Do Not Sell My Personal Information

! Guide ! Installing A Sub Box To Mk7

TitaniumSteve

Hey, Ive recently puchased a mk 7 fiesta with the sony head unit etc. I was just wondering if anybody has the know how about fitting a sub and amp to this unit? Will it be the same as the regular headset?? Ive had the sub and amp for some time now so hoping to use these (= P.S one month til i pick my baby up!! :D

• 1 month later...

I am writing this guide in addition to my first guide to help others if they want to install a sub box into the Mk7 using a RCA convertor to create pre amps out.

Firstly I will add that this is not a simple job and I would not advise this to be done by a novice. How ever I hope my guide will make it easier for anyone trying to do the same. Also I will add for those that are screamish laugh.gif this does invole taking apart a 3 week old car, but absolutly no damage was done to my new little car.

So here we go.

Take out the front head unit, refer to my FIRST guide to do this. Once you have the head unit out you will have to disconnect two multi blocks from the rear of the unit, disconnect both and remove head unit to a safe place. The smaller multi block is just data cables. The connection you are interested in is the larger multiblock. When you look the block you will see 5 pairs of wires top n bottom plus a single cable on its own. The single cable on its own is the ignition live (only goes live when ignition is on). At the other end of the block you will see two fatter cables, the cable with black on it is the ground, and the other is the permannet live. The other eight cables which are a variety of colours are the speaker cables. The top row is the positive and bottom is negative.

Image0034.jpg

Now take your RCA convertor on it you will have two positive speaker cables and two negative speaker cables. To avoid cutting cables you can push a bare end cable into the back of the multi blocks so push two positive into the top row and two positive into the bottom row. It is not important which speaker connection you use just as long as you use the same for both neg and pos. On your RCA convertor you will also have a positive and negative cable, again push the bare end cable from your RCA convertor into the appropriate neg and pos connection on the multi block. Now with your ampilifier kit you will be supplied with a long blue remote live cable, this cable is pushed into the back of the ignition live cable (the single cable on the multi block), this will mean your amp will on go on when your ignition is on.

Next you will have to feed your RCA cables, (supplied with your amp), your blue remote cable and your power cable to the rear of the car. First tie off your RCA cable and remote cable to something at the head unit so you dont pull them through.

Image0029.jpg

It is fairly easy to feed your RCA cables and your remote cable down from the head unit to the floor. You can then tuck them in behind the carpet, and lead them to the small side panel on the passenger side.

Image0030.jpg

Now you can take your main min 8 gauge power cable and connect it to the battery.

Image0033.jpg

Then this cable can be fed down through a hole next to the washer bottle which will bring it out by the inner arch wheel trim. Thread it round the arch, and by the door hinge you will see some foam sound insulation, this can be moved to the side so the cable can be fed through the hinge to the interior.

Image0028.jpg

Now lift up the rubber waterproof trim and feed 3 cables along it, the power cable the RCA cable and the remote cable, and they will now come out by the rear seats.

Image0031.jpg

It is now possible to pass all 3 cables along the side of the back seat so that they come out in the boot.

Image0032.jpg

Now just when you thought you were done you now have to create an Earth cable, this should be as short as possible and taken from the rear. I used one of the 13mm bolts that hold seat belt mounting in. Simple take out bolt connect your earth cable and put bolt back in.

Image0036.jpg

Now the fun bit connect all those cable up to your amp. I am using a active sub, meaning the amp is bulit into the sub box. To test it temporarily reconnect the front head unit and dash and power it up to see if it all works, (remember to turn on your ignition).

Image0035.jpg

It should all now come on. With me it all worked first time, I was very pround of myself.

Image0038.jpg

You can now put the car carefully back together. I did this whole job without a single scratch and no damage to the car at all, the entire system could be taken out without any sign that had been there.

I hope this guide has been of some use. Any questions then please ask.

Steve

hey man, you lifted the waterproof rubber in order to fit the power cable. how did you put it back?I mean that with the power cable over there it may not be waterproof any more!

• 9 months later...

hey guys- all who installed a sub to the mk7 standard fordy h/unit- did you notice a difference with the standard Speakers? mine are a bit pants as is.... cause i like a bit of bass.... a lotta bass! and the standard Speakers just can't handle me!

• 1 month later...

hi. i have recently ask a shop to install amp and 6x9 Speakers on my parcel shelf. i supplied the amp and Speakers for the job. after the job was done and they said i have to book another time because it has a very bad interference with my Speakers but i dont have time till next week so i want to know what seem to be the problem with it? i have also told putting another amp in but still do the same and i tried a sub as well but it still makes a very bad interference noise. i'll have ask how they have put the rca cable in they said they done it from the rear speakers etc. i really rather do it myself if i can to sort the problem out rather wasting more time on the weekend to try look for the problem?

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Great guide, it's helped me loads and I understand it all. However, I really cannot find where the hole is for the power wire of the sub from the battery goes into the car is? Any detailed explanations, especially with pictures is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

• 2 months later...

I got my sub installed by Audiowise in eastkilbride.

They took the door panels off (or the trim atleast) and then the wires go UNDER the passanger seats, so totally not visible anywhere in the car, except in the boot where they connect to the sub and amp.

cost me £220 to get fitted (quoted 120 but cause it was the first mk7.5 they ever done it took them a few hours more to do it)
That's including 4-gauge cables and a high level adapter so I could keep my original stereo and upgrade my sub to a more powerful one in the future.

so pretty good price.

Ryan - there is a "hose" (contains wires) under the hood that goes into the body.

The guys at audio wise just poked a hole through it and fed the wire into the hose.
on the same side as the window washer fluid.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I believe i have the same model Fiesta as this one. but im still useless at trying to instal my Sub. Is anyone near the Swindon area that would be willing to install it for me if i pay them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I don't know if this is the easiest way to explain this but hopefully someone can explain/help me out

Im considering installing a active sub when I get my new fiesta all I wanted to know is : how do you control the volumes on it e.g the bass and frequency. I understand that it would be controlled on the enclosure itself but is there anyway to control it from the radio menus ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hey,

I don't know if this is the easiest way to explain this but hopefully someone can explain/help me out

Im considering installing a active sub when I get my new fiesta all I wanted to know is : how do you control the volumes on it e.g the bass and frequency. I understand that it would be controlled on the enclosure itself but is there anyway to control it from the radio menus ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

I control mines from the dash radio.

In the sound menu you can change the bass from -7 to +7

As well as "middle" and "treble"

I control mines from the dash radio.

In the sound menu you can change the bass from -7 to +7

As well as "middle" and "treble"

Yeah that's what I thought it would be like but I thought there might be a separate option for the sub itself if you see where im coming from ?

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

When you push the cables into the multi block how do you get them to stay in? Doesn't seem very secure. Nice tutorial please reply.

• Like 1

multiblocks normally have a screw to tighten to hold the wire in place.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. Does the stereo have the jacks to plug the amp straight in or do I need some kind of adapter. Thanks

Vettie

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi. Does the stereo have the jacks to plug the amp straight in or do I need some kind of adapter. Thanks

Vettie

Hi,

You will need a low level RCA output adaptor such as this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-TO-RCA-CONVERTER-HIGH-TO-LOW-LINE-LEVEL-CABLE-/270662823340

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have wired my sub and amp in the same fashion as this, however i am getting some interference from somewhere. if i am not playing any music, there is a constant noise coming from the sub, and if i indicate or even flash my lights there is almost a heartbeat sort of beat from the sub. Could anyone tell me what could be causing this? I bought both sub and amp second hand, but the wiring kit was from motorworld and is an 8 gauge set.

Thanks!

Tom

• Like 1

Check where your remote is, chances are you're picking up interference from there.

Remember also don't run your RCA's directly beside your power cables down the side of the car, it takes longer but you're better running them down opposite sides of the car! That saves noise too. And of that still doesn't work then you can get noise suppressors that will cancel out the noise!

Should I run the remote down the same as the RCA cables or power cable??

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Should I run the remote down the same as the RCA cables or power cable??

Same side as the power cable,

I recommend a ground loop isolator to eliminate interferance see link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251215258169

It filters the audio feed and removes any spikes from the negative line.

Has anyone used on of these RCA adapters with Remote/ Power out ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Level-Speaker-to-Low-Level-RCA-Converter-Adaptor-2-Channel-With-Auto-Remote-/371217639275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566e4ba76b

Am I right in thinking that with this there would be no need to remove the headunit & the Power & Remote cables from the adapter could be wired up directly to the AMP (which will be in the boot with the sub) ?

And the speaker connection taken directly from the rear Speakers ?

ONLY will need to run the POWER cable for the AMP to the battery

• Like 1

Has anyone used on of these RCA adapters with Remote/ Power out ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Level-Speaker-to-Low-Level-RCA-Converter-Adaptor-2-Channel-With-Auto-Remote-/371217639275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item566e4ba76b

Am I right in thinking that with this there would be no need to remove the headunit & the Power & Remote cables from the adapter could be wired up directly to the AMP (which will be in the boot with the sub) ?

And the speaker connection taken directly from the rear speakers ?

ONLY will need to run the POWER cable for the AMP to the battery

Yes thats correct no need to remove headunit,

This perticular model does need a 12v feed; for this you could fit a piggy back mini blade fuse adaptor to the passenger glove box on a fuse which becomes live at ignition,

Just need power cable from battery and RCA from this box to your amp,

Audio cable between amp and sub i recommend vibe flatbass 13AWG

Im currently selling that aswell as some amp power cables etc see link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mr.cha-ching/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Great - I think I will be placing a order........

For the 12v feed from the adapter, surely I could connect to the Power terminal on the AMP (where the main power cable connects) ???

Same for the earth (of the amp) ???

Thanks for the link for the power cables BUT have already got everything which I have removed from my last car........

• Like 1

Great - I think I will be placing a order........

For the 12v feed from the adapter, surely I could connect to the Power terminal on the AMP (where the main power cable connects) ???

Same for the earth (of the amp) ???

Thanks for the link for the power cables BUT have already got everything which I have removed from my last car........

You could splice them in with the feeds directly from battery while fitting an in-line fuse to protect the low level rca adaptor

It may say amperage on the box itself im guessing 10amp

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club