Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Central Locking Keyfob

Hi all my Focus has central locking and is remote controlled but I have no fob, so I took it to the dealer for a price of £150 for the fob and to program it.

Question is im looking for the kinda fob where the key flips out like this system http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=1112 the thing is I know my key has a chip in it for the car to start so if I got this system would there be away around to disable that function?

Or would I be just better of getting this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Remote-Control-Central-Door-Lock-Locking-Keyless-Entry-System-UK-/290804035020?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I would be nice to have the key and fob in one but if not possible I will get the second, so any advice on this systems please

Regards

The immobiliser system is at the heart of the cars computer and can't be disabled unfortunately.

The best option is to buy a new flip key with the right key blade type and call on the services of a local auto locksmith.

They can cut the blade and programme the fob to the central locking system and immobiliser, this needs to be done with what is called an IDS interface.

I'm assuming your car is as per your avatar and therefore is a MK1 and you only have one key which is not a remote type?

If you had two original keys you could have added a flip one yourself in minutes because the MK1 has the ability to add extra keys (whereas this ability was removed from the MK2 onwards).

Btw I recommend you get this key as it's exactly what you need-

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=121118858130

Hi, The key fob your linked istwo does that come with all the parts inside? Because ive seen a fob on eBay that only cost £7 or will that just be the case? Yes mines a mk1 and it that in the photo, I have one key that has no buttons.

So ive I got the keyfob you state just get it cut then if I done the program myself with the 4turns in 3 secs or something like that to put car in learn mode will that wrk

Regards

For £7 I'd say for sure it will just be an empty case.

As you only have one key at present you will need to get the second one added by an auto locksmith. (This system was set so as to prevent hirers/fleet drivers etc from adding their own keys without authorisation).

The MK1's need two keys to unlock the programming phase to add further keys.

Once you have two programmed keys you can then add up to 8 keys yourself very easily (if you ever needed to do so).

Conversely with two original keys you can also deauthorise extra keys if need be (if they become lost or stolen).

You need to have the immobiliser chip inside the key added to the PATS II (immobiliser system on the car) via the cars data port and then the central locking code programmed via the ignition.

In all this takes about two minutes to do.

You can get the blade (on your car it is the Tibbe type) cut in some key cutters but if you are needing to get onto an auto locksmith anyway it's just as well to have them do the whole job for you.

Prices will vary so I recommend you ring around for the best quote.

One thing you need to ensure first is that your car is not the CL version, as being the base model it did not come with RCL (only LX models and above).

Hi Clive, when I took my car to the dealer they ran the plates and said yes this car would off been remote central locking, its the Zetec, it has central locking but just no remote, hence why for £10 I can buy and install a unit for it but means having a seperate fob, so if I could it be nice to sort this out an all in one remote and key, just looks nicer and cleaner than having a keyfob with a couple added extra bits

if that make sences. Hates keys with the likes of those annoying bits

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club