Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1.6Tdci 57 110 Acting Strange

Mayo85

Hi guys Iv owned my 57 plate focus 1.6 tdci for just under a year now.

Within a month of owning it the dpf failed so it was either have it replaced by ford for over £1000 of have it removed and deleted for £400. I opted for the removal.

Anyway after having the dpf removed the car was spot on, loads of power and no warning lights. It did however now and then let out a but if smoke.

Recently the car had a engine system failure warning and a red light on the dash come on but there was no signs of any problems so I put it down to the dpf not being deleted propery. After the light being on for a few weeks the lost all its power. It would get up to speed and I could use more than 3000 revs but just seemed to struggle to get up to speed and the car started to smoke randomly i.e. it would smoke every 5th trip out.

I noticed it would only smoke when I took my food off the pedals. It would let out quite a bit if smoke.

I got the car serviced by ford hoping that that would sort the problem. It did sort the power issue but on the odd occasion the car will lose all its power and smoke. if I pull over turn it all off and restart it it'll be fine.

This is really frustrating me not to mention embarrassing me when it's smoking.

Any ideas on the cause are appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

I don't know if it helps but did you have the DPF done at a Ford dealers if not maybe take it back to where it was done because its not right.

With a DPF fitted it means you should every now and then you should flaw it in a lower gear like driving in the ITALIAN JOB this will shift the black stuff.

Personally I wouldn't buy a car with a DPF fitted that's my opinion or mess about having one taken out.

Hi mate. The dpf has been removed so its not the dpf that's the problem.

Tbh I didn't even know what a dpf was when I bought this car but now I know everything about them.

I was only thinking having it removed would have messed up the balance of the car.

if it was the dpf throwing up a code / eml light, it would have done it straight away...... my guess could be the egr valve? could be way off though, but for a blanking plate for 4 quid of eBay you carnt go wrong, even if its not the problem, it will help the car loads and improve your driving experience

I was only thinking having it removed would have messed up the balance of the car.

When the dpf is removed it improves the performance of the car. It slows the car to breathe

if it was the dpf throwing up a code / eml light, it would have done it straight away...... my guess could be the egr valve? could be way off though, but for a blanking plate for 4 quid of ebay you carnt go wrong, even if its not the problem, it will help the car loads and improve your driving experience

I was thinking along the lines of the egr valve or the turbo.

I was thinking of giving the egr a clean. Would the egr cause an issue like this?

Have you fitted the blanking plate? Any links for it?

Thanks

the link you require in on a signiture of a bloke called lenny (how to fit)

without seeing your egr valve this is a guess

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Blanking-Plate-Ford-Fiesta-Fusion-Focus-Focus-c-max-TDCi-C-Max-TDCi-dpf-/130697997251?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e6e352bc3

when my egr valve was not working properly, the car badly was lumpy (it would go then die, like kangaroo juice) up in rev range, did not want to rev at all, no matter how much beans you gave it... when your travelling and want to over take, and drop it down a gear and there's nothing there, it gets worrying... and mine kicked out smoke like no tomorrow under throttle and none....

Yes i have 1 fitted but mine is a different engine i have a 1.8 tdci on a 58 plate, and i and most of the members on here would say get it blanked off :-)

Thanks for the reassurance.

I fitted the blanking plate yesterday. After I fitted it I took it for a spin. The car disnt blow up so I'm happy with that lol the car seemed to be a bit more responsive with a little extra pull but wasn't sure if it was just a placebo in my head so I sent the mrs out, when she returned she said it feel like a different car just like when we first got it.

I'm still getting the system engine failure with the little red light though??

Time will tell, hopefully it won't go into its sluggish mode and start smoking again.

I'm hopeful but not counting my chickens just yet.

Thanks

You really need to check and clear the codes and see if the error comes back. until this is done the light may stay on even if you have fixed the issue. The car normally takes (IIRC) about 15 - 40 restarts without the error, before the light will go out.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys sorry for the revival of my old thread. Iv had the car on a diagnostics tool that came back with low eolys fluid.

Iv been told to have this filled with diesel. If I fill it will the error automatically go and the car go back to normal or will I still need the car to be put on a computer and have the sensor reset?

24B2B025-9728-4F7E-B9EF-F13D2111CCF1_zps

Thanks

Al

Half of my post above is missing for some reason?

Here's the full post.

Thanks to the diagnostics check I was put on the right track and thanks to this thread

I checked to see if the sensor had been unplugged,, guess what it hadn't!

BINGO!!! no I have no warning light or engine system failure on the dash and increased power.

I'll just have to wait and see if it goes into limp mode and smokes again. I'll be keeping my fingers and toes crossed

I was just going to suggest plugging out the sensor under the back seats, but looks like you worked that out already, well done and enjoy. I still need to blank off the egr and hopefully get that benefit as well (same car and engine vintage as you)

• Like 1

I hope it works for you mate as it hasn't for me, after a day or so I was getting errors again so I've plugged it back in, where did you get it remapped?

The lights still off and tthe car certainly feels better.

The car was bunny hopping a lot in every gear at every rev range and since I'd blanked the egr valve off I knew it couldn't be because of that so I was advised it must be the fuel filter. Had that changed today and it has done it 3 times. That's like 90x better than it was but it worries me that it has still done it.

Is that normal for a new fuel filter? Do they need to bed inn?

Or could it be something else causing it?

Thanks

I hope it works for you mate as it hasn't for me, after a day or so I was getting errors again so I've plugged it back in,  where did you get it remapped?

It was done by the cowboys at powertune in widnes, Cheshire.

The fuel filter doesn't need to bed in. The only thing I could suggest is don't use supermarket crap and don't let the tank run to low as you maybe getting some rubbish going through the fuel system. Try some redex diesel fuel treatment cos someone who owned it before you may have used supermarket crap. If not check to see if your model has a DPF filter if so it may need a clean.

that wil be my reply regarding the sensor behind the seat...i watched them remove it when ,y remap was done. they said a lot of tuners forgot about that one :P

glad to help :p - mine still running great- although i need to get injector 3 looked at again- seal keeps leaking- will be 3rd time in year that its getting looked at!!! very annoying

• Like 1

i also had egr delete done with remap and also blanked off with a plate- just takes forever to warm up -horrible in these cold mornings!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

that wil be my reply regarding the sensor behind the seat...i watched them remove it when ,y remap was done. they said a lot of tuners forgot about that one :P

glad to help :p - mine still running great- although i need to get injector 3 looked at again- seal keeps leaking- will be 3rd time in year that its getting looked at!!! very annoying

Yea thanks for that pal saved me a few quid trying to sort that problem.

The cars still bunny hopping though quite a lot:(

Gonna check all the pipes later. Any ideas what else could cause this problem?

Hate this car!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Anyone help plz. The car was doing it very violently before:( the engine is even doing it when the car is idling

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club