Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High level brake light bulb replacement

Gareth1

The warning on the dash display came on today and sure enough the high level brake bulb isn't illuminated.

Page 70 of the driver's manual attempts to give instructions on removing trim to get to the bulb, but I just can't work it out from the instructions or pictures.

Any help please?

The warning on the dash display came on today and sure enough the high level brake bulb isn't illuminated.

Page 70 of the driver's manual attempts to give instructions on removing trim to get to the bulb, but I just can't work it out from the instructions or pictures.

Any help please?

Hi Gareth,

it is pretty straight forward, I have see one being changed. You just need to remove the the trim pushing it towards the window inside the open tail door, then use small flat screwdriver to release two plastic clips one each side it is not evident and clips break easily.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Gareth,

it is pretty straight forward, I have see one being changed. You just need to remove the the trim pushing it towards the window inside the open tail door, then use small flat screwdriver to release two plastic clips one each side it is not evident and clips break easily.

HTH

Thanks - in the end I chickened out and took it to the local dealer, and watched them struggle with trim, fiddly clips and taking the bulb housing off from the outside too. Guess it's easier when it's not your car - you're probably less wary of snapping a piece of plastic trim. What's wrong with a couple of screws holding the part in place? Anway, fair play to the garage; their service manager came out, swapped the bulb for me and only charged me the £1.60 for the bulb.

• 6 years later...

Instruction manual gives basic instruction to start but leaves a lot of essentials out. Trim panel removal is difficult, you pull out firmly and up towards the window with the tailgate raised to free the pastic clip lugs that hold it in place, you can do this in sections starting one one side. The most tricky is the side lugs, I broke one, then could see better on the other side, fortunately the trim panel fitted snuggly when I replaced it even with one broken lug. Then removing the lamp unit requires pressing both sides of each of the metal retaining clip, the only way I found of doing this was pressing in the furthest away clip with my finger while pressing a flat srewdriver up the front of the clip and when both pressed in together easing the lamp holder outward so it pops out of the outside of the exterior housing. Do this with each of the 2 clips and then close tailgate to pull out the freed lamp holder. Release the bulb holder clip replace the bulb then make sure the bulb holding clip snaps back into place before firmly pushing the whole lamp unit back into its place re-engaging the metal clips. All relatively quick when you know how about 10 minutes. First time took an hour reading up and fathoming out. Hope my desription reduces the time for you!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club