Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk 2.5 Idle Speed And Cut Out Issues.

atherm3

Hi all

Looking for advice on an issue I'm facing with my 10 plate petrol focus. My partner reported to me that the car was cutting out when approaching junctions and cornering however this hadn't happened to me, after a bit of covert observations I determined that she takes said corners with the clutch pressed and not in gear, I do not as a general rule of thumb. After a while I managed to replicate it and became more aware of the idle speeds dipping when sat on the drive or at junctions. Its since been through an MOT and had an intermediate service. So my question is, short of taking it in for diagnostics (not priced up yet) or re teaching my partner how to drive (she swears she was taught that way and passed?) What action can I take to resolve it?

I have recorded a 30 second video that I can upload to YouTube and link here if needed

Please upload your link, but my Ford Focus 1.8 ltr Petrol did this, sometimes it would cut out sometimes not, as I recall it was down to the cluster, I was advised to cleaned with Lube oil or/and re-solder the mother board. mine seems to be ok recently. I am sure others will better help you than I have.

It sounds like the Idle Control Valve may be sticking or faulty. Ford refer to this as the Air Idle Valve. It is relatively cheap to replace but I would check that all the vacuum and air hoses are fitted correctly first and that there are no splits allowing air into the intake system.

from that video it sounds like its meant to the idle is ecu controlled so no idle control valve and the ecu determines this on various factors engine temp outside temp etc etc to reduce idle emissions the engine effectively reduces the idle speed constantly to get the lowest emissions do the dash trick go to rpm and watch it if its 750 or above theres noithing wrong woith the car its just the mrs driving im afraid and driving the way she does means shes not in control of the car driving that way so god knows who passed her no offence mate not trying to be rude i think the issue is the mrs driving not the engine

Aye no offence taken, her argument to that is (despite not driving safely really) the car shouldn't cut out at all, and it's quite difficult to really go against that notion as it doesn't have stop/start technology and it's not a feature of the car. I think I'll get it in for diagnostic tests. Thanks all,

no it shouldnt cut out however the speed sensor and throttle sensor will realise the car is cornering and not in gear it may be cutting the fuel as it thinks something is wrong

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club