Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cree Q5 501 Mot Safe?

Emzzy

Hi guys,

Got my First Mot coming up next week and wanted to make sure evrything is Kosher, I Have the Cree 501 as my sidelights will these be ok or will I need to change before I go to the Test centre???

Cheers

I'd put the originals back in before the test, awhile ago in my old car they removed them and put normal 501 bulbs in for the test

It would be wise to change them to regular 501 bulbs. Part of the MOT test is checking that lights and bulbs are E marked... the E mark is located normally on the lens of the headlight and it is also found on the bulb. LED Bulbs cannot be E marked, only an entire LED unit can be E marked. However in the real world MOT tester do not remove bulbs and check for E marks.

That does not mean they won't check yours, the "white" LED light colour will stand out from the yellowish colour of regular 501 bulbs

• 2 weeks later...

They are not allowed to remove parts in order to check them, therefore they cannot take your bulbs out, just to check they are correct. In fact, they can only do this if you have approved them to do the work. Otherwise, they can only fail your vehicle and do nothing further without consent.

As James says, the tester cannot remove parts so will not be able to check if the bulbs are E marked. That is why lots of people get advisorys about engine covers or splash guards being in the way, as they arent allowed to be removed to check behind them.

If they were allowed to check, mine would have failed on sidelights, brake indicator, reverse and number plate lights for the last 3 years :lol:

our "upgrades" can often be an MOT failure. LED Bulbs (a lot) are not E Marked, mainly as they are not mainstream enough to be tested and regulated, and rather than test them, these bulbs are just not put through their paces, and most dont put the effort in to test and mark for legal road use, often these bulbs put out at least the same amount of light, if not more than sufficient. They are clear and easily identifiable to represent the bulb they have replaced. It's just the red tape thats the problem.

If they cant check for e marks does this mean i'll get away with osram cool blue hypers?

should do, as long as the light is beamed correctly with levelling, then you should be fine.

Thanks for all the answers chaps, I left them in and past the MOT no advisory yay!!!!

You wont het away with the cool blue hypers the bulbs must not show a colour change white is fine blue/white is a fail

i dont think they actually look blue at all, just look a clean white. cant even see the blue tint to the bulbs cause they hidden away behind projector lenses

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club