Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Programming

shamus1

have been in contact with previous owner and he confirmed his local garge fitted new egr valve for him,my question is is it only ford who can program it with their equipment or can other equipment be used to program it?

The important point is that if a solid plate is fitted there is no need to "programme" it

In my opinion its just another reason to fit an EGR blanking plate

On the Ford based engines, programming is not nessesary - the EGR valve can be changed without "programming" or coding

This is because there is a potentiometer fitted that reads the position of the EGR valve so the ECU "knows" the position of the valve, even when it is changed for a different one (on Euro4 Mondeo mk3 TDCIs and similar)

Its typical that you have to "faff" about with the PSA -

Sooner you fit a solid plate the better, IMO

TOOK CAR IN TO FORD TODAY AND TECH HAD A LOOK AND CONFIRMED BY CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING EGR WAS THE PROBLEM AND SAID AS BEING A NEW VALVE IS FITTED SEEMS LIKE IT HASNT BEEN PROGRAMMED AND THEY WANT £35.00 + VAT TO PROGRAM SO BEING DONE NEXT WEEK.

TOOK CAR IN TO FORD TODAY AND TECH HAD A LOOK AND CONFIRMED BY CONNECTING AND DISCONNECTING EGR WAS THE PROBLEM AND SAID AS BEING A NEW VALVE IS FITTED SEEMS LIKE IT HASNT BEEN PROGRAMMED AND THEY WANT £35.00 + VAT TO PROGRAM SO BEING DONE NEXT WEEK.

You could buy 7 EGR blanking plates for that! - and the car would run better

Someone once said it was Fords chief mechanic that recommended an EGR blanking plate

Sorry but i could never run a diesel car with the EGR unblanked/ not disabled - the idea of the inlet manifold/ valves filling up with soot would give me nightmares!

i wonder what the new EGR valve cost? - I read someone went through 4 in a row

• Like 1

I will blank it if reprogramming don't sort it out,dont really need 7 egr blanking plates .

• Haha 1

Someone once said it was Fords chief mechanic that recommended an EGR blanking plate

That's very true foca,

And that was me,

Last service in ford I had just blanked the egr 2 weeks previously and I wasn't sure if the XML light was going to pop up as result,

So I mentioned to him I had blanked the egr and if an Emil popped up for egr don't waste time investigating because its blanked.

He said best thing you could do on a modern diesel is blank the egr.

The same guy tried to rob me of a further 150 the following week when fitting eibachs

• 2 weeks later...

been into ford today had egr programmed and its lovely much better car,there was a software update for the egr but they couldn't do it as they said there link to ford servers or whatever they meant was not working,dont know what this update is about as I thought if you can here the egr working when you switch car off it had the latest update?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

just a follow up to this,took car in to fords for update and I thought if you could here the egr cycling after you turn engine off that was the latest software update,but apparently not a new one was released for drivability problems as mine had with a new egr fitted,just thought I would let people know incase they change their egr and program it in and still it don't run right could need a update.

• Like 1

just a follow up to this,took car in to fords for update and I thought if you could here the egr cycling after you turn engine off that was the latest software update,but apparently not a new one was released for drivability problems as mine had with a new egr fitted,just thought I would let people know incase they change their egr and program it in and still it don't run right could need a update.

A working EGR is liable to cause flat spots and hesitation, ("drivability problems") even when the car is brand new and the EGR is "perfectly" set up - this is because engines run better on clean, cool oxegen- rich air than on burnt exhaust gasses, of couse, once the inlet is full of carbon/ muck it gets even worse

A diesel engine will always run better with the EGR blanked (solid plate) or disabled

• Like 1

funny that I blanked mine before software update and removed it just before update and it runs better with it unblanked with the new update?

• Like 1

anyone out there with the 2 litre tdci blanked and keep getting the mil light on?

Yes... Me.

Sorry I'm late!

• 6 years later...

You have to program the EGR valve or the valve wont know it's position.

- Ford mechanic 2020