, when fitted you didnt notice that difference...

they are on there somewhere :)

from memory, found it easier to just remove about 2" stick on backing every 4-6", made it lot easier to apply and as they apply to plastic no worries of corrosion if water gets behind the bits that arent stuck..

I have found this one on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390643461028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 I am guessing I need to prise out the exiting chrome so I can stick this one in its place. There are a few other cheaper options but not in the roll length as they seem to be 2 metre lengths and I need 3 metres just for the rear bumper.

thats not the one i got but looks right, dont think there were any changes with the 92 facelifts when it came to that trim

think the one i found came in 3mtre rolls, made by 3M iirc

Just trying to see if I can get the trim off a Mk3 thats being broken, providing its better than what I already have, otherwise its going to have to be the reels off eBay. This trim is becoming a thorn in my side after having the respray lol

had exactly the same with mine, spent ages trying to find decent 2nd hand originals but was never happy with them...why i ended up with the rolls....but still kept looking even though the aftermarket looked ok...better than what i had.

starting to regret getting rid of car now..should have garaged it up but hey ho...till the next one..

thinking about it, i probably still have a few bits and pieces if you want them...think ive got couple of spare fuse boxes and at least one headlight, plus loads of little bits

Well I will keep trying and I will try all the Ford groups on FB too. If you have some odd and sods to get rid of how much do you want for them and what do you have?

ill have a sort out and get back to you, happy to give them away at cost of postage if your interested in any of it

Ok mate sounds great cheers :D Ok I will wait for you to let me know.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my chrome trim. Did you find  a solution ? And if so what was it please ? 

Thanks, Neil.