Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Snagglepuss Build Thread Lenny's New Whip

Lenny

might be the pic but does not look like it was fully welded,from here. either that or some previous owner was going to chop the pipes from the manifold base plate and make a full custom exhaust?

• Like 1

might be the pic but does not look like it was fully welded,from here. either that or some previous owner was going to chop the pipes from the manifold base plate and make a full custom exhaust?

I dont know mate,

Honestly I'm stumped, the only thing keeps crossing my mind is WHY lol

I see what your saying mate and i agree but who in there rite mind would cut a manifold then decide "eh no I won't bother" then not seal it neither just put it back on the car with a hole in it and drive around :wacko:

All I know is the car needs a few bits repaired:

Cut manifold,

Leaking pre-silencer

Broken lambda sensor,

Surface rust in boot wells behind arches,

Torn drivers seat,

Leaking windscreen washer bottle,

Broken windscreen,

Keyed body work,

Broken climate control (won't switch off)

And missing inside arch cover on drivers side.

I don't want to have to Shell out loads to have the manifold removed,

Just to have it weld then refitted.

Because the long term plan is to fit a fujitsubo extractor manifold so its pointless removing this one twice and paying for it,

Another option is to get it welded in place,

Third option is some gun gum from holts,

Involves no welding and wraps around the pipe,

Its a clean cut no rust or decay so should be a very easy hole to seal,

Shouldn't be as much pressure as a whole exhaust because its only one cylinder blowing through the section.

So the holts gun gum tape should hold for a few months on the road until I get through the MOT and save cash for a fujitsubo extractor manifold.

Here's the fujitsubo popular upgrade for the black top engine ceriified gains and reduction of 0-60 times http://www.rhdjapan.com/fujitsubo-super-ex-header-exhaust-manifold-toyota-ae101-ae111-ae111g.html

Here's the holts stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUN-GUM-SELF-ADHESIVE-REPAIR-TAPE-FOR-EXHAUST-SYSTEMS-SEALS-GAS-LEAKS-2-x36-/390613488881?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item5af260d4f1

Lenny sometimes I think you look at the worse case scenario first, well If they were smart enough to know cylinder 2 was causing high emmisions, they would of come up with a better solution than cutting the manifold, If your in any doubt on this engine, do a compression test to see what it is like, you have already said its not billowing smoke so we know the oil rings are intact, if you do find a low reading put some oil down the plug hole and repeat test, if reading goes up its rings at fault, if it stays the same its the valve not seating correct. on the gum stuff it will work for a while but the hotter it gets the shorter it will work, also you would be better off getting the manifold warm first then turning engine off then putting it on and waiting for it to dry as at the manifold the pressure would just blow it away if not hard. the pressure will be constant with pulses aswell as exhausts work with back pressure unless the exhaust is large and straight through.

• Like 2

Lenny sometimes I think you look at the worse case scenario first, well If they were smart enough to know cylinder 2 was causing high emmisions, they would of come up with a better solution than cutting the manifold, If your in any doubt on this engine, do a compression test to see what it is like, you have already said its not billowing smoke so we know the oil rings are intact, if you do find a low reading put some oil down the plug hole and repeat test, if reading goes up its rings at fault, if it stays the same its the valve not seating correct. on the gum stuff it will work for a while but the hotter it gets the shorter it will work, also you would be better off getting the manifold warm first then turning engine off then putting it on and waiting for it to dry as at the manifold the pressure would just blow it away if not hard. the pressure will be constant with pulses aswell as exhausts work with back pressure unless the exhaust is large and straight through.

Thanks mate,

Your rite if they know cylinder two was at fault they would do something else,

You know better than me on these things I'm only learning lol

Will i need a gauge for compression testing ?

Driving home it went off the speedo in 5th and no blue smoke so I'm guessing compression is good

And thanks for the advise on sealing the manifold,

I'll run it idle to get it hot then wear some gloves and apply the tape,

Followed by running it idle for a further 10 minutes,

Its off the road until February anyways

After that I'll look in to replacing the exhaust and spaying the body.

you need a compression tester, they cheap enough for petrols but costly for diesels, see if anyone local has one.

• Like 1

you need a compression tester, they cheap enough for petrols but costly for diesels, see if anyone local has one.

Will do thanks,

I've saw edd china use one before,

Screws in instead of the spark plug then you crank it,

Gauge then sweeps and sticks at its highest read out.

Should all 4 be the same or close to it?

yes, and take all leads off and open throttle fully whilst cranking for a couple of seconds, you will be able to find the official figures online for it.

• Like 1

All the readings should be similar and to manufacturers tolerances.

On chevking up I believe the mean pressure for your engine is around 168 lbs

I was always advised that compression testing is best done with an open throttle on a cold engine to eliminate any uneven expansion from heat skewing the figures.

• Like 2

On the manifold, just looks like a pretty terrible job if you ask me, it's never had weld on half of it. I'd just gunk it up for now.

• Like 1

yes, and take all leads off and open throttle fully whilst cranking for a couple of seconds, you will be able to find the official figures online for it.

All the readings should be similar and to manufacturers tolerances.

On chevking up I believe the mean pressure for your engine is around 168 lbs

I was always advised that compression testing is best done with an open throttle on a cold engine to eliminate any uneven expansion from heat skewing the figures.

Thanks guys,

I've gotten a price off eBay on a petrol compression test kit, there around 50 pounds for a descent one,

I'll get a price from my local indie mechanic if he's charging over 50pound to perform a compression test on the car then :lol: I'll purchase my own kit and do it myself.

On the manifold, just looks like a pretty terrible job if you ask me, it's never had weld on half of it. I'd just gunk it up for now.

Thanks Dave mate,

The entire exhaust is in bits,

Almost purchased the Toyota lambda sensor, just need one more person to join the group purchase,

Collecting a cat back standard Levin exhaust next Monday this will eliminate 4 out of 5 holes in the existing system,

I plan to purchase a holts gun gum pack on Thursday to patch the manifold that's the 5th hole,

I thought she was fast before, she'll be some weapon when the lambda sensor is in and back pressure regulated :lol:

The Levin is officially declared off the road until March 2014

Its tax expires 01 november 2013

Nct/mot expires March 2014

My current insurance on the focus expires mid February,

Once the year is up on the focus I will take my earned 3yrs no claims bonus and use it on the Levin,

So by mid February I hope to get the lambda sensor fitted, manifold patched, cat back fitted, windscreen replaced, heater control and washer bottle fixed.

Then I can put it in for MOT in march,

Following that its saving for body shop realistically could be July allowing for worst cost scenario

Now with that said and budgeting it all out,

I'm hoping the patched manifold and replacement cat back will all last me until October next year,

I reckon it will be that before I've saved the cash to import a fujitsubo extractor manifold and a varex remote muffler.

I'll take it to souhan.ie the guys in trim co.Meath who fitted the piper duplex on the focus.

I'll present them with the manifold, 200 cell cat and muffler,

Get them to fill in the missing piping and make it all sing.

Hard to put a price on that but the guys work is fantastic and the best for the car, considering what its been through with the existing setup I think it deserves it.

• Like 1

Been a while but I've got an update guys

Sorry for the poor image quality guy's my 7 yr old phone won't let me transfer images anymore so I'm using the camera on the 7" android tablet which isint great quality.

I was up in Wicklow on friday

Met a fella called Stead who has 2 beautiful levins he's supplied me with a washer bottle, pipercross panel filter, Toyota oil filter, and a Cwest front bumper all for 252 euro he supplies all the genuine toyota maintenance parts for the Levin aswell as breaking parts,

IMG_20131104_190408_zps45d11f91.jpg

IMG_20131104_190221_zps209aa618.jpg

IMG_20131104_190230_zpsb3ba9c6b.jpg

IMG_20131104_190240_zps83740702.jpg

I then traveled to Wexford

Met a fella called Dean,

Supplied me with a Windscreen in excellent condition for 340 euro :)

Give me a number for a Wexford automotive glass company who removed it from the Levin for 80 euro,

So they will call to the house and fit for 80 euro,

Image3928_zpsc8fbaf67.jpg

I bought the windscreen because Toyota charge 1276 euro to supply one from japan because its not a European car they have to import special and they won't cover insurance on shipping glass.

And insurance company's only pay up to 500 euro on windscreen cover,

There's no company that supply windscreen for the Levin these days except Toyota or breakers.

Today i left the house at 6am traveled 3hrs 35min from east coast to west coast,

Met Nicky in limerick,

He's supplied me with a full standard Levin cat back exhaust,

I got home at 1pm and had some hammerite smooth finish silver paint left in a tin,

So I decided to give the new cat back a wire brush and a coat of hammerite to help it last.

It will get me out of a hole and help prepare for NCT in march.

Here it is before paint

IMG_20131024_141012_zps6fb913b2.jpg

And here it is now

IMG_20131104_190032_zps3058f5ee.jpg

Image3908_zpsfc1f600f.jpg

I went out to the exhaust manifold at 5pm today,

I was in Halfords yesterday and purchased a kit called "Super Steel"

Consists of two tubes of resin that you mix and apply,

Image3907_zpsbd07cf2d.jpg

It sets in 5min and goes rock solid in 2hrs so I first cleaned the area followed by running the engine for 10 minutes,

I then applied the mix and left it to set,

Image3909_zps05b2b4ee.jpg

I run the engine there 5 minutes ago and the resin began to fry,

Absolutely stinking,

My jacket is stink in too,

It has set OK now but has turned to chalk type substance,

It has stopped the leak but I reckon it will break through in time so ultimately it needs welding :rolleyes:

Finally then

I've go my name down for a group purchase from Japan for a genuine Toyota lambda sensor,

Just need one more member to put there name down then they can be purchased,

They cost 172euro from local dealer OR 92euro on a group purchase from toyota in japan.

SAM_0581_zps75289b26.jpg

About time we got an update man, when reading post I was thinking that resin for the mani would not work, also painting the exhaust wont either so get ready for some more smelly times lol. the bumper looks sweet and glad you got the new Lamba but a kick in the nuts about windscreen cover on it, although you have sourced one pretty cheap compared to new from toyota its still something I would not of budgeted for. Since the rainy season is upon us have you not thought about a gazebo to keep the car and you under, the last one I got was £50 from Argos and fair enough not all of car would fit but prob 75% of it lengthways but width no prob at all.

• Like 2

About time we got an update man, when reading post I was thinking that resin for the mani would not work, also painting the exhaust wont either so get ready for some more smelly times lol. the bumper looks sweet and glad you got the new Lamba but a kick in the nuts about windscreen cover on it, although you have sourced one pretty cheap compared to new from toyota its still something I would not of budgeted for. Since the rainy season is upon us have you not thought about a gazebo to keep the car and you under, the last one I got was £50 from Argos and fair enough not all of car would fit but prob 75% of it lengthways but width no prob at all.

Thanks mate lol

Bought the car last month so the remainder of the months funding was tied up with bills,

The gazebo is a great idea, I had a pop up one before 8x8 loaned it to an old work mate and never got it back lol

I'm off work this week until 23:00 Friday night.

Its dry weather today so I'll get out to it later,

I want to get the headlining removed for two reasons.

1. The roof is dented on the front and the roof has been carbon wrapped.

I want to see if the dent caused the roof to leak, and that would explain the carbon wrap on the roof,

2. The roof lining is very dirty and aged,

I plan to have it coated in some black Alicante not expensive 28 pounds for a section to cover it,

Then some spray glue to stick it.

As you said mate the winter months at coming in fast,

But when I think of how much I'm gonna be out there for more than an hour I most likely wont be,

I've already stripped out the inside,

I do need to remove the dash to replace the heater vents,

But id prefer to wait until I have the replacement vents in my hands to fit because the job involves removing many different bolts,

If I removed it today and refitted at a later date when if gotten the vents I forget where each part went,

So that job is off until January when I purchase the vents.

The other jobs are to purchase some vibe audio cables aswell as some 10amp and 15amp cables from auto star,

Route them around the car for fitting lighting, reverse camera and replacement Speakers at later dates.

This will be easy with the car stripped so won't take over an hour out there.

Will be awkward at the moment though because the windscreen is resting in the boot and back seat area,

70 euro to have it fitted, but would the body shop need to remove it again for spraying?

Should I hold off for paint before fitting?

Its a great relief to have the windscreen sorted for a good price after hearing of the difficulty with Toyota I'm surprised to have gotten it 30 minutes from home for such money.

I need to find out the diameter of the washer jet hose from pump to jets,

Replace it with some samco blue.

Other than those few small jobs I won't be working on it until next year,

The fitting of the exhaust system and lambda sensor when it arrives; will be a trip to the local mechanics to be put up on the ramp and fitted, so ill be indoors for that and watching lol

I was thinking after I had painted the exhaust that it would smell a bit after fitting but can't smell as bad as he resin it was brutal lol

Thought the zinc content in the hammerite would keep the exhaust preserved a bit,

On an after thought,

I'll get the windscreen fitted in January because I want to have the car MOT done in march,

Followed by timing belt,

Then go at the body work painting after that.

So I'll need the windscreen fitted to pass the MOT

The new windscreen still has the insurance and NCT certs in the pouch on the glass :lol:

Thanks for comment on the front bumper,

I had considered a Bomex but there very popular and textbook,

The Cwest is harder to find and wraps over the side fenders just like the Bomex,

Takes away the lines visible on the standard bumper where it meets the fenders.

To go with the front bumper I'm looking for a rear lip or spats,

Cwest don't do anything for the rear bumper so I'm open to opinions on something matching.

The standard bzr skirts are fitted,

But after seeing a pre-facelift Levin there on Friday I think the AE101 skirts look better 95-98 model

But I can add them at a later time after spraying.

Just on the look out for something to do the rear bumper keeping in with the Cwest front.

I like the way the lower scoop on the Cwest is shaped to fit tight to the radiator channeling air straight through the rad.

I'm done shopping for the Levin no until January,

Santas coming next month so I've gotta work on that,

I'll be back to the project in the new year fitting exhaust system and windscreen in preperation for the MOT

Hopefully get her on the road late February.

• Like 1

Is the screen bonded or a traditional rubber, it will have to go in first anyway. get heat proof spray glue as the roof gets hot in the summer and a lot of people had bother with headlining that was not done with heat proof glue, so you have been warned lol. get you lass the skirts for xmas, all girls like skirts after all lol. have to run now as off to a funeral.

• Like 1

Is the screen bonded or a traditional rubber, it will have towasin first anyway. get heat proof spray glue as the roof gets hot in the summer and a lot of people had bother with headlining that was not done with heat proof glue, so you have been warned lol. get you lass the skirts for xmas, all girls like skirts after all lol. have to run now as off to a funeral.

no the screen has glue like tiger seal around the edge of it mate,

Had it been traditional rubber seal I could fit it myself with a bit of help and a copper wire ;)

I had a friend once who had a well excuse my words now but eh he had a 1990 vauxhall nova now known as a corsa :lol: someone ritefully smashed the windscreen because it was a cross,

Me self and himself sat in the front seats,

Feet on the windscreen and pushed her out on to the bonnet,

Then put the rubber seal on to the replacement windscreen,

Inserted a copper cable in to the rubber seal,

He held it up to the body,

I pulled the copper which brought the rubber inside the frame,

Job done.

But the Levin windscreen is the modern day figment,

I'm happy with that though,

I polished it up lovely yesterday with some armourall glass wipes, not one scratch on it :)

Thanks for tips on headlining adhesive,

I've managed to remove the headlining yesterday lol

. Image3910_zps7de81179.jpg

Image3911_zpsb42d2a34.jpg

Image3912_zpsf183fab3.jpg

Image3913_zpseb21da7c.jpg

Image3914_zpsf8f97285.jpg

Image3915_zps87c143ec.jpg

Image3916_zps20d9a14c.jpg

Image3917_zps5aeb9a9c.jpg

Image3918_zps2a43e398.jpg

Image3919_zps661e603b.jpg

Image3921_zps5b0add6a.jpg

Image3922_zpsf25ab037.jpg

Image3923_zpsf7fb0551.jpg

Image3924_zpsf008bff8.jpg

Image3925_zpseadf289e.jpg

Image3926_zpsebd57941.jpg

Image3926_zpsebd57941.jpg

I kept removing screws until suddenly :o

Had it fall down on me,

Had to ring her indoors to come out and open the drivers door, then slide it out,

Because I was under it on the floor and was afraid of breaking it if I was to try reach for the door :lol:

I can't repeat the names she called me because the words make baby Jesus cry,...

Anyways,

Got a look at the roof on the inside,

You see the roof has a few dents,

And its been carbon wrapped,

My fear was; the roof had been dented that badly it leaked thus the carbon wrap to stop leaks,

But thankfully this is not the case,

Yes the dents are visible inside but no signs of rust or evidence of any leaks,

So thankfully the roof can be panel bet, smoothed and resprayed along with the rest of the car no hassle.

Image3927_zpsb3f3639e.jpg

I'm now looking for a place to apply the new coating t the roof lining,

I plant to purchase black Alcantara on eBay aswell as the glue,

I then need an upholstery person to put A to B for me

Because I don't know how to tackle the folds in design.

Very dusty under the panels but I've gotten it all cleaned,

I'm very happy with how easy the car is to work with,

Panels are held with M8 or M12 bolts and Philips head screws no messing with torx heads at all

And great relief the roof inside is not leaking.

Your mad George,

Laughing and joking with us, then straight face time I'm off to a funeral :)

Speaking of which;

If I buy Victoria some pre-facelift skirts for the Levin for christmas ,

You will be attending my funeral for sure :lol:

Its her birthday in 8 days thinking of getting her a carbon wrapped summer frame ;)

Or some sports alluminim pedal covers for her zetecS

• Like 1

Theres loads of reviews on doing the headlining yourself, and on the funeral front, grandma was 92 so nobody can grumble she didnt have a good innings and it was not unexpected. as you get older and attend these more I think it hardens you to it.

• Like 1

Theres loads of reviews on doing the headlining yourself, and on the funeral front, grandma was 92 so nobody can grumble she didnt have a good innings and it was not unexpected. as you get older and attend these more I think it hardens you to it.

Thanks for the confidence on me doing it myself,

I'll have a look on YouTube,

Sorry for your loss mate,

Not saying im hard or toubh , more strange but;

I've lost 6 relatives over the years between aged 14-20 surprised I didn't get upset at any but it does cross my mind on occasions in recent years about 1 or 2 of them, starting to miss there words of wisdom and company now 8yrs later weird.

• Like 1

Is the screen bonded or a traditional rubber, it will have to go in first anyway. get heat proof spray glue as the roof gets hot in the summer and a lot of people had bother with headlining that was not done with heat proof glue, so you have been warned lol. get you lass the skirts for xmas, all girls like skirts after all lol. have to run now as off to a funeral.

no the screen has glue like tiger seal around the edge of it mate,

Had it been traditional rubber seal I could fit it myself with a bit of help and a copper wire ;)

I had a friend once who had a well excuse my words now but eh he had a 1990 vauxhall nova now known as a corsa :lol: someone ritefully smashed the windscreen because it was a cross,

Me self and himself sat in the front seats,

Feet on the windscreen and pushed her out on to the bonnet,

Then put the rubber seal on to the replacement windscreen,

Inserted a copper cable in to the rubber seal,

He held it up to the body,

I pulled the copper which brought the rubber inside the frame,

Job done.

But the Levin windscreen is the modern day figment,

I'm happy with that though,

I polished it up lovely yesterday with some armourall glass wipes, not one scratch on it :)

Thanks for tips on headlining adhesive,

I've managed to remove the headlining yesterday lol

I kept removing screws until suddenly :o

Had it fall down on me,

Had to ring her indoors to come out and open the drivers door, then slide it out,

Because I was under it on the floor and was afraid of breaking it if I was to try reach for the door :lol:

I can't repeat the names she called me because the words make baby Jesus cry,...

Anyways,

Got a look at the roof on the inside,

You see the roof has a few dents,

And its been carbon wrapped,

My fear was; the roof had been dented that badly it leaked thus the carbon wrap to stop leaks,

But thankfully this is not the case,

Yes the dents are visible inside but no signs of rust or evidence of any leaks,

So thankfully the roof can be panel bet, smoothed and resprayed along with the rest of the car no hassle.

I'm now looking for a place to apply the new coating t the roof lining,

I plant to purchase black Alcantara on eBay aswell as the glue,

I then need an upholstery person to put A to B for me

Because I don't know how to tackle the folds in design.

Very dusty under the panels but I've gotten it all cleaned,

I'm very happy with how easy the car is to work with,

Panels are held with M8 or M12 bolts and Philips head screws no messing with torx heads at all

And great relief the roof inside is not leaking.

Your mad George,

Laughing and joking with us, then straight face time I'm off to a funeral :)

Speaking of which;

If I buy Victoria some pre-facelift skirts for the Levin for christmas ,

You will be attending my funeral for sure :lol:

Its her birthday in 8 days thinking of getting her a carbon wrapped summer frame ;)

Or some sports alluminim pedal covers for her zetecS

Trying to google videos on driving levins with owners inside into harbours...eh gazebos!!! Skirts!!! Pedal covers!!!!!!=man getting his bits chopped off with a rusty pocket knife !!!! The list on the fridge will be enough of a bday pressie leonardo

• Like 2

Trying to google videos on driving levins with owners inside into harbours...eh gazebos!!! Skirts!!! Pedal covers!!!!!!=man getting his bits chopped off with a rusty pocket knife !!!! The list on the fridge will be enough of a bday pressie leonardo

For those reading this;

I'm off work this week and Victoria has placed a list of DIY jobs on the fridge door :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Only fair mate.

'She that must be obeyed' doesn't ask for much. :p

Sent using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 3

For those reading this;

I'm off work this week and Victoria has placed a list of DIY jobs on the fridge door :rolleyes:

Vicki must be better with fridges than washing machines then if it still has a door to stick a list too :P

and the gazebos was for Lenny, the skirts and ally peddle covers where for you Vicki, Pff no pleasing some folk :P saying that the big 40 should be done with a bit class and style so a 3m x 2m piece of Alcantara should sweeten the deal :ph34r:

• Like 1

Vicki must be better with fridges than washing machines then if it still has a door to stick a list too :P

and the gazebos was for Lenny, the skirts and ally peddle covers where for you Vicki, Pff no pleasing some folk :P saying that the big 40 should be done with a bit class and style so a 3m x 2m piece of Alcantara should sweeten the deal :ph34r:

Lmfao :lol: :l I'm gonna grab some pop corn and wait for the response George

I'm grabbing the spare room now tonite cos she's gonna be bit chin about you to me after reading this :lol:

Like a bag of whesals

• Like 1

Lmfao :lol: :l I'm gonna grab some pop corn and wait for the response George

I'm grabbing the spare room now tonite cos she's gonna be bit chin about you to me after reading this :lol:

Like a bag of whesals

Sorry mate, hope the spare bed is comfy lol, well im off to bed now as early start so will have to wait for Vicki,s response tomorrow thats if i dont pass away in the night from weird voodoo magic lol

does this mean I am off the Christmas card list :(

• Like 1

Sorry mate, hope the spare bed is comfy lol, well im off to bed now as early start so will have to wait for Vicki,s response tomorrow thats if i dont pass away in the night from weird voodoo magic lol

does this mean I am off the Christmas card list :(

:lol: I'll send you a Christmas card anyways,

Cleaned up the bumper this morning,

Its going up the attic until spraying next year but before I put it up there I thought Id set it in front of the car and take a few pictures,

The pictures are low quality but I've got better quality ones on my phone I'll get them transferd and edit this post at a later date,

But for now here it is:

IMG_20131107_114049_zps72d8b8ed.jpg

IMG_20131107_114011_zps95f29277.jpg

IMG_20131107_113936_zps25e844b7.jpg

• Like 1

Bumper looks sweet unlike the pics lol, normally peeps say sorry for poor quality pics as took on phone lol.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club