Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.4 2001 - Oil Pressure Sensor (Bad Oil Leak)

snitchdnb21

I recently had my Cambelt replaced on my Focus privately - which also 'caused' (somehow) a idle problem with my engine which was solved by cleaning the MAF and throttle body.

However I now have an oil leak - pretty bad to be honest.

I have replaced the Rocker Cover Gasket which I originally thought was the problem and this is not the problem.

The oil is spraying onto everything just above the sump level. I have checked the timing belt aswell as the drive belt to see if there a was leak or if it was spraying off which it was not. I got under the car and saw it virtually pouring out of a small hole just above the sump - I do not know many parts so not to good at identifying.

post-36821-0-87168900-1377978241_thumb.jpost-36821-0-93190200-1377978250_thumb.j

^ This is where the oil is pouring out.

My Oil Pressure light never came on when my oil was really low, In my attempt to find the Oil pressure sensor - I cannot, someone did suggest this might be it? which would indicate why the light never came on.

http://youtu.be/O81QniMGWC4

^ the hole the oil is pouring out and other places I found oil leaks.

Please could someone help me identify what this could be? (A bolt was screwed in to help identify what hole was leaking).

Thank you for your time!(s) and sorry for my naivety.

There should always be a threaded plug (bolt) in the hole where the oil is pouring out. This hole is intended for installing the timing tool to adjust the correct timing of the timing belt. It seems to be that the man who changed your timing belt forgot to fasten the plug after the timing belt was changed.

In my opinion you should install a new plug and clean the engine. I suppose this will solve the oil leaking. Also remove the timing belt covers and inspect the timing belt. Make sure no oil came on the timing belt. When the timing belt is oily you have to replace it. Oil can damage/weaken the timing belt which can cause it to break prematurely.

• Like 1

There should always be a threaded plug (bolt) in the hole where the oil is pouring out. This hole is intended for installing the timing tool to adjust the correct timing of the timing belt. It seems to be that the man who changed your timing belt forgot to fasten the plug after the timing belt was changed.

In my opinion you should install a new plug and clean the engine. I suppose this will solve the oil leaking. Also remove the timing belt covers and inspect the timing belt. Make sure no oil came on the timing belt. When the timing belt is oily you have to replace it. Oil can damage/weaken the timing belt which can cause it to break prematurely.

Thank you very much for reply and your time.

In no way I am doubting your knowledge, just curious as to why the timing bolt would be near the bottom of the engine as opposed to at the side by the cam belt?

Is it possible to find a picture of this for my reference.

I appreciate your help very much.

There are 2 timing tools needed to change the timing belt.

The first one is a plate which needs to be inserted into the slots of both camshafts This tool locks both camshafts in the correct position.

The second one is a threaded pin wich needs to be inserted in a threaded hole at the bottom side of the engine block. This tool locks the crankshaft in the correct position.

There are 2 timing tools needed to change the timing belt.

The first one is a plate which needs to be inserted into the slots of both camshafts This tool locks both camshafts in the correct position.

The second one is a threaded pin wich needs to be inserted in a threaded hole at the bottom side of the engine block. This tool locks the crankshaft in the correct position.

This made sense, thank you!.

I have used temporarily used the bolt until (tuesday) when I can purchase the new pin. Is it okay to fit myself? or will it need adjustment?

I also took the cam cover off and looked inside and underneath - no oil on the cam belt or inside.

Thank you JW1982 - brilliant help.

You should be able to install a new theaded plug yourself. You only have to install it and fasten it. There is nothing to adjust.

Temporarily you even could use a normal bolt with copper or aluminium washer to plug the hole.

A phone call or a visit to who recently changed the belt would be top on my list of things to do.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club