Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Do I Remove A Radiator?

BigD

OK, so it's basically, bottom hose off, fluid out, other hoses off, d/c fan power, remove two mounting brackets...

...but I'm reading that the cooling radiator is somehow attached to the aircon radiator - is this correct? At what point (and how) do I detach them?

Mk 3.5 (late 2005) 55-plate TDCi 130, 6spd.

the aircon radiator is fixed onto the main radiator at 4 points (the corners) the aircon radiator needs to be supported (with straps etc) because it is attached to the main radiator and that what holds it on the car

Off the top of my head (my Haynes manual is in the car) 2 of the fixings are little (10mm headed) nuts, and the other 2 just pull out - they have a tendency to sieze

If you take the grille off it may help you to see how the aircon radiator attaches to the main radiator

As the main radiator drops vertically out of the bottom the car has to be high up (eg on ramps) to come out - i don't know if it could be pulled out of the top

Thanks - I did look in the Haynes manual but it wasn't very clear. Something which has puzzled me slightly, was that it says to remove a hose which carries oil (and to put a container under it). Why would there be an oil feed to the radiator??

There was no corresponding picture for this comment, so I have no idea what it's talking about.

[edit] I'll be doing this on ramps!

Thanks - I did look in the Haynes manual but it wasn't very clear. Something which has puzzled me slightly, was that it says to remove a hose which carries oil (and to put a container under it). Why would there be an oil feed to the radiator??

There was no corresponding picture for this comment, so I have no idea what it's talking about.

[edit] I'll be doing this on ramps!

I know the haynes manuals are not as good as they used to be (or is it cars are more complicated?) nope, they are definately not as good

There is a water-cooled oil cooler with its own thermostat,- the thermostat is on the waterpump, it comes out of the thermostat, through the oil cooler,(its a big square block under the pump) then back to the radiator, (small diameter black rubber hose, low down on the right-hand side, when standing, looking into the engine bay ) only water flows through it, the oil stays in the oil cooler

Tip -

When you refit the radiator, you need to get the engine hot enough for both thermostats open (the main thermostat and the oil cooler thermostat) to properly bleed the system- the water level can drop when the thermostat/s open - its hard to get the temp up in these cars, i fill it with the required amount/ concentration of anti-freeze, then take a couple of litres of distilled water with me, go on a hard, uphill run, keeping an eye on the temp gauge, if i get it over 1/2 way i check the expansion tank and top it up, i check the radiator hoses and the "oil cooler" hose to make sure they are hot - and top up if nessesary - if the "oil cooler" hose is cool the oil cooler thermostat has not opened yet - it takes some warming up!

I got mine to open by just keeping engine at 2500revs til it opened up. Rev the !Removed! outta it lol

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club