Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluetooth/usb Problem

Lesfingal

I've just bought a 2011 Ford Focus Titanium (UK Older Shape Model) - it is equipped with a Sony CD DAB unit. These may seem basic questions so apologies in advance, the manual is of limited help and so far online searches refer to the Newer 2011 Focus and North American models. The car does not seem to have the SYNC system though I could be wrong.

1. Does the Sony CD DAB unit have bluetooth capability, when pressing the phone menu on the console it only offers audio mute and no bluetooth menu. I am trying to "bond" a Nokia Lumia 610 Windows Phone

2. The audio control unit on the steering wheel has no voice control facility - is this significant in terms of bluetooth availability

3. Again other online sources refer to a USB connection, which I can't find on the console. Does this mean there isn't one or is it hidden? The glove box does have a connection for an MP3 via a jack connector. Is this the extent of the auxiliary inputs.

This is my third Focus and I've never had any problems with previous models. It does seem surprising though that a two year old car presents such problems when connecting basics like Bluetooth and USB devices. I thought that by holding out for a Titanium model that the level of equipment would be more extensive.

I am not that tech savy so basic step by step advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

1. bluetooth is an optional feature which is not controlled by the radio but by a seperate module which is connected to the radio by the CAN-bus network. The bluetooth menu of the radio is only active when a bluetooth module is connected. Otherwise the Phone buttons will only mute the radio.

2. Bluetooth was only available in combination with Voicecontrol (both are controlled by the same module). If you do not have a VOICE button on the radio stalk it indicates that your car does not have the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol option.

3. The USB functionality is also controlled by the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module. Ford offered 2 options for the Focus MK2.5:

* 1. Bluetooth/Voicecontrol.

* 2. Ford Sound & Connect (which consists of Bluetooth/Voicecontrol, USB and Bluetooth audio (A2DP).

It can be different in the UK but on the Dutch Titanium version Bluetooth/Voicecontrol dit not came as standard. It was available as an optional extra (for very little money) or part of an option pack.

Thank you very much for that comprehensive and clear answer. A bit disappointing that on a Titanium trim there's no bluetooth nor USB. I'm just discovering the number of variations on a Focus, just proves that you need to go with a wish list spec. Never mind its not the end of the world. Thanks Again

If you really want it is also possible to retrofit the original Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system.

Ford offers an expensive retrofit kit as an accessoire but most Ford dealers do not even know this. Another possibility is to compile the retrofit kit yourself with used parts.

I retrofitted the complete MK2.5 Sound & Connect system on my MK2 without any problem. At the moment only the USB and A2DP functionality do not work because my current radio (6000 CD MP3 PREMIUM) does not support these functions. Next week I am going to fit a 6-CD Sony DAB radio which will support USB and A2DP.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, is it complicated to retro fit ie changing wiring etc. I wouldn't have specific knowledge in this area.

That's strange, I thought that bluetooth was standard on the Titanium Focus from late 2009 onwards. Ford must have made it not standard at a later date!

Thanks for that, is it complicated to retro fit ie changing wiring etc. I wouldn't have specific knowledge in this area.

The original Bluetooth/Retrofit kit is pretty easy to install. The kit contains a wiring loom which is connected between the radio and radio (quadlock) connector. The wiring is completely plug and play. As far as I know this kit costs about €450,- in Holland. If using used parts you need to make the wiring loom yourself or buy the accessoire wiring loom as a spare part (about €135,-).

I was Lucky and could remove all parts from a scrap car. I paid less than €100,- for all parts including parts of the interior wiring loom which contains the bluetooth.Voicecontrol wiring.