Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2013 - Ignition Feed Without Splicing Existing Wires

a18041967

I'm trying to find a location or way to permanently wire my sat nav into my 2013 Focus Zetec 1.6 Tdi, initially I thought I could connect to the cigar lighter but this appears to be a permanent 12v feed, I need a feed that's linked to the ignition.

Can any one recommend alternative locations, I do not want to splice the existing wiring loom, I'm happy to make suitable connecting wires.

Thanks

• Like 1

I'm trying to find a location or way to permanently wire my sat nav into my 2013 Focus Zetec 1.6 Tdi, initially I thought I could connect to the cigar lighter but this appears to be a permanent 12v feed, I need a feed that's linked to the ignition.

Can any one recommend alternative locations, I do not want to splice the existing wiring loom, I'm happy to make suitable connecting wires.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Duncan,

You could purchase a "piggy back fuse adaptor" which would plug in to the interior fuse board and share power from an ignition feed,

Giving you a dedicated positive feed to run to your sat Nav,

I recommend fitting a stand alone 12v socket to the other end,

This way if you upgrade sat Nav in future you can simply unplug charger, and fit the replacement,

All excess cable can be stored inside the dash out of sight.

When I say stand alone,

I mean one that has a surrounding cone shaped housing, designed to stand alone

Alteratively

The mk2.5 focus had an option with the stock 12v sockets,

As standard they stayed live for 1 hour after engine stopped,

But if you took the fuse out and put it in to the fuse socket next to it,

This resulted in the 12v sockets only being active when the ignition was live,

I'm not sure if the mk3 has this option but it was a good one.

Also for all automotive electrical supplys,

I highly recommend you see Dave at AutoStar electronics on eBay,

He will recommend you the correct amp cable to suit your application aswell as supply the "stand alone" 12v socket, and piggy back fuse adaptor,

Here's a link to his shop: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/autostarshop

• Like 1

Leonard,

Thanks for your detailed reply, its been a very long time ( +15 years ) since I've had to do this sort of thing and didn't know that fuse taps existed and they look ideal. So I have a mini fuse tap on order and will do exactly what you suggest and create an additional cigar socket that I'll use for the sat nav. I checked the fuse box and there a number of empty slots due to my vehicle not having all the features, will these empty socket have connectors that will enable me to use one or are they just empty.

Any suggestions as to the best fuse to use would be helpful.

One thing that I was thinking about is the tomtom mount that Ford now supply, for this to work there must be a way to wire this into the existing wiring loom, see this

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20111010005942/en/TomTom-Partners-Ford-Offering-Semi-Integrated-Navigation-Europe

• Like 1

Leonard,

Thanks for your detailed reply, its been a very long time ( +15 years ) since I've had to do this sort of thing and didn't know that fuse taps existed and they look ideal. So I have a mini fuse tap on order and will do exactly what you suggest and create an additional cigar socket that I'll use for the sat nav. I checked the fuse box and there a number of empty slots due to my vehicle not having all the features, will these empty socket have connectors that will enable me to use one or are they just empty.

Any suggestions as to the best fuse to use would be helpful.

One thing that I was thinking about is the TomTom mount that Ford now supply, for this to work there must be a way to wire this into the existing wiring loom, see this

. Hi Duncan,

No problem at all mate, I'm always happy to help on here,

The 12v socket I initially had in mind was this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Continental-DIN-HELLA-12V-24V-15amp-Power-Socket-IL-/170494770602?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b247bdaa

However,

It would end up a bit costly having to purchase 20amp cable and spade connectors aswell as the socket,

So I've found this kit instead,

Supplied with fuse and everything you need to use it on your piggy back adaptor, and works out everything for under 20 pounds,

If you haven't yet purchased the piggy back fuse,

You can get group discount when purchasing along with the 12v socket kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Marine-Waterproof-Accessory-Cigarette-Power-Socket-KIT-1-5m-Loom-L-Mount-C-/181022984642?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a25cf89c2

To answer your question about the fuse,

I reckon a 15amp or 20 amp would be sufficient,

I'd try 15amp first though,

If it doesn't blow then keep it 15 no need to go 20amp

Regarding the tomtom ford mount, It looks very impressive,

If they are not too expensive I'd consider purchasing one if I was you,

I like things to be integrated too, I don't like having wires visible,

I've done a Google search for "ford tomtom cradle fitting guide"

Found nothing, so I searched again, but this time in images,

I found an image of a cradle which has bare end cables,

So I'm guessing ford splice it in to the neighbouring ignition column itself, if this image is of the searched ford tomtom cradle,

]tomtomrider-380-80_zps2e2338f4.jpg

However,

Its not unusual for ford to fit extra 20amp live 12v power supplys around there vehicles,

There usually orange or black in colour,

Heavy cables with a female spade connection crimped on the top,

Look something like this:

Image14485.jpg

Image1471.jpg

I've found two in the Mk2.5 focus,

One in the boot and one in the centre console,

Both are genuinely for use of 12v sockets and power is already in them,

Ford only use the boot supply on the ST and RS model to power the tyre compressor because they don't carry spare wheels.

But the supply is fitted to all chassis as ford fit all interior looms the same across the range, then fit extras to specific models off the production lines.

The point I'm getting to is:

I wouldn't be surprised if ford have an ignition live 12v feed already fitted somewhere close to the drivers side A-pillar to allow the specific ford TomTom cradle to connect in to.

Three ways to find out,

Easiest one first:

If your local ford parts & service desk are helpful they can look on ecat ( there parts software)

And print you a CAD image of the mk3 focus showing all 12v socket points in the vehicle,

This way you can find out if there's a dormant 12v supply available.

Second option:

Purchase the specific ford TomTom cradle which will come supplied from ford with illustrated fitting instructions, showing you exactly how to fit yourself. So you will have results with ease

Third option,

Removed some panels and try locate the socket,

Not really an option I'd recommend but is a valid option.

Finally regarding the empty fuse ports on the board,

It is unlikely there will be power leading to the empty ports because the electronics are controlled by the GEM,

But I reckon there should be an empty fuse socket close to the one for your existing 12v sockets that will have an ignition live feed in it.

Hope this helps mate,

And I'm open to further discussion if required.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Has this been solved yet?

I'm trying to find a 12v ignition feed in my 2011 Mk3 Focus Titanium! But every fuse I have tested seems to be a permanent feed!

I need a feed near to the glove box and one at the rear Ideally!

Regards

Charles

Fuse 85 in the passenger foot well fuse panel. Its the only true Ignition fed supply on the whole board

All the 12v sockets etc are can bus controlled and turn off when the puter decides not when the engine is off

I run my cameras, monitors etc off this using a piggyback fuse tap, its a mini fuse

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs them, I suggest the use of "PosiTap" they are slightly more expensive (around £1 each) but they are fantastic. It allows you to tap into a wire with little more than a needlemark damage. When removed they can be taped up to keep the cable clean and you never know what has happened :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club