Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bumper Respray Vs Touchup

stevetuk

I managed to drive into a high kerb at a parking bay and have a smallintermittent scratch running along the very bottom of the front bumperof my MK2.5 focus. Took it in for a look and was told the existing paint job on the bumper was terrible (and I confirmed), covered with pit marks and grit so obviously done in a rush and not left to dry.
Apparently some overspray as well but I couldn't see it. Was quoted £300 for a complete prep and respray for the bumper.

Or, I could touch up the scratch myself.

I'm not fussy but the idea has been to keep it as pristine as possible for resale. Any thoughts on what's best? Touch up or complete respray? Would a buyer inc. dealer/garage even know if it was a poor job to begin with?

If I had the bumper resprayed wouldn't the rest of the paintwork then look different/worse in comparison?

Think it come's down to how visable the scratches are and how much it bothers you , they should be able to paint match on a re-spray , but you might be able to get better quotes or reduced quotes if you prep it yourself.Or if it's not that bad then touch up.

A dealer won't go over your car with a fine tooth comb , a private buyer probably would.

• 3 weeks later...

If they are small and that far out the way, you could always repair it yourself, but not with a touch up kit.

You could buy spray paint and primter, sand it down, apply primer, then layer the spray p[aint. Its not perfect, but it gives a better appearance than a touch up pen, and doesn't cost a fortune like a respray, its an equal platter.I

am hoping to do this myself on a small rusted spot on the corner of the bonnet.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club