Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Wont Start

bulkybob

hi everyone I bought a 1999 galaxy 2.3 petrol auto (privately) 2 days ago (sold as seen) I've done approx. 40 miles then last night I parked it up for the night then this morning I got in and it wouldn't tart it didn't even turn over or click or anything so I checked the battery (which according to my battery booster) was flat so I took the battery off charged it up to max then tried again but once again turned the key but not even a click ? does anyone have any ideas please :(

Sounds like a dodgy battery, or at least a problem with the supply of current from the battery to the starter.

Your best bet might be to connect your battery via jump leads to a known good battery (possibly a friend's car). If it starts, you know the problem is either your battery or a loose connection on one or both of your battery terminals.

Good luck!

Sounds like a dodgy battery, or at least a problem with the supply of current from the battery to the starter.

Your best bet might be to connect your battery via jump leads to a known good battery (possibly a friend's car). If it starts, you know the problem is either your battery or a loose connection on one or both of your battery terminals.

Good luck!

thanks for the reply but I've tried that I even took the battery off and charged it up but still when I turn the key nothing ? not even a click just what sounds like a whirring sound from the dash like the electronics are getting ready before the car starts if you know what I mean (when the key gets to the first position) but when I turn the key completely not even a click ??

Assuming the battery and its connections are fine (including the connection between you battery's earth terminal and its earthing point on the vehicle), we need to look elsewhere for the problem.

To my mind, the fault therefore lies either in your starter or in the electrical connections between it and your battery.

Your car is an automatic, are you sure it's in Park or Neutral when you're trying to start it? It won't start otherwise.

Assuming your gear selector is in a starting position, it might be your ignition switch or your starter that's faulty. Test this by getting a friend to help: one of you turns the key to the 'start' position while the other uses a multimeter to check the current at the starter. The power wire is the smaller wire leading to the starter. Use the meter to check between its contact point on the starter and any earth point on the vehicle. As soon as your key is turned to the start position, you should get a reading on the meter. If so, the problem is your starter. If not, the problem looks like your ignition switch or an associated connection.

Assuming the battery and its connections are fine (including the connection between you battery's earth terminal and its earthing point on the vehicle), we need to look elsewhere for the problem.

To my mind, the fault therefore lies either in your starter or in the electrical connections between it and your battery.

Your car is an automatic, are you sure it's in Park or Neutral when you're trying to start it? It won't start otherwise.

Assuming your gear selector is in a starting position, it might be your ignition switch or your starter that's faulty. Test this by getting a friend to help: one of you turns the key to the 'start' position while the other uses a multimeter to check the current at the starter. The power wire is the smaller wire leading to the starter. Use the meter to check between its contact point on the starter and any earth point on the vehicle. As soon as your key is turned to the start position, you should get a reading on the meter. If so, the problem is your starter. If not, the problem looks like your ignition switch or an associated connection.

thanks again for your reply I will have to try and find someone with a multimeter also I just remembered that when I bought the car it came with 2 keys one with the buttons to remotely lock/unlock the car and the other just a plain key and the guy told me that I have to open the car with the remote key and use the plain key to start it as the remote key wont start the car (I thought it was strange) he said it's been like that since he's had the car I thought the plain key was a spare ? do you think that has any bearing on the problem at all ?

As an anti-theft device, some key fobs contain a transmitter that communicates with the car, allowing the starter to respond to the key. If the key has been damaged, that transmitter can stop working and your key will unlock the doors but won't start the car.

The fact that the remote key won't start it suggests that the car needs a code signal from that key before it will start. It's strange therefore that the car responds (or at least has responded) to a plain key which obviously can't be transmitting any signal.

It might be worth giving the previous owner a ring to ask his advice. The car was 'sold as seen' but he should still be willing to give any advice he thinks might help.

yes I thought that so I gave him a call and he said the owner before him told him to use the plain key to start it so he doesn't know why but he's never had a problem with it not starting ?

thanks very much everyone sorted now it was a lead to the starter motor had become unplugged LOL I just plugged it in and it started thanks again rob

the reason why your remote key does not start your car is,because it either isnt programed to the pats system or when the previous owners have replaced the batteries they have lost the black pats chip which is stored in the side of the key.

without a 2nd working key you will not be able to program a new key to your pats system.

have a looksie at these forums,

fordmpv.com

fordgalaxy.org.co.uk

• 7 years later...

Hi Gregers, 

I am having the same problem with my 2001 Zetec Galaxy (auto). New battery, new starter motor. Just won’t start🤷🏼‍♀️Any advice would be so appreciated