Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Usb Charging Of Unrecognised Devices

Rontok

Do power only USB cables solve the problem of unrecognised devices not being charged? I have a couple of devices which fall into that category strangely the charge LED on the device lights up, but they don't seem to receive any actual power and run completely flat.

I can't use the 12V power socket as I have a semi permanent extension to a hidden 12V socket in the draw with the OBDII port in it which I plug the short lead of a Brodit active holder into.

The usb if that's what your talking about is limited to about 500 milli amps so if your device draws more than that then you will find it won't charge.

I found this out when running a usb HDD

One of the devices is a bluetooth GPS receiver which would never draw more than 500mA. I wouldn't normally plug it in, but the battery is 5 years old and it started to die an hour from home. The orange charge light came on, but soon all the lights went out. It's never done that on anything else.

That was when I realised the faux charging wasn't limited to the other device a HTC Touch Pro 2 which should be fine on 500mA.

EDIT: I found enough bits and bobs to make a cable for testing early signs are that some charging is now occurring. A bit more testing and I'll buy something a bit neater like a CDL-02POWER

EDIT 2: Decided against the CDL-02POWER it looks a bit cheap and nasty so ordered a Lindy branded 0.15m one instead.

Tested this on a drive today and it definitely works as soon as I plug in the HTC Touch Pro 2 the backlight goes to maximum just as it does on an AC charger.

Even with the screen always on at full beans it either maintains its charge level or gains a small percent :)

• 5 years later...

so are the 2 usb ports in my center console of my 2014 fiesta made or able to charge my  android smartphone