Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Needed...

david kennedy

hi guys,could do with some advice on an abs/esp problem,i initially had a front o/s wheel bearing,which was grinding and squeeling,decided to change the culprit,with no problems until i had to tap out the abs sensor. i fitted a new sensor and low and behold! i now have a esp/abs light on?could it be a dodgy new bearing? the car goes into what i think is limp mode after reaching 55mph/ and wont let me get into 6th gear? any help would be greatly appreciated...

you need to replace these sensors in two's for front and rear at least, better still, buy the original ford part and replace just one.

I recon the issue is that three wheels are being monitored by Ford, the other is by another person, who may read the signals slightly differently.

If you replace the sensor with an original ford one, you should find that once you clear the error, or start the car again and when you hit about 10mph, it should test and clear the light.

thanks guys for the possible solutions,turns out it was the wheel bearing!!a challenging fix :( but alls well that ends well!!

how can a replaced bearing give an abs fault? did you plug sensor in properly ?lol

if the bearing is ground down, the cogs / teeth cant be read properly by the sensor, thus the sensor on one wheel counts ten cogs in one go, the other counts no cogs or a lot less. Therefore it thinks the wheels are travelling at two different speeds, panics and warns you.

Glad you got it sorted though! how much of a cost and time was it to replace?

no i mean was it the replaced bearing that caused it or another wheel bearing?

turned out the bearing i replaced for the wrong model,the depth and circumference was the same as the original bearing,on stripping the strut out for the second time,i counted the bearings from the original one ,and the new one i replaced had one less ball bearing in the race,heres mehinking ,d maybe damaged the abs ring!.another trip to the motor factor,said bearing purchased at £15,new sensor £18,and i replaced the bottom wishbone pinch bolt as its a bugger to free off!cost of new bolt £8.obviously the ecu was misreading the wheel speed,thus the aforesaid ABS/ESP fault showing up.All in all afew lessons learned in the process. took about 3 hours to do the job!!(twice)...Good as new now,and much quieter!!!!!!ps...pressing in the new bearing,without a hydraulic press is not for the weak willed lol..but managable !!!!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club