Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only Have One Key

fatgeezer

Hi,first Ford in a long time. Today I purchased a 1999 Focus 1.8 Ghia estate to use as a workhorse. The seller convinced me that a replacement key wouldn't be a problem to find as it 'Doesn't contain a transponder,so you can get one anywhere'. Wrong. I've trawled the internet to find a solution and to be honest my head is spinning now!. Could someone please tell me in plain English my cheapest option to get a spare made. Thanks.

All focus keys have a transponder chip, the seller lied.

You can get a cloned key from Timpsons but TBH I'd recommend calling in on an Auto Locksmith.

A bit more expensive but less likely to cause problems at a later date.

And for god's sake avoid going to a Ford Dealer, unless you like an empty wallet.

• Like 1

Have to agree with stoney on this one, you best bet is a locksmiths, (mobile or otherwise), just be certain to ask them if they clone the key, or programme the car, (It's the latter you want), as this will allow you to add keys to the system yourself, using the two keys you will have.

Fords are exorbitant, a few years back they wanted over £200 to programme new keys for a fiesta my son owned, got it done for a third of that price locally

• Like 1

Ford dont even do them i know for a fact they send them to the same auto locksmiths and pay pennies the locksmith cuts the key to the lock comes down to the dealer programmes it in and gets paid £60 ford then charge you £200 or more the guy who done mine cut and coded the supplied key for £30 took 10 minutes he had stacks of them for the ford dealer he had to do

• Like 1

That is how the guy I use for keys explains it too.

Ford order the key, charge you an hours labour and insists on a diagnostic then the Locksmith rocks up and does the cutting and coding in about 10 minutes tops.

Get your own key off eBay and ring a couple of local Auto Locksmiths for a quote.

Far cheaper and cuts out the middle man.

• Like 1

All done. £45 including a new battery for the old key. Thanks chaps.

by whom may we ask

Thats very good going, feel free to share a company name, it will be helpful for others in the essex area who may need it!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club