Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Blocking Gone Wrong?

neps

I followed Lennys guide http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

The 1.6 tdci 90bhp in the fiesta doesnt look the same, but i managed to loosen the two long bolts that holds the egr house to the block.

Sliding the blocking plate in the gap between the block and egr hous was a real PITA, as you cant see the gap, only feel it. And there is not enough room for the blocking plate to slide paralell into the gap, you must wedge it into place.

Well, job was done, took it for a spin. Wow what a difference, to the WORSE!!!

The engine now sounds like its working much harder, and it felts like Im driving with 5adults in the car, its allot slower than it user to be.

I opened it up again, and placed my hand around the egr whilst the engine was running, couldnt feel any laks, my boost gauge still shows 30psi at full throttle, so no boost leaks.

Any ideas?

I followed Lennys guide http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/42915-guide-fitting-egr-blanking-plate-16tdci-engine/

The 1.6 tdci 90bhp in the fiesta doesnt look the same, but i managed to loosen the two long bolts that holds the egr house to the block.

Sliding the blocking plate in the gap between the block and egr hous was a real PITA, as you cant see the gap, only feel it. And there is not enough room for the blocking plate to slide paralell into the gap, you must wedge it into place.

Well, job was done, took it for a spin. Wow what a difference, to the WORSE!!!

The engine now sounds like its working much harder, and it felts like Im driving with 5adults in the car, its allot slower than it user to be.

I opened it up again, and placed my hand around the egr whilst the engine was running, couldnt feel any laks, my boost gauge still shows 30psi at full throttle, so no boost leaks.

Any ideas?

Hi mate,

It has been documented that the fiesta is more difficult to do due to the fuel filter bracket,

I must say your are the first to be experiencing negative results,

The engine may be louder due to increased pressure going down the manifold instead of circulating through the system,

Your spool time will be less now due to increased flow,

Now for my opinion,

I think your dpf could be slightly blocked resulting in loss of power due to restriction of the new faster flow of gases exiting through it,

I think if you give it a week or two, the higher pressure of gasses will blow it through.

Also blanking the egr puts more demand on your induction,

So check your air filter housing for leaves and bugs,

The 20% gasses the egr supplied is now replaced with 20% more atmospheric air taken through your induction filter.

Hey, thanks for replying.

Actually, the bracket for the fuelfilter is not in the way, its the bracket that supports the wiring harness for the injectors that are in the way, that bracket most come off, i dont think you can do this job with that bracket in place :)

I had tossed a blanket over the battery and used that to sit on. Took some pictures, will upload later when Im on the pc.

Im also a bit worried that I may have installed the blanking plate the wrong way, since the plate is angular and not symetrical it can only fit one way right?

The inlet side should be ok. The air filter looks like new. The dpf could be blocked, i dont know. I drive 100km a day, so it should regen quite often?

• Like 1

Hi mate,

It has been documented that the fiesta is more difficult to do due to the fuel filter bracket,

I must say your are the first to be experiencing negative results,

The engine may be louder due to increased pressure going down the manifold instead of circulating through the system,

Your spool time will be less now due to increased flow,

Now for my opinion,

I think your dpf could be slightly blocked resulting in loss of power due to restriction of the new faster flow of gases exiting through it,

I think if you give it a week or two, the higher pressure of gasses will blow it through.

Also blanking the egr puts more demand on your induction,

So check your air filter housing for leaves and bugs,

The 20% gasses the egr supplied is now replaced with 20% more atmospheric air taken through your induction filter.

My focus has the same fuel bracket, its the engines with the square fuel filter that have this clearance problem, I tried without removing but you cant get it in, but once you lift filter out of bracket and leave to the side you then remove bracket completly to get the required space to insert the blank, I would recheck that the valve has re-seated flush as you say you wedged it in, and this might have stopped the valve re-seating fully.

this is the said bracket that causes the problem

008_zps221880f8.jpg

this is the way i fitted my blank

006_zpsc1000b7b.jpg

• Like 1

Thats not the same bracket as i have, and i have a circular fuel filter, not square :)

But from your picture i installed the plate the same way as you, only that you have arrows point to the top, mine had the two bolts side by side, so in my case the arrows would be pointing to the front front of the engine (away from the fuelfilter)

• Like 1

Mine was bolts one above the other but offset so different, sorry.

003_zps91e82f44.jpg

• Like 1

hmm, ok this is the bolt i could reach easily, i guess its the same on your picture. the one on the opposite side was allot harder.

post-41289-0-04873200-1378662180_thumb.j

I used a quarter inch drive ratchet a 1" extension and a 10mm socket and the bolts were not hard to get at, getting the plate in was lol. the arrows would point at say 10-11 oclock when plate fitted I only put the arrows on because as you say the plate is not symmetrical and once getting it down there didnt want to start second guessing which way, i dont know fore certain this is the correct way but at looking at the egr vale this is the way I decided to fit it and it works. :)

Drove 100km today to work and back, seems a lite better now, but not as it was before.

It also seems like the idle is higher/stronger.

If I go off the throttle pedal in 1st and 2nd gear it now puls forward on just idle, where it would stutter and stall before.

Your dpf won't be the problem as I'm fairly sure the 90ps version doesn't have one so airflow would be my guess try fitting a sports panel filter

I have a dpf on my 90bhp.

I can see it physically, and I have the dpf light in the cluster.

But will replace the air filter today just to be sure.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club