Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Software (Ecu) Updates And Do I Need It?

exponential

Hi guys.

Back again with more questions! LOL

Ive been reading a couple of reports stating that you should check with your dealer for any software updates yearly as you could be missing out on a potentially vital system stability update or improved MPG.....

Is there any truth to this and if so, how do I find out and how much will it cost??

Wouls ETIS tell me??

Mike.

Whenever I have mentioned it to my dealer, they do not want to update any software unless it is a mandatory recall or there is a problem that need fixing.

If it ain't broke don't fix it basically.

Yeah, very true!

I usually do believe in that philosophy in that you don't fix something that aint broke!!

I just always feel like im missing out on something (like a big kid)! LOL

Until this Year my car had still the software which was loaded at the factory (2004 software). I did not had any problems but decided to upgrade the software to a newer version.

With the ELMconfig software and a (modified) ELM327 interface I have the ability to update the PCM software myself. For my type of enginge (Focus MK2 1.6 Duratec 100 BHP) there were over 20 different firmware versions available (all 1.6 firmware of Focus MK2/MK2.5 is interchangeable). I loaded the latest available firmware and noticed a few things:

* The engine runs a lot smoother

* When idling the engine is a bit quiter and more stable.

* Fuel economy is a bit better.

Strictly it is not needed to update the software when there are no problems. In most cases the car will run fine with the old software. Nevertheless in my opinion a firmware upgrade can bring some improvements which will affect the driveability in a positive way.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

can you actually take a snapshot of the existing software on there? I wouldnt mind giving this a crack on my motor (granted its a CMAX and may not actually have any new releases! lol) but I would always want the ability to go straight back to where I was if something goes wrong!

I'd of thought that Ford are able to load older versions of software if need be, not sure about snapshot functionality though.

I actually went in to see my Dealer today as I have found my car a bit unpredictable with its power. At the weekend it left me limping across a busy A road as I tried to jump into a gap at a junction, not good! Oddly my car can sometimes go overboard on power too, and as you change gear or lift off a bit the the car lurches you forward, feels like the engine is going to come off its mount.

I mentioned about the TCB notice on ford ETIS for the PCM module of my car, so they are going to look at it next week and see if it is worth doing. Also said to them about any audio updates as my usb likes to randomly stop functioning too. Might mention the steering as well, see if there is a software update to reduce the deadspots.

Got the latest sat nav update on order too, so at this rate it is going to be all up to date.

I can understand Ford's reluctance to update though, if they do it and it makes the car worse we will blame them and get them to fix it, which is more man hours they have to spend under warranty for something which wasn't broken in the first place.

About having ECU updates yearly I haven't heard this but the only update I had was when I had a recall for a cooling fan wiring replacement otherwise runs fine.

Had my car in today and dealer said they have reprogrammed some modules. I.e. software update.

Car feels a lot smoother now, gear changes are even slicker (didn't think that was possible).

Haven't had the chance to take it on a longer run yet, but will be this weekend, so well see if it does any pull away weirdness.

• Like 2

Had my car in today and dealer said they have reprogrammed some modules. I.e. software update.Car feels a lot smoother now, gear changes are even slicker (didn't think that was possible).Haven't had the chance to take it on a longer run yet, but will be this weekend, so well see if it does any pull away weirdness.

How much does it cost to go to a dealers for them to check for updates??

normally the diagnostics fee, so £60 plus VAT onwards...

normally the diagnostics fee, so £60 plus VAT onwards...

Hmmmm. Doubt it's worth it then eh.

Car is running fine (except DPF) and thats going soon so will prob just leave it.

• 6 years later...
On 9/8/2013 at 2:11 PM, JW1982 said:

Until this Year my car had still the software which was loaded at the factory (2004 software). I did not had any problems but decided to upgrade the software to a newer version.

With the ELMconfig software and a (modified) ELM327 interface I have the ability to update the PCM software myself. For my type of enginge (Focus MK2 1.6 Duratec 100 BHP) there were over 20 different firmware versions available (all 1.6 firmware of Focus MK2/MK2.5 is interchangeable). I loaded the latest available firmware and noticed a few things:

* The engine runs a lot smoother

* When idling the engine is a bit quiter and more stable.

* Fuel economy is a bit better.

Strictly it is not needed to update the software when there are no problems. In most cases the car will run fine with the old software. Nevertheless in my opinion a firmware upgrade can bring some improvements which will affect the driveability in a positive way.

Where do you get new updates from? Thanks 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club