Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo Mk4 1.8 Diesel 07 Reg Engine Power Loss

mondeo lover

Hi everyone again,

Today my mondeo developed a strange power loss.

Engine revs up to 4000 / 5000 even above easily when gears are not engaged and also in first and second gear when driving.

But the problems starts in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear when i push the accelerator pedal to floor to overtake it seems to cut the power out around 2500/3000 rpm and engine starts feel like its going to stall but slightly get better on power if I let the pedal back up a bit. Funnily its doing this 4 out of 5 times not all the time. No warning lights.

Can anyone tell me what could cause this? I dont think its the turbo as its not smoking on high rev.

Thanks for any reply.

Hi everyone again,

Engine revs up to 4000 / 5000 even above easily when gears are not engaged and also in first and second gear when driving.

But the problems starts in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th gear when i push the accelerator pedal to floor to overtake it seems to cut the power out around 2500/3000 rpm and engine starts feel like its going to stall but slightly get better on power if I let the pedal back up a bit. Funnily its doing this 4 out of 5 times not all the time. No warning lights.

Can anyone tell me what could cause this? I dont think its the turbo as its not smoking on high rev.

Thanks for any reply.

When the gears are not engaged there is no load on the engine, in the lower gears there is less load / in the higher gears there is more load - the higher the gear the higher the load also, uphill the load increases, downhill, it decreases, if there is more weight in the car the load increases, less, it decreases

So its normal that the engine revs more when in neutral and in the lower gears - peak power is at 3664rpm, so no point in revving it past this point

It may be a general lack of power/ torque causing this to be more noticable, a good service could sort it out or there may be many reasons for power loss, such as the inlet manifold being choked up because of the EGR valve depositing carbon into it (and the oil from the breather mixing with this and creating an oily "goo" that can choke the engine)

Or the DPF is clogged up (if fitted)

Or the air filter needs changing (+ more servicing )

Sometimes, a good "italian tune up" helps

Start with the air and fuel filters, cheapest fixes in all reality. The problem can be that the load on the engine, combined with any damaged filter is drawing in more air than required, and causes a loss of power due to an imbalance of fuel and air.

• 7 years later...
On 9/28/2013 at 7:45 PM, mondeo lover said:

Hi everyone again,

Thanks for any reply.

Hi there a long time ago now I know but did you ever get to the bottom of this?? Thanks

Yeah, it's so annoying that people don't bother to update their OPs

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club