Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sony Stereo Bluetooth Audio Muted After Bt Turned Off

wackyracer8

Hi everyone.

I am after a bit of advice and help. I have a Ford Focus with the Sony stereo (image attached). When I first brought the car I pressed the phone button and it came up with audio muted. I took the glove box out and disconnedted the Nokia bluetooth wire from the box and plugged it back in, all worked well, or so I thought.

When I turn the bluetooth off on the car or my iPhone and then the next day try and connect the two I get the audio muted message again. I then have to reset the bluetooth to connect again.

Can anyone help me with this? I obviously don't want to disconnect the bluetooth every time I want to use it.

Thanks in advance for helping me out guys.

post-46520-0-16590000-1378219799_thumb.j

Does anyone know the model of the above CD player so I can try and find a manual for it?

That is classed as the third generation Ford Sony radio.

There's an online document resource called Scribd, try searching there.

Afaik the Sony gen3 radios are functionally identical to the gen2 and it's just the fascias and physical fitting methods that are different so a gen2 guide should be of use to you.

Thanks mate. Any idea why I get the Audio Muted message after a day or so of the phone being connected? Could it be the Nokia bluetooth module?

Would a ford dealer take a look at this for free? The car has been brought second hand, from a private sale.

The bluetooth module may need resetting.

Have a look in my links below this message (on a computer) there's one for a diagram and location of the MK2.5 fuses, pretty sure there"s a fuse for the bluetooth listed.

The Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is connected to the same fuse as the radio. There are several ways to reset the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module when it is not recognised by the radio (the radio will only mute when no module is connected or detected).

1. Remove the radio fuse for about 20 minutes.

2. Remove the positive battery lead for about 20 minutes.

3. Disconnect the Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module and reconnect it after 20 minutes.

4. Reset the module by a suitable diagnostic interface. An ELM327 interface combined with the free ELMconfig software has the ability to reset the module.

When a module is often not recognised this could be a sign that the module is defective. First you could try to update the firmware of the module. If the module supports USB you can do this yourself by performing the Ford Audio Update (which can be found online). If the module does not support USB it can only be done by a Ford dealer. If the firmware upgrade does not solve the problem the module can be considered defective. Unfortunately the Ford Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is a relative weak part. These module become defective quite often.

Don't forget to make sure you have your radio security code first though.

Thanks for the above advice guys, really appreciated. I've got a horrible feeling it could be the Nokia bluetooth device as when I disconnect the bluetooth module and then reconnect it works for about 2 days, then goes to audio muted again.

I will try resetting it by leaving the bluetooth module disconnected for 20 minutes. I dare take the positive battery off as I do not have the radio security code.

If the issue still persists then I'll have to get a new bluetooth module I reckon. The one in the car doesn't seem to have a usb port, can I buy one and fit that does? or are there specific models for each vehicle? I have attached a picture of the back of my module to this post.

post-46520-0-29132600-1378757132_thumb.j

Based on the part number (7S7T-19G488-AE) of your module it is not an Original Focus MK2/MK2.5 module. Based on Ford Ecat this module belongs to an early Mondeo MK4, early S-max/Galaxy or Transit (2006 and later). This could be a cause of your problem because these module are differently configured.

This type of module is based on the old Bluetooth/Voicecontrol system which was superseded by the new system on 08-2008. Old and new type of modules are not compatible. It also means that your Sony radio is produced before 08-2008 and does not support USB or A2DP. Newer modules with USB do not work at all with this radio.

As far as I know your radio should work fine with an Original Focus MK2 module. The part number of this module should be like 7M5T-19G488-AX (the X can be any character).

JW thanks for the above info, really appreciated. I've taken the module out for 20 minutes but the issue still persists. Any idea where I can pick up the correct module at an reasonable price? I've given eBay a look but can't seem to find the correct one.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a Ford Focus MK2 2008 and it has the same error as described above, I cant seem to find the bluetooth module? not sure where I am looking really? I have looked on the Ford Etis website and it does state for my vehicle BT/VC Interface only which i have read means I do have bluetooth capability? Can anyone help me?

Cheers

Ben

The Bluetooth/Voicecontrol module is mounted above the glovebox behind the dashboard. You have to remove the glovebox first to get access to the module.

Thanks for the reply I will remove the glove box tomorrow and hopefully fix this issue. Cheers for the advice

Hi JW1982,

I have located the bluetooth module behind the glovebox but I can't seen to disconnect the cable to see if that fixed my issue? Any tips on how to disconnect the cable? Sounds simple I know!

Cheers,

Ben

IIRC it has a sort of latch that swings over and locks it into place. You need to push in 2 little tabs on the side and then swing the lock mechanism over to get it to release.

Have successfully managed to get the plug out but now struggling to get the think reconnected again!!

I managed to successfully disconnect the bluetooth module and reconnect it but didn't fix the issue - just stocked to the 'Audio Muted' message when you press any of the phone functions. I have left it disconnected overnight to see if that works but what are my other options to get it working?

Cheers,

Ben

If resetting has no effect the only option is to replace the module.

By resetting do you mean unplug the cable and plug it back in after 20 mins or so?

Where would you recommend getting a replacement?

Cheers,

Ben

• 1 year later...

Had a similar problem with my ford mondeo. Phone came up as Audio Muted. The fix for me was to power off your phone and restart it (not just turn off but power down or totally off, like rebooting your phone). Apart from that i turned bluetooth off and on (in both car and phone), unpaired and re-paired phone and car.

I also had a NAVMAN that i thought i would pair my phone to but i found it also came up as muted so the powering down my phone worked for me. cheers all and hope this helps someone

Hi blokes, I have been following the post's about cd player's and bluetooth I have a focus 2007 Ghia , I have just removed the sony stereo (gen 1) and replaced it with a sony (gen2) because I was told I could use my phone with the gen2 (it has the buttons red&green) but when I fitted the unit and went to set my phone to it it just came up on the screen bit ...phone muted....I have taken out my glove box to reset the command box but there is not a command box (module) there, and I have had a good look in there but no box ...would it be else where? or does the focus I have 2007 ghia just not have one....there was a big block connector taped to the other wire's .....could some one out there help or give me some advice on this matter...cheers all chris....