Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't Decide Between 1.0 Or 1.6 Ecoboost

mellula

Hi

I urgently need some assistance.

I am looking for a Ford Focus (I know that) !!!

But...I am unsure how powerful (if powerful enough for a family of 4) is the new 1.0 ecoboost 125 bhp??? I know it's a 3 cylinder engine but if it was such a good engine why was it not made for longer ???

I've been told by a Ford geek that the majority of power comes from the ecoboost (turbo) bit of the engine and it isn't big enough to support the amount of power it uses so either the engine or the turbo will give up the ghost soon enough? But when ???

Then there's the 1.6 125 bhp or 150 bhp of which I have been told the fuel consumption is terrible especially on the 150 bhp.

I'm really confused and need some help as I was hoping to buy my car this weekend.

I have a beautiful Fiesta Titanium but it's a little on the small side and drove an older focus previously and wish I'd have never bought this Fiesta.

Any advice would be great. ASAP please !!!

Cheers

• Like 1

The 3 cylinder ecoboost is a modern, lightweight and compact engine, it is well designed and if properly serviced should last for years, there is no reason it should "give up the ghost" and "it isnt big enough to support the amount of power it uses" does not really mean anything - otherwise stock 1.0L ecoboost engines have been mapped to 150Hp, with no immediate problems

How much power you need is a personal choice thing, it depends what you are used to, but i would say coming from a Fiesta 1.4L tdci you would find a 1.0L ecoboost-powered Focus not underpowered, and even "nippy" (reasonably quick)

Have you considered a Diesel-powered Focus?

Try taking your potential purchases for a test-drive - to help make your mind up

• Like 2

I have a 1.6 150 , and the engine and power is great , yes fuel consumption is not great , but if your planning a family holiday with four of you and luggage then i would imagine although i don't know , ! perhaps a lot for the 1.0 125 to cope with on a long trip , the reported figures for the 1.0 125 are not great either for what Ford claim it should do.

As 80% of my trips are short distance to work and back i'm only getting recently gone up to 31mpg , but i also have a heavy foot :)

I think it would be worth test driving the 1.0 125PS and see how you find it. Could always bring along a couple of family members or friends to put in the back too.

Otherwise as has been mentioned, have you thought about the diesel engines? What sort of journeys will you be doing?

What are the reasons for excluding diesels? It's better on fuel, alot more low end torque that will be very useful for carrying the family about it's the best of both worlds.

Test drive a diesel if you can, the 1.6 will keep you very happy. i would stay away from the 1.0L 125ps ecoboost personally, no matter how much turbo power it has trying to move off with it loaded will feel like a 1.0L with no turbo because turbo isn't doing very much if you aren't reving and that's where the diesel low end torque makes sense

the 1.0 is good for short drives, or mostly town and country driving. It gives you the big car but with the general efficiency of a small one.

I would personally look at diesel if your going to do about 13 - 14 thousand miles a year. Otherwise Petrol is the better option.

The 1.0 Eco with its turbo hasnt really had long enough to bed in, in that most cars are now starting to rack up the mileage, but there isnt enough to say your first turbo will only last X,000 miles. I would suggest that unless your going to drive the car on a brimmed fuel tank, with the car loaded with bricks and to its maximum capacity for 12 hours a day, everyday, then you shouldnt see any engine concerns, such as turbo.

Dont get me wrong, a 1.0 luggng a Focus about is not as easy or nimble as lugging a KA or a Fiesta about, the turbo gives it the extra get up and go that it needs, but IMHO, unless your looking for a workhorse, then the 1.0 eco should be fine.

Otherwise, the 1.6 is a good workhorse in the 120HP, with a compromise on efficiency and ability, whereas if you can and will be willing to afford it, then diesel is best for fuel economy, an excellent workhorse, and a generally robust motor. But you do have the outlay in the first place.

My advice is this. If you want a good car, get the 1.0 ecoboost, its not going to get you diesel MPG, but you get the same car for your money, you have a reasonable amount of power, and a low emissions, so keep the bank happy. If you want a car for a long haul, such as a holiday and you dont really want to drive yours on it - rent a car for a week. It might be a little more expensive, but it means you pay for diesel MPG for a short period, you have a fully covered and insured car, it can handle the workload, a replacement is immediately available at will, and you dont have to worry about hurting your motor!

Thanks all for your advice. Now I've decided to go for the 1.0 ecoboost 125 bhp...I can't find one in my budget, but I'm going to keep looking...no rush. I may even sell mine private. Thanks again.

• 5 months later...

After all my searching I have ended up with a Focus 62 plate 1.0 125 BHP from Polar Ford Bradford and I love it. Got it in October with 5000 on clock but around a month ago I started hearing a loud screeching noise coming from the clutch. Rang Polar, and was unable to get it in straight away, it was around 3 weeks later. It seems to mainly scream when I am on a hill, or basically using clutch control (as you do) !!!

Took it in on 26th and saw a service receptionist that thought he was mechanic of the year and what did I know about cars.

He said " We don't want to be messing around with the clutch or brakes due to asbestos". I thought, I haven't mentioned the brakes and do they still use asbestos? "The noise is a trait of the Focus". I thought Bull****. "We'll have to get someone to come out with you.Then I got, "When did the car last make the noise? Has it made a noise today? How often does it make the noise"? etc etc.

Went out with a lovely mechanic and surely enough, the car screeched and he said that it was definitely the clutch. Went back to see jobs worth and booked it in. I was told it takes a day to get the authorisation from Ford Connect and a day to fit but we'll ring you to let you know tomorrow (27th).It will be ready 28th (Friday)

No call from Polar, so 28th I rang and was told that they haven't had had the authorisation yet but we'll let you know Monday, car should be ready Tuesday. No call from them Tuesday so I rang them again. I was now told that there was still no authorisation from Ford and I said that I was concerned as what would happen if they said no to a repair. Well at the moment we are sending them further photo's as they say they want more. I wanted to know how they can see a fault from a photo? I was told "Oh, they can".

Well I was expecting a call today as I rang again Wed and was told the authorisation has finally come and my car will be ready Thursday. Well still no call from them and I'm still without my car over a week later.

Boring Boring I know, but has anyone else experienced similar with Ford? I'm really disappointed with the customer service, well lack of it. I don't know what to do next.

After all, I'm a woman...what do I know !!!

That's not great service and it sounds like you have met a right plonker of a so called mechanic. I doubt if it was Ford holding things up, sounds more like the dealership dragging their feet. My local Ford dealer is great. I cant fault them. Its just a shame I no longer have a Ford.

• Like 1

Yup been there done that mine was refused. Same bs as yours clutch problem when taking off it. In the end I paid a fat bill of £1200 for a new clutch and slave cylinder its for sure a ford fault with clutches dealers however place the blame on user because its a wear and tear component I can only hope they pay for it because being £1200 out of pocket is a bitter pill to swallow

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Oh god. Yeh, that's what they said. The slave cylinder. Wear and tear after 5 months? Hardly. Well I won't take it lying down, they'll have a fight on their hands. I've got their Fiesta so I'll return it when mine is repaired.

Thank you.

My car was 3 years old when it happened. A 10 plate, funny thing is tje fiesta I had while my car was at ford for two weeks... was also making the same sound as my focus. I have personally witnessed it on focuses and fiestas its not user abuse its a fault with the clutch, sadly I have no evidence to help you in this case, although I was promised photos etc I never got any and I needed my car for work so I paid up

Sent from my automated robot M1X-M4573R-700N3Y

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club