Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2 Common Problems Thread

jamesm182

The clip or clamp is not free of the rubber hose, it is joined by glue.It would have to be forced off, in order to use a jubilee.Thank you for your help.

20220129_190426.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all I have a 15 plate zetec s. I have noticed that I seem to be using alot of engine coolant. I checked it yesterday and it was at the max line I've went out to check it again this morning and it's empty. At other times I have topped it up to max drove it and then the water has gone over the max line when checked again. I have had a mechanic run a diagnostic to see if it is the head but that came back fine. Any ideas. I also noticed this morning there was some coolant at the front drivers side of the car just where the coolant bottle is but can feel no water around this. Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Carly2605 said:

Hi all I have a 15 plate zetec s. I have noticed that I seem to be using alot of engine coolant. I checked it yesterday and it was at the max line I've went out to check it again this morning and it's empty. At other times I have topped it up to max drove it and then the water has gone over the max line when checked again. I have had a mechanic run a diagnostic to see if it is the head but that came back fine. Any ideas. I also noticed this morning there was some coolant at the front drivers side of the car just where the coolant bottle is but can feel no water around this. Thanks 

Check the drivers mat for damp, common issue is a heater matrix issue where the seals often give way...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carly2605 said:

I also noticed this morning there was some coolant at the front drivers side of the car just where the coolant bottle is but can feel no water around this.

When my car was losing coolant, I put some cardboard under the coolant tank. And it got wet and stained. There was a tiny, invisible crack in the tank. A new tank (about £21 I think) fixed it.

Check the oil from time to time, look out for any grey emulsion inside the cam cover or, most likely place, inside the crankcase breather hoses.

As Stephen says, heater leaks can soak carpets in the footwells. Head gasket leaks will make the exhaust steamy (white smoke) at times, and smell of anti-freeze.

Then there is the radiator & all the rest of the hoses & pipes, plus the water pump, in the engine bay to look at.

Hi, I have a ford focus2 facelift 1.6 diesel in 2009 and for almost 2 years I have a problem, I drive with the car and every time I get an error on the display (Motorstörung) and the car is capped and does not accelerate but if I stop it and I stay for a few seconds and it goes well again, meaning it doesn't pass a certain speed and it doesn't exceed the speed of 80km / h I sent the cesars to be repaired and after I reassembled the car it still does for me, I went to another service and there they told me that it could be from the car computer but they have nowhere to put another one and if I receive or find it, they tell me to go and change it, I specify that the tester does not show any error, please if you can help me.

thank you

21 hours ago, tepy said:

I specify that the tester does not show any error,

I guess this means a diagnostic system did not show any DTCs (Error codes). If a warning light is on, there will be one or more DTCs stored somewhere. It may mean either using Forscan:

https://forscan.org/download.html

or an expensive visit to a good (?) Ford francised main dealer.

It may need the warning light to be on for the DTC to be found, some can disappear very quickly. So having your own Forscan system can be a benefit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have a stupid question, does the 1.4 petrol version has an egr valve? I don't find anything on the web. Every morning or every cold start I would say, the car is choking and coughing until it either totally dies or the rpm comes back up from like 200 to 1500 and then it stabilizes at around 1000. I have 200 000km in this 2006 focus and I use it daily for a 3km trip to work then back home, and once or twice per month a 30km trip on a highway. I'm thinking on some "airways" being filled up with goo. 

On 4/21/2022 at 6:15 AM, Heleas03 said:

does the 1.4 petrol version has an egr valve?

There is no reference to EGR on the circuit diagrams or on 7ZAP. These are both usually accurate, so I would say no EGR.

For such short journeys, the 1.4 should be about the best choice, with the quickest warm-up. For poor starting like this, always 1st suspect is ignition & plug condition. Then battery condition, battery volts falling during start can cause problems. Those short journeys will not keep a battery fully charged, even with the odd 30km as well. I have found that it can take several hours to fully saturate charge a battery once it gets depleted. A charger is by far the best way.

Small air leaks in the inlet manifold & vacuum pipes to the servo can cause rough running when cold, a richer mix is needed with a cold engine. Air leaks make it leaner, though once it is up and running the ECU will compensate.

Then the possibilities open up quite a lot, from wear and sticky oil in the throttle body, to carbon & ash deposits on injectors and around valves, and to valve seat leakage and general cylinder head condition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello guys, I noticed that the dashboard doesn't light up when I switch the headlights on IF the ignition is off. I remember it being lit up when I was taking the contact out unless I manually switched the headlights off, pretty weird huh. 

3 minutes ago, Fuscus said:

Hello guys, I noticed that the dashboard doesn't light up when I switch the headlights on IF the ignition is off. I remember it being lit up when I was taking the contact out unless I manually switched the headlights off, pretty weird huh. 

The headlights will not work when the ignition is off. Switch the ignition on, then turn headlights on, and the headlight symbol on dash will light up as it should... Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

The headlights will not work when the ignition is off. Switch the ignition on, then turn headlights on, and the headlight symbol on dash will light up as it should... Welcome to the forum.

Thx,

So the dashboard doesn't light up when I flip the switch? I remember it does, regardless of the ignition position. The rest of the buttons from the console do.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Fuscus said:

So the dashboard doesn't light up when I flip the switch? I remember it does, regardless of the ignition position.

271122858_dashlightscaption.thumb.jpg.cc4f74d93cc7964e8c149278a20f14ad.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fuscus said:

I noticed that the dashboard doesn't light up when I switch the headlights on IF the ignition is off.

An interesting statement but you can not turn the headlights 'on' if the ignition is 'off'

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I have a 2009 mk2 panther black facelift 2.0 tdci. Had over 1500 worth of upgrades from new. 72000 miles. I love her! She has a knock that cant he diagnosed. I have tried numerous times at garages and still no joy. She is we looked after so this is a mystery. Any advice as this is driving me nuts!

Posting the same information in more that one thread just leads to confusion and very few answers.

• Like 1

I am new to all this. Cool ya jets, I'll learn as I go. 

4 minutes ago, Focus rules said:

Cool ya jets,

mmm... might work, running a cold water pipe over the injection system may well indeed stop premature ignition, and calm that knocking 🤣

• Haha 1

I have been told by friend maybe a sub frame Bush??

• 8 months later...

First time post, just got a 2018 model Focus with all the toys and still figuring it all out. It makes a chirp noise every 20-30 seconds that I cannot figure out. It happens all the time, when in park or driving. They key fob battery was low, not that. The noise is even audible to people I am on the phone too using the in car audio. I don't understand what it could be. Any help appreciated!

Roy.

18 minutes ago, Roy56 said:

First time post, just got a 2018 model Focus ...

Help us out buddy, your profile doesn't match you question (2018/2020) and tell us what model/trim you have...

950514801_wrongprofile.jpg.57fa4f9b4b5f08ea8d7ef066fe1b25eb.jpg

Sorry, it's a 2020 plate, but I thought that model was 2018-2021, PoS docs say Focus 2019. I've been flicking through the owners manual here but no luck so far. It's an estate and a Titanium X. 1.5L EcoBoost-I3/Auto (05/2018) petrol.

9 hours ago, Roy56 said:

Sorry, it's a 2020 plate,...

Roy, you may get a better response if you posted your query on the main Focus Forum starting a new thread, this thread is so old, and not frequently visited.

• 9 months later...

Hi can anyone help  please I have a 1.8 59 plate Ford focus titanium estate in idol the revs drop and it stalls its also stalled while driving and obviously kangaroos thanks for any advise given

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club