Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2009 1.8 Low Idle On Start (Fine After)

Lee.T

Hi, Last week I bought a 2009 Focus Zetec S (1.8), 34,000 miles and full Ford service history (I just had the 3rd Service/37,000 mile service done on Friday).

Sometimes on start up when cold (if I don't give the car any revs at all) it idles around 500rpm. Hit the accelerator and the car will rev to about 1,800/2,000rpm and then drop to a comfortable 800rpm. It doesn't happen all the time and if it does its only on start up after a period of standing (couple of hours). Is this the Idle Control Valve (I'm not massively techy but reading up on here it sounds similar its just I've not seen anyone mention that the issue is only on start up)???.

The car came with 1 month warranty from the garage which I bought it from.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I presume its petrol? in which case the Idle Control Valve is a good place to start, that would normally infer higher revs at most points of being idle, 800 isnt that bad.

If its diesel, it could be a glow plug issue

Yes it's Petrol. It usually idles around 800rpm when warm but occasionally on start it's sitting at 500rpm which causes it to feel like it's about to stall (not surprisingly). The thing that throws me is that it doesn't happen all the time and only ever happens on start-up

sounds to me like its fuel starvation. Normally revs are about 680 on idle, either your idle control valve needs a clean or swapping, or perhaps your not getting fuel efficiently causing the stammers...

Mine is 1.8 petrol 2008 titanium and I had a similar if not the same issue as yours! I had the throttle body changed on mine and it never did it again.

no idle control valve on youre car its ecu controlled as greg said the throttle body is a known issue with only a months warranty ide get it sorted now or pay the price later

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club