Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whistling Noise

BikerMark

2 weeks ago I noticed a whistling noise coming from the engine of my 05 1.8tdci focus, mechanic looked at it an said it was the turbo, I got a used turbo from an 06 focus with 37000 miles on the clock, the replacement turbo is now fitted and the car is still whistling, the mechanic said the whistling was definitely the old turbo, I haven't paid the mechanic yet, I just hope that I haven't shelled out £200 for a turbo that I didn't need, and he still needs paid, has anyone else ever had this problem or know what it might be that is causing the whistling?

Thanks Mark

Really? The reason I ask is, an autospark works with the mechanic and he surely would've picked up on that?

Just saying as this was my problem..... I thought was turbo, ie the more u rev the higher n louder it went. . Didn't have a batt light on at first, it came on after a week or so...

When taking off the car would rev at the same level for a couple of seconds. Then it would rev faster as if you hit a boost button. Does this make sense?

i'd check all your boost pipes and also get the car serviced. a clogged fuel filter can make a huge difference. the whistling, does it get louder as you get faster.

if I was you I would remove alternator belt and start car and rev it to see if whistle has gone?

I had this on my old tdci mondeo new turbo fitted and still whistled every thing was checked and I mean everything and never got to the bottom of it,but running it with belt removed was one of the tests to rule out bottom pulley, alternator,tensioner ,idler rollers etc...

Mechanic took the belt off said the car was still whistling, he said it might be a boost leak. I don't know if he knows what he's doin, it could be this it could be that? Not lookin forward to the bill.

physically remove boost pipes to check for split,also a trick to try to look for a leak is get a bottle with a spray squirty nozzle on it put a dose of washing up liquid in it and top it up with water,start car up and get someone to rev it while you spray all boost pipes and intercooler with solution,if leak is present you will see it blowing bubbles.also a cat convertor can whistle if it has broken up all things a garage should of checked.

Got the problem sorted, turns out a gasket had moved slightly when a nut was tightened, causing a small opening, which in turn caused the whistling, turbo is now properly sealed and that annoying whistling is now gone. Thankyou everone for all the replies.

Congrats on ur find dude...... glad it's sorted.... sweet driving from now on lol

Got the problem sorted, turns out a gasket had moved slightly when a nut was tightened, causing a small opening, which in turn caused the whistling, turbo is now properly sealed and that annoying whistling is now gone. Thankyou everone for all the replies.

Glad you got it sorted - ive got the same problem as ive sheared one of the bolts that fix on the EGR cooler - no rush to fix it and i quite like the noise it makes anyway - got to fix it sometime as it increases lag

Can't beat a bit of turbo whistle! Sad I know, but I sometimes turn off the stereo, wind the windows down, and just enjoy the noise!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Do not pay him yet until the whistle has completely gone

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club