Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question About New Tyres And How They "feel" When In Car

Blizzarduk

Hi everyone, new here :)

I suffer from a spine condition, a curved weak back, and since getting 2 new front tyres on my car today I found the journey home very uncomfortable on my back and neck. Before with my old worn out tyres I was very comfortable in my car (Mondeo). I know that this is not a doctors forum, but can anyone think of any reason why new tyres would be more uncomfortable ? Do they take a while to settle in ? These tyres are much better in quality than my old worn budget ones. The feeling I get is that my back is being pushed up in to my neck/head. The car itself though moves a lot smoother around bends, if that makes sense.

Again, I know this is not a medical forum, but I am trying to work out if perhaps this is a common thing that happens to people with back issues when they get brand new tyres, it has only been 1 journey so far. I am just hoping they have to wear in or something. I wonder if perhaps because they are fully pumped up there is no give in them, maybe. I know I had the exact same feeling when I took my car in to a garage for 2 new coil springs, and for 3 weeks every car journey made me feel awful and so painful. I am fully sure though the garage that installed them did everything right, and the tyres themselves are fine, anyone without a back issue would have no problem I am sure.

I really wish I knew why this happens. Just wondered if others have felt something similar after getting 2 new front tyres. Thanks.

Tyres take some time to bed in.

1) the tyres may be a different and more 'hard wearing' compound, so it could be a less bump absorbant tyre

2) the tyres will need to bed in, so it could be that the compound will wear into a more absorbant manner :)

Thanks for that. These new tyres are called Barum BRILLANTIS 2, the tyres I had on previously were the next level down on budgets (unknown brand to me).

So even if it is a harder wearing compound, it should still bed in okay over time ?

should bed in to an extent yes, but as each tyre is manufactured differently, I wouldnt say wait out for the erfect driving experience you previously had.

Do you have any additional lumbar supports in the car? they may help you?

Well, some tyres are less comfortable than others, but I'd be a little surprised if it were that much of a difference.

Mind you, Run on Flat tyres can be distinctly less comfortable, but I'd doubt that you had those without the fitter telling you all about it. XL tyres are probably a bit less comfortable, too (in my size, the XL tyres are 97 and the non-XL are 94 rated, eg, 235/45/17 97 Y versus 235/45/17 94 Y; your size data will be different, but the point is that if the 9x number has increased, that is likely to be a slightly less comfortable tyre).

The first thing that I'd check is that the fitting garage haven't dramatically over-inflated them. Many tyre fitters seem to be totally unconcerned about the pressure, provided that the tyres stay on the rims (they really shouldn't be that casual about it, but it does happen).

Thanks guys for the answers. The tyre sizes are the same as I had before, only difference these are slightly better in quality as before I had the lowest budget ones. However, my back only started being a problem for me a long while after the previous front tyres were fitted, so there is always the chance I would have had a problem at the start of those two. I remember having an awful time for 3 weeks after I had 2 new front road springs fitted, not sure if that is related or not, but after 3 weeks the car went back to being comfortable again.

Support wise I use a special wedge shaped cushion. Perhaps I should find something better.

I also wondered if maybe my problem is the tyre pressure, perhaps like is said, the tyres may have been over inflated when they were being balanced and fitted.I will have to get a pump or something to try and find out. I also really wish I was able to tell if the problem would be the same on all new tyres or just these, no real easy or free way to find out.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Has the correct size tyre been fitted? Using one with a smaller sidewall will make the ride significantly less comfortable.

+1 on Stef's comment, As well as throwing the speedometer accuracy to the dogs!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club