Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard To Start When Turning Ignition

Hey Guys,

I have 3 issues and i have 2008 Ford Focus 1.6

This is something have happens maybe 2/3 times a week, more now that the weather has got a little bit colder.

I try to start the car and the engine keeps turning over, i have to either stop for a moment and try again or ive put my foot on the accelerator to add some boost.... is there anything that i should be checking?

2nd Issue:

i noticed a slight vibration through my clutch/brake and accelator peddle if i rest my foot on it whilst driving, im not sure if this is just the vibrations of the car or maybe the peddle plates need replacing as theyre slightly warn.

3rd Issue:

When pulling off for the first time, i notice that there is a "Click/Clunk" when getting into around 10/15mph ive heard this is the ABS Check which is fine, but if i'm pulling off and turning right at the same time it have more of a Grinding/Scraping noise instead of the usual click.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hey Guys,

I have 3 issues and i have 2008 Ford Focus 1.6

This is something have happens maybe 2/3 times a week, more now that the weather has got a little bit colder.

I try to start the car and the engine keeps turning over, i have to either stop for a moment and try again or ive put my foot on the accelerator to add some boost.... is there anything that i should be checking?

2nd Issue:

i noticed a slight vibration through my clutch/brake and accelator peddle if i rest my foot on it whilst driving, im not sure if this is just the vibrations of the car or maybe the peddle plates need replacing as theyre slightly warn.

3rd Issue:

When pulling off for the first time, i notice that there is a "Click/Clunk" when getting into around 10/15mph ive heard this is the ABS Check which is fine, but if i'm pulling off and turning right at the same time it have more of a Grinding/Scraping noise instead of the usual click.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1st Issue not sure on this as I used to have a similar issue on my 2004 MK1 Focus 1.8. I used to get it only once every few months where it would just turn over and over and over etc and not engage. Turned it off and back on again and all was well. My mate with a similar focus used to tell me he would get the same thing every now and again and it never seemed to cause an issue for either of us in the long run.

2nd Issue not sure on that one I'm afraid. May just be normal vibrations like you say.

3rd Issue, you are absolutely correct it is the ABS check. I get this on my ST too and it is a definite clunk and like yours mine makes a weird noise if you pull away for the first time and you are turning. I have read many times that this is 100% normal though and nothing to worry about :D

Hi James, thanks for replying so quickly!

Im a little paranoid with this car a I bought it in april from Evans Halshaw... ive had a poor experience with this company in regards to sluppering of the car and tge things which ment they replaced the spark leads, coil pack and spark plugs (apparently) and to top it it was serviced by them in January and as of now my oil is low....

Rant over!

Thanks James

• 4 weeks later...

Just abit of an Update for the 1st Issue:

I've changed the spark plugs and leads, thinking that the issue was that... this isnt the case, i still get the same issue, especially if i turn the key straight away.

any suggestions?

Thanks

an evans halshaw service means an oil and filter change and onlyn the oil filter at that word of advice get youreelf a warranty if you bought it from them they are cowboys i got my focus from them and despite them putting a new mot on it i had to take it back for rotten brake pipes worn rear bushes worn front suspension arms the rear window had a 3 inch gap under the spoiler where it wasnt bonded leaking washer jets no mudflaps despite advertised as such then they had to pay £700 to replace the ti vct cam and timing belts

Well i have had a bad experience with Evan Halshaw also, when i bought the car, it spluttered on accelorating, slow flat tyre, low oil level and a few other problems.

appreantly they changed the coil pack, coil pack leads, spark plugs and new spark plug leads, topped up the oil, changed the tyre.

Now, i changed the Spark Leads, Spark Plugs and topped up the oil myself just recently as they havent done it, so everything seems to be running smoothly apart from the odd ignition thing.

could it be the battery?

Warranty is expensive and its something i cannot afford

it could be the battery any garage will test it free do what i did get on the phone and ask to see the reciepts and the worksheet to say it was done i bet they cant provide it

My son has a similar problem as you with his 1.8 we find if we just nudge the connector on the tps it usually starts straight after have not got around to replacing it yet but once started car will run fine not sure if it's coincidence but we did try a spare tps I had in the shed been in my box of spares for a while and it would not start at all with that one on put the other one back on and although it started the intermittent fault remains more so after a down pour so we have given it a liberal coat of wd40 seems to have done the trick for now anyway .

My thoughts are that:

1) Possibly fuel filter. I suspect that the issue is that the cold is causing a crack to expand, sucking air in. By putting the gas pedal down as your starting the car, your putting more fuel in to try and compensate, hence the sporadic nature. It might be worth getting it checked and/or changed.

2) Probably standard vibrations, you will always feel something, but if its excessive then there could be either an engine or gearbox mount that might need replacing, alternatively, if the car is high miles and original clutch, it could be indicating that its reaching the end of its lifespan.

3) As you have seen / suggested etc, its the standard ABS self test clunk.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club