Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colour Coding

luke.grimbley

Need some advise please...

I'm planning to colour code all the chrome on my car. Whats the best place to buy primer, colour and clear coat? What are the recommended brands? I'v been told to stay away from Halfords.

Can anyone recommend a start to finish guide for spraying car parts? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

• 3 months later...

Hey, I always use my local paint shop for paints etc... It's purely how your going to spray them? Are you going to be using spray guns and compressor? A proper job? Or rattle cans?

You will need to give it a good sanding down, going finer with each sand.. Use prep wipes and if any plastic parts anti static cleaner... You will then have to use a high fill primer and I usually use a good stick plastic primer... Then you would do your base coats and clear coats as normal.. Ensure you sand down between coats and do not rush, you should do fine!

• Like 1

I used Halfords on mine... No issues!

It's all in the prep and making sure you do it properly.

You could ask a local body shop to do it, it'll take them far less time and probably be a better result. But I had no issues with the two bonnet and one boot lip I did

• Like 1

If I do it it will be cans in the shed haha. I painted the interior parts of my old car and they came out perfect, I'm just conscience of the colours matching on the outside.

How much would I expect to pay a body shop to paint the parts? Been quoted £35 for a can of matched paint and i would still need to get primer, lacquer and all the other prep supplies. Might just be worth them doing it so its done right.

Cheers,

Luke

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It depends how much colour coding is to be done, is it the usual plastic parts on sides and bumper? The fog lights surroundings/chrome bonnet piece? It all depends how many pieces.. It would work out cheaper to do all of them at once.. As labour would be reduced... It's all to do with the amount of prep work and supplies work, wouldn't think too much would be used... As most of them would be or width spray of the gun for the trims.. So not much supplies goes into it.

When I colour coded my bump strips and used gloss black with black primer, Gave them a good rub down with wet and dry 600 paper.

Three coats of primer

Three coats of gloss black

Three coats of clear lacquer

not a superb match but very close to it.

• Like 1

If I do it it will be cans in the shed haha. I painted the interior parts of my old car and they came out perfect, I'm just conscience of the colours matching on the outside.

How much would I expect to pay a body shop to paint the parts? Been quoted £35 for a can of matched paint and i would still need to get primer, lacquer and all the other prep supplies. Might just be worth them doing it so its done right.

Cheers,

Luke

+1 mate

Get a price from your local body shop on how much it would be for them to do it for you I reckon 150 pounds tops

Then add up the cost of doing it yourself,

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club